Help with My Lane Keep Assist Solution

Your profile says you have an SE SR ... as do I and I've never seen any option for a welcome message. 🤷‍♂️
My car is a Thai model MG4 X, Which, as far as I can see, is the equivalent of a Trophy in the UK. Back in Feb this year there were only 2 choices available here: MG4 D which I think is the SR and the X which has the Trophy options and a 51kWh battery. I don't know what your SE spec is.

The SE SR in the UK is the 51kWh battery with non-Trophy/Luxury spec. In Thailand you get the same battery but with the Trophy trim and spec. :)

In my experience lka is at its absolute worst when there are tyre tracks on a frost covered road.
LKA has software which does not activate it until 37 mph, it cannot be too much of a software update that says don,t activate when temperature is below 3 degrees. It would most likely have to be approved by many committees at NCAP but as a "safety " issue for northern climates perhaps relevant.

Insurance is set to renew in a couple weeks after buying the car in April. I've been bracing for the worst, but it's even worse than that and comparison sites only give me higher quotes.

Model: 23 reg SE LR (phase 1)
Renewal quote: £1380 (literally double what I was paying last year for my old Fabia)
Lowest comparison quote: ~£1500

Demographics:
Relatively new driver in the UK, passed practical June 2021
3 years no claims bonus
Age bracket: 30-35
Homeowner

Am I getting shafted or is this normal? Anything I can change to lower it?

LKA has software which does not activate it until 37 mph, it cannot be too much of a software update that says don,t activate when temperature is below 3 degrees. It would most likely have to be approved by many committees at NCAP but as a "safety " issue for northern climates perhaps relevant.

The problem is with all these tweaks we are talking about they wouldn't be necessary with a well designed system which other manufacturers seem to be able to do. Either fix it properly or just give us an option to turn off permanently.

I have made previous posts on this subject and have been surprised at some of the responses,

with many suggesting that they have no issues with Lane Keep Assist at all.

I can only assume they have never driven on narrow country roads or through roadworks with narrow lanes.

For me after driving the car for over 6 months with LKA switched ‘OFF’ (staying off), then following a

Software Upgrades LKA defaulting to ‘ON ‘ it is a nightmare.

Trying to remember to switch LKA ‘OFF’ every time I enter the car, or trying to switch LKA ‘OFF’ while

driving both often create a very dangerous situations.

My simple solution would be to have a voice command to switch LKA ‘OFF’

If you agree please contact MG Customer Service on ([email protected])
Completely agree it is dangerous. Flagged to dealership who admitted it was an issue and it is being looked into. Have to remember to switch off every time I get in the car.

It should be simpler to switch off after future software upates with it now being introduced on the drop down menu (swipe down from top left of screen). Until then I always go through the routine of turning on OPD and turning off LKA at the start of every trip. I can almost do it it in my sleep now !! and hardly ever forget.

When I started this thread it was to get opinions on my solution of

having a voice command to disable LKA

This would allow the driver to disable LKA without taking hands off the steering wheel.
Just a touch of the button to activate voice control and then a voice command.
This should be quite simple to implement and conform with NCAP requirement.
You must have been going >37 mph for LKA to activate. I assume that was reasonable for the road conditions. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry to hear about this incident.
thrills Could have been in TJA which operates at low speed.

Perhaps so ... maybe @thrills can confirm either way. (If it was TJA then the issue wasn't LKA - TJA [supposedly] tries to keep the car in the centre of the lane, whereas LKA [supposedly] tries to keep the car in the lane; similar but different).

The MG4 used to be able to toggle off the lane assist permanently. I switched it off in November 2022 & it never came on again until January 2024 & the disastrous update. Now it pops on even if u were to just opening the door. It's dangerous. It's ruined the car for me.

When I started this thread it was to get opinions on my solution of

having a voice command to disable LKA

This would allow the driver to disable LKA without taking hands off the steering wheel.
Just a touch of the button to activate voice control and then a voice command.
This should be quite simple to implement and conform with NCAP requirement.

Voice commands hmmm, not happy with them. Had home controlled by google voice commands for several years now. Not so much AI as AS - artificial stupidity!
Driver "ok mg4, deactivate lka"
MG4 " turning off lights now"
Driver " £#@& cu#£!!!"
😱

Got to say as a new owner what a pita. The keyless entry/start was sold to me as a time saver. However they failed to mention the ten minutes spent (exaggeration I know, but feels like it when I'm in a rush) at the beginning of EVERY drive deactivating assists and setting regen.
Got to try the swipe down, see if that helps matters at all.

As an aside I started up yesterday, thought I'd deactivated all assists prior to setting off only to realise cfw(?) still active. It then wouldn't deactivate while I was moving, despite me trying several times, the distraction of which can't have been safe! And to think they worry about texting at the wheel 🤔

I only appear to have ESC off on the pull down menu as far as assists go.
( as well as : rear fog/door lock/Bluetooth/screen off)

I wasn't going that fast at all, more like 25. No idea how it turned on if you're saying it has to be that fast to do so. I had just dropped my daughter off, maybe it hadn't reset since my previous journey on A roads? What's more on icy roads I don't think I could've got to that sort of speed in 100 meters. I have been to dealer about LKA a few times as it's so dangerous, on my car at least.

Thanks for the sympathy.
Glad you are ok that's the main thing, I know Im not allowed to respond but I am going to say that the LKA in my ZS EV was equally bloody dangerous...especially when using it as 'traffic jam assist'. It was though an option at least that you had to engage and was easy on the ZS to disable.

The MG4 used to be able to toggle off the lane assist permanently. I switched it off in November 2022 & it never came on again until January 2024 & the disastrous update. Now it pops on even if u were to just opening the door. It's dangerous. It's ruined the car for me.
You have one of the few cars which had a software foible which allowed LKA to remain off. Yours was actually non-conforming to the NCAP rating as it should have been enabled every time a driver got into the seat.

As with R46 in the Trophy, R33 in the SE doesn't get installed as standard unless you complain about something R33 (supposedly) fixes. In my case the dealer reported "carried out an update to the FICM to R33 for your complaint of the Bluetooth issue" as the reason to install it. (I wasn't really having any BT issues, but they're on the ball and have been good with me so far).

Another way you could request R33 is to complain about the lack of external temperature indication. It was there (in 1°C increments) in R13, went away in R16, was still away in R21 but has come back (in 0.5°C increments) in R33. Lack of external temperature indication could be described as a safety issue. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back