Have you got any rust on your MG ZS EV?

Have you got any visible rust on your MG ZS EV?

• Yes

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 89.1%

• Total voters
To be fair them 4 holes which have a plastic plug in are where is been attached to a machine conveyer belt when it's been made, they could have finished that off better quite easily, and I myself took these plugs out and smeered a little grease on just in case, and put the plastic plug back in, but mine look fine, it's not the end of world but could have been done better, dealers could easily fix this in 10 mins on a ramp.

It’s a little sad really, not interested as all cars will be about the same why are we making it a song and dance about this car....
Exactly (y)

haters GIF

The jacking points are not treated as you can see ,in the factory hè hang in a special system on the jacking points,and when the protection sprayt in the factory they forgot the jacking points....not Nice but no big problem it is a littlebit surface corrosion..with the first service they check it.

I was able to get underneath my car for the first time today. Mixed feelings about rust protection. Quite a few of the seams showed ‘browning’. The trouble is I have nothing to compare this to on other cars of this age with 5k miles covered. Some areas have great protection - others appear to have none. My overall impression was that if you really intend keeping the car then it might be worth getting it protected. Excuse my photos - they’re not great.

Attachments

• ECC2EF97-46CD-4AD1-8FD3-FB73555E8789.jpeg
    ECC2EF97-46CD-4AD1-8FD3-FB73555E8789.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 201
  • E47E686D-2CC9-4C05-9425-1988B4C79B64.jpeg
    E47E686D-2CC9-4C05-9425-1988B4C79B64.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 4C70B54C-A621-46DA-A7A6-140149EA3CBA.jpeg
    4C70B54C-A621-46DA-A7A6-140149EA3CBA.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 200
  • 60A7E461-1C52-4FD7-AD39-4987DDDC1334.jpeg
    60A7E461-1C52-4FD7-AD39-4987DDDC1334.jpeg
    357.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 278D04DD-072C-46E7-B955-2F4D5363A58A.jpeg
    278D04DD-072C-46E7-B955-2F4D5363A58A.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 3ACF86F8-D8AA-496A-9090-ECAC21413529.jpeg
    3ACF86F8-D8AA-496A-9090-ECAC21413529.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 197
Mine has some rust on those bungs and some in the engine bay on the chassis leg on the drivers side.

Yes - that seems quite a bad area. Overall I’m quite surprised to find early rust. It wouldn’t take much to protect these areas. I‘m not sure what to do really. MG will say it’s normal i’m sure. As i said it all depends on if I keep the car longer term - if not then it’s not really a problem - for me anyway. Shame.

The holes under the bungs are where the body shell is carried around the factory prior to the underbody items like the suspension / power plant etc gets installed.
They usually term both of these items coming together as the “Marriage”.
When the overhead cradle is release, these areas should then be treated with anti corrosion treatment, then the closing bungs should be installed.
When the car is picked up by the four pick up points of the cradle, the inside of the pick up points are scratched, leaving bare metal exposed on the body shell.
The bungs are fitted without any type of sealant, so as soon as they come into contact with water they rust almost straight away.
This could easily prevented by getting the dealer to remove the bungs on the PDI check and apply some sealant.
It would take no longer than 5 mins to perform this task on a ramp.
Once the bungs are fitted, then the surrounding area should be treated with underbody treatment.
The bungs never need removal again.
MG should have picked up on this issue and included this in the PDI work.
It’s not like the PDI is very lengthy anyway.
Book time for the PDI work is likely to be about one hour.
Many many years ago, I got the chance to do a brief work assignment at a car factory and was able to spend time on the production line.
Wow ..... I got to witness some interesting working practices !.
Like the time the night shift walked out ( in the middle of the night ) because somebody had forgotten to refill one of the vending machines on the day shift, I kid you not.
Cant see that happening in China some how ?.

Useful info thank you. I might pop out my bungs🤪 and have a look when weather gets a bit warmer. Maybe spray some wax in there?

Useful info thank you. I might pop out my bungs🤪 and have a look when weather gets a bit warmer. Maybe spray some wax in there?
Your very welcome !.
I am unable to gain access to the under body of my car due to a total knee replacement, so it will have to go untreated I am afraid.
If had the chance, I would remove the four bungs and inject some wax oil or something similar.
Then I would reinstall the bungs, seal around them and include the surrounding area.

When I purchased my car in late Oct 2020 I'd already read similar threads about the rust streaks so put the car up on ramps once I'd got it home and had a crawl around underneath. I noted that the underbody anti chip treatment wasn't applied everywhere as some areas had been masked off during production (including where the petrol tank would have been bolted to the body!) I treated these areas, which included around the bungs, with some underseal which I'd kept in the garage since the bad old pre-cavity wax days

Hopefully this has helped though I'm old enough to remember chassis members quietly rusting away underneath the underseal..........

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how the cars look at say 1st MOT. As I said previousl, it would be a shame if they did excessively rust due to poor preparation 😕

It will be interesting to see how the cars look at say 1st MOT. As I said previousl, it would be a shame if they did excessively rust due to poor preparation 😕
I would be extremely surprised that the MOT person would even consider inspecting for rust that could jeopardise the integral strength of the car at just 3 years old !.

I agree. I certainly wouldn’t expect rust to be that bad by then! I sort of meant see how well it’s lasted underneath after 3 years usage Really. I would really expect modern cars to stay clear of any major rust for say 15 years?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom