Home charging point

Quick question as PP have not responded. I have set up night time only charging. In my manual it states the default colour of the light should be a blue while mine is green during the day and blue between 1 and 0600hr. Never really looked at 0100hr the one time I have charged so far :). DOes this reflect your light colour?
Yes. The light should be yellow when a schedule is set for later (or earlier) that day (it looks like a very pale green actually) and blue with an occasional flash of red when it's in the scheduled time or on manual. It goes a steady green when charging. It will also be blue on any days you don't have a schedule set.
The flash of red is when it's communicating with the Pod point server.

Yes. The light should be yellow when a schedule is set for later (or earlier) that day (it looks like a very pale green actually) and blue with an occasional flash of red when it's in the scheduled time or on manual. It goes a steady green when charging. It will also be blue on any days you don't have a schedule set.
The flash of red is when it's communicating with the Pod point server.
Good, thanks for confirming, not how the manual reads but we're both still alive to tell the tale :) so all good :)

Good, thanks for confirming, not how the manual reads but we're both still alive to tell the tale :) so all good :)
My manual was written before the app became smart, most, if not all, of the info I gave above has been gleaned off here or various sources on the internet. ;)

Woke up at 0545 to find car charged to 80% so successful scheduled charge. Car app gives no other details. Pod Point tells me 26.2kWh added that charging started at 0107hr and it was free.
So no idea when 80% was reached to measure speed of charge and Pod Point cannot be bothered to tell me .
I schedule one hour for each 10% charge on my Trophy, using the PodPoint charger. It usually does a bit more than this, but it's a good rule of thumb. So tonight the car is at 43%, and I have scheduled 4 hours from 2 to 6am - this will get me to 80% comfortably, plus a bit of balancing.

I have a zappi charger, they’re favoured by electricians for ease of installation. Can store solar power and use to charge if you have solar panels installed, I do not but may invest in solar in the future.

on an eon tarrif 9.5p per kw during 0000 - 0700

I have a zappi charger, they’re favoured by electricians for ease of installation. Can store solar power and use to charge if you have solar panels installed, I do not but may invest in solar in the future.

on an eon tarrif 9.5p per kw during 0000 - 0700
I'm the same. Zappi charger installed so I have the option of adding solar and battery at a later date and on E.on Next Drive.

No issues with intelligent octopus and the Ohme Home charger 🔌. Got mine installed for £650 a couple of years back with the govt grant. Search other threads to learn more about intelligent octopus + ohme and the benefits.

Good discussion here

Last edited:
I'm the same. Zappi charger installed so I have the option of adding solar and battery at a later date and on E.on Next Drive.
Just moved to Eon Next Drive tariff yesterday and having Zappi fitted soon. Was 18 months into a 2 year fixed Eon tariff at 27p/kWh which was cheap compared to the price cap but the Drive tariff will be a lot cheaper.

Hopefully the Zappi will be compatible with Octopus Intelligent in the near future which opens up future options.

@Tight Git @Ian Key

I do love my zappi, came in at a more expensive option for me though £700 for the charger itself and then £500 for the install.

Had to get an electrician mate of mine to fit it as the likes of British Gas and other charging companies refused to install, some nonsense about the wire would drape over a public pathway and they don’t want to be liable… so far 0 issues. And the walkway is directly outside of our house so nobody uses it but us.

@Tight Git @Ian Key

I do love my zappi, came in at a more expensive option for me though £700 for the charger itself and then £500 for the install.

Had to get an electrician mate of mine to fit it as the likes of British Gas and other charging companies refused to install, some nonsense about the wire would drape over a public pathway and they don’t want to be liable… so far 0 issues. And the walkway is directly outside of our house so nobody uses it but us.
Doing very similar on my install where the point will be inside the house and cable taken out the window to the car parked on the pavement!

We are a conservation area and front onto the road but everyone in the village parks fully on the pavement... If we mounted the point outside the National Park authority would have a fit 😳.

Doing very similar on my install where the point will be inside the house and cable taken out the window to the car parked on the pavement!

We are a conservation area and front onto the road but everyone in the village parks fully on the pavement... If we mounted the point outside the National Park authority would have a fit 😳.

Gotta do what you gotta do! I am amazed how difficult they make things though considering the aim is to abolish p&d after 2030.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back