Help with My Lane Keep Assist Solution

I have made previous posts on this subject and have been surprised at some of the responses,

with many suggesting that they have no issues with Lane Keep Assist at all.

I can only assume they have never driven on narrow country roads or through roadworks with narrow lanes.

For me after driving the car for over 6 months with LKA switched ‘OFF’ (staying off), then following a

Software Upgrades LKA defaulting to ‘ON ‘ it is a nightmare.

Trying to remember to switch LKA ‘OFF’ every time I enter the car, or trying to switch LKA ‘OFF’ while

driving both often create a very dangerous situations.

My simple solution would be to have a voice command to switch LKA ‘OFF’

If you agree please contact MG Customer Service on ([email protected])
Hi
We've had our MG for just over a month now and we have to turn it to just alert whenever we leave home. But often forget, fine when there are 2 of us as the passenger can do it, but a pain when just a driver. We live in Scotland on narrow country lanes with ALOT of pot holes and flooding on nearside of the lanes, so when the lane assist is on it’s a proper nightmare fighting against it. So the ability to have it defaulted to own choice and be able to quickly turn it on and off would really be a massive improvement for us.

Do you find it an intolerable chore to turn it off at the start of each journey? That's what I do, and it never bothers me.
Not an intolerable chore, more an easy thing to overlook and potentially dangerous to remedy. I have done about 7,000 miles since February in a largely urban environment which includes some two and three lane highways and average trip time is probably about 15 minutes - that's a lot of fiddling around in the menus and always when I just want to get going.
Although my car's welcome message is "Do Not Forget LKA" it doesn't always play after a short stop and I find it's a twitching steering wheel that reminds me - invariably in a situation where disabling it myself is dangerous (anyone who drives regularly on a main road in Thailand will understand). Appointing my family and other regular front seat passengers Co-Pilots has worked well and is the nearest thing to Voice Control I can think of, although my children are starting to demand payment....

It does for me (last time I tried it). It obviously doesn't select Custom when you start the car, but for me it remembered what options I'd chosen for Custom. 🤷‍♂️
It does retain SOME combinations, which is even more annoying.

It does not retain drive eco-steer normal-pedal comfort, for example.

I have made previous posts on this subject and have been surprised at some of the responses,

with many suggesting that they have no issues with Lane Keep Assist at all.

I can only assume they have never driven on narrow country roads or through roadworks with narrow lanes.

For me after driving the car for over 6 months with LKA switched ‘OFF’ (staying off), then following a

Software Upgrades LKA defaulting to ‘ON ‘ it is a nightmare.

Trying to remember to switch LKA ‘OFF’ every time I enter the car, or trying to switch LKA ‘OFF’ while

driving both often create a very dangerous situations.

My simple solution would be to have a voice command to switch LKA ‘OFF’

If you agree please contact MG Customer Service on ([email protected])
I have been thinking a shortcut with the star buttons could do the same thing such as pressing both star buttons twice at the same time.

The fact that MG added a new shortcut to disable it to R33 means that they are aware that people dislike it. But it's not enough. They have to improve it or add a button to the steering wheel.

I must admit that LKA being default on and a ball ache to turn off at every single journey was the final straw for me ( as well as having to go to the dealer several times for build quality issues) and I got rid of the car.

Drastic I know, but I’m not faffing around with sub menu’s every time I do a short trip. There was a particular traffic calming measure on a road near me and the LKA went bananas and always tried steering you into the Ballard.

I feel that this car will be impossible to sell during the winter. I bought it during the summer when LKA didn't try to murder me. With snow on the road it's trying to kill me and the surrounding drivers, unless remember to turn it off. I'm afraid to let my wife drive the car, because she will certainly forget. One MG4 have already been wrecked by someone else here because of the LKA. Fortunately he survived to tell it. I'm just glad the collision assist haven't tried to kill me yet. Seems like too many is fighting that one as well.

I feel that this car will be impossible to sell during the winter. I bought it during the summer when LKA didn't try to murder me. With snow on the road it's trying to kill me and the surrounding drivers, unless remember to turn it off. I'm afraid to let my wife drive the car, because she will certainly forget.

I sold mine about 6 weeks ago. I lost several grand since new but got a fair offer and could see the prices of EV’s plummeting

I was in the same boat that I didn’t want my partner driving the car with lane kill assist. She’s had one drive of it after they had updated the car ( despite on the service paperwork me stating not to update it ) and she said “what the hell have they done with the car” I’m not driving that.

I sold mine about 6 weeks ago. I lost several grand since new but got a fair offer and could see the prices of EV’s plummeting

I was in the same boat that I didn’t want my partner driving the car with lane kill assist. She’s had one drive of it after they had updated the car ( despite on the service paperwork me stating not to update it ) and she said “what the hell have they done with the car” I’m not driving that.
And then we have the lack of transparency from MG. Do they even care? Do they read our feedback? Are people in China complaining as much as we do? If they cared, the shortcut to disable LKA would be on the steering wheel shortcut by now. It's been a year

Have to say that I'm close to moving mine on at a massive loss over the year. I don't always remember to turn it off and all it will take is one occasion where it misbehaves which could have bad consequences. Apart from this one thing and flaky software its a great car so such a disappointment in MG's attitude.

Have to say that I'm close to moving mine on at a massive loss over the year. I don't always remember to turn it off and all it will take is one occasion where it misbehaves which could have bad consequences. Apart from this one thing and flaky software its a great car so such a disappointment in MG's attitude.
👍🏻 agreed it’s a great handling car and a decent EV. The software and rubbish “assistance” systems are really bad though.

I moved into a e-golf, it’s a much worse EV and doesn’t handle as good. But is well put together, has no LKA and the systems just work - the Adapative cruise control is superb, predicable and not jerky like the MG.

Funnily enough I leased an e-golf for a couple of years and in almost every way the MG is better (except LKA, software and build quality). Just wish MG could sort it!

Funnily enough I leased an e-golf for a couple of years and in almost every way the MG is better (except LKA, software and build quality). Just wish MG could sort it!

LKA to shortcut button and software updates. Easily fixable. Or just lose the damn safety rating and make custemors happy.

So I've just had a crash in my MG4 Trophy as a direct result of LKA. I was on an icy single track country road, just pulled out from the house I was visiting and not 100 meters LKA beeped and snatched the wheel! This caused the front end to loose traction and I ended up up the verge in a hedge.

Fortunately, it was just me and not anyone else in the car. I wasn't hurt luckily. The car however has scratches down the drivers side and the front bumper will now need replacing!

This was as a direct result of LKA! The road WAS icy but I was driving carefully. LKA just saw the white frosty road as a white line and clearly thought I was straddling it and thought "I'm going to correct this".

LKA has got to go, until such time as it's fit for purpose!

I'm open to suggestions right now, I don't want to go through insurance as it wasn't my fault and I feel that MG UK should fit the bill for repair. Any suggestion on how to approach them? Or is it directly to the lawers?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back