HV Battery Shut Off

The update came out about May 22, all cars delivered after that should have been either built with the update or updated as part of their PDI

I recently read a post on Facebook (so it must be true) that you can tell if it had the "HV Battery Shut Off" update by another feature that was updated at the same time, they said "When charging on AC, with the doors locked, if you unlock the doors, it will temporarily stop charging, allowing you to unplug, if left untouched for a few minutes, it will resume charging" apparently prior to this, on AC you either had to stop the charge on the charger or on the infotainment screen

I'm repeating this without knowing it's true, can anyone confirm this? Did the old firmware do this? If it is true, then it's an easy thing to check

My ZS LR was delivered in May from Luscombes, they assured me that it had the updates at PDI, it does behave as above (pauses on AC when unlocked) and I've not had any issues with DC rapid chargers

I was on a trip from Nottingham to Bolton, and decided to do a top up charge at Birch West services just before J18 on the M62. They had Grid-serve so though I would have no problems. Battery was at 48%, connected the charger and started the process to charge, had trouble pairing, so tried the next charger without moving the vehicle, same problem, so I thought I would move to the third charger, that's when I found out that the HV Battery Shut off warning came on then the warning Vehicle Control System fault. Was unable to put the vehicle into Reverse or Drive. Had to call out Greenflag, They tried the 12V battery disconnect trick, but this did nothing, so had to be transported back home. The car is now with MG Nottingham and waiting for a report and fix. Has anyone else had this problem?. The vehicle is only 2 months old.
If you have AA cover they will reboot from under the dashboard, this has happened twice so car going to MG dealer in Derby for an upgrade possibly.

If you have AA cover they will reboot from under the dashboard, this has happened twice so car going to MG dealer in Derby for an upgrade possibly.
If your charging on AC and unlock car can you remove the cable?

Let me know how that goes, Derby said there were no updates to fix this problem when I called them about it.

No, I don't think so. I have to stop charging before I can unlock
Hi
please see my post 24 September and think I remember in a post if you could only unlock the car if you stop the charge then the updates had not been done.

Today I had the HV Battery shut off come up on my car see photograph , I couldn’t get the car to go into drive or reverse mode , just kept on going in to N neutral tried 3 or 4 times and then done a google search and someone had said keep foot on break a bit longer and it seemed to work, don’t know if that was just a coincidence or do I need to take it to MG garage, I’ve only had car 2 weeks and done less than 100 miles

Just having read all other posts, I’ve only ever charged on my home charger once when I first picked up the car as dealer failed to put a proper charge in vehicle, never had any issue with this error until today.

Attachments

• 195B55A0-EC59-4040-A3A9-9C1A853D3BF7.jpeg
    195B55A0-EC59-4040-A3A9-9C1A853D3BF7.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 10EFE97B-6A8F-4621-A8E7-729569F05181.jpeg
    10EFE97B-6A8F-4621-A8E7-729569F05181.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I was on a trip from Nottingham to Bolton, and decided to do a top up charge at Birch West services just before J18 on the M62. They had Grid-serve so though I would have no problems. Battery was at 48%, connected the charger and started the process to charge, had trouble pairing, so tried the next charger without moving the vehicle, same problem, so I thought I would move to the third charger, that's when I found out that the HV Battery Shut off warning came on then the warning Vehicle Control System fault. Was unable to put the vehicle into Reverse or Drive. Had to call out Greenflag, They tried the 12V battery disconnect trick, but this did nothing, so had to be transported back home. The car is now with MG Nottingham and waiting for a report and fix. Has anyone else had this problem?. The vehicle is only 2 months old.
The AA are good at clearing this, done twice since March and car supposedly had uograde done now. Not tried at fast charger since. AA cover 12 months after services comes free.

The AA are good at clearing this, done twice since March and car supposedly had uograde done now. Not tried at fast charger since. AA cover 12 months after services comes free.
I think this is just a rushed startup not a issue after charging

I had this after charging at a gridserve. Car was showing 12v battery at 12v, so I put it down to me trying to pre heat the car. I locked the car, came back after 5 mins, unlocked it and all worked.

Also this is the first time the car stopped the ccs charge as hit the set limit. So may have been that.

The charger was being cagey, was on the communicating with car screen, but was actually charging. So could even be that....

Our Feb 22 ZS Trophy SR has the same or similar problems and has been in our MG dealer workshops for 4 weeks now while they try to find the problem and fix it.
We didn't have the HV battery warning message we had a different one, see photo below.
Problem started mid November the day after using a public 22kw charger. We always charge at home from our 7kw Zappi but were on a rare long journey and needed to charge to get home.
Next day the wife was driving when the car cut out mid flight with a message on the dashboard. Luckily no traffic about and she switched off and on again and all was fine and she continued with her journey.
Same thing happened 2 days later, and again the day after that.
Two more good days passed before it happened a 4th time when I was driving. The car was unable to select F or R for half an hour as I tried many times to switch off and on again and get out of the car and lock and unlock before it suddenly cleared and I was able to turn around and drive the 200 yards back home. I organised MG ASSIST recovery at that point and the car has been with the dealers ever since.
I'm an electrical engineer so have let them know and asked for full technical info, but it's impossible to get beyond the desk jockey to speak to the technician. So all I've been getting during phone calls is that it's a wiring loom issue and they might need to replace a loom, or unpick a wiring loom and replace a damage wire within it!!!
They've also said during 2 phone calls that the Body Control Module (BCM) needs replacing.
They have also said that every step of the fault finding route they have to ask and report to MG technical department and wait often 24 hrs for their response. And this week 2 of their 3 technicians are off sick with covid.
I will report more as I learn more.
I'm wondering if the OP got his issue sorted?

Attachments

• IMG_20221122_181854.jpg
    IMG_20221122_181854.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20221123_184016.jpg
    IMG_20221123_184016.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 122
I drive an MG ZS EV Mark1. The "HV Battery Shut Off" warning has disabled the car 3 times in the 18 months we've had it, unrelated to charging. Our solution has been to switch off, get out of the car and leave it for 5 minutes. On return eveything seems to work perfectly.

I drive an MG ZS EV Mark1. The "HV Battery Shut Off" warning has disabled the car 3 times in the 18 months we've had it, unrelated to charging. Our solution has been to switch off, get out of the car and leave it for 5 minutes. On return eveything seems to work perfectly.
Just letting it reflect & contemplate the 10mm spanner "big switch off" eh ? 👍🏻👍🏻😁

It's like a curse word HAL9000 - you have to sneak up on it sometimes...

That is essentially what I had to do. I think it puts the car into sleep mode...

Since I had trouble, have managed a mammoth 800 mile journey this christmas with 3 super charges, 2 gridserve, one osprey with no issues.

We have had the same issue, my MG ZS EV (2019 version) displayed 'Vehicle Control System Fault' and 'HV Battery Shut Off' while I was driving, it then turned off and would not turn on again, phoned MG Assist but they took 48 hours from first call to actually delivering car to MG Dealership, they didn't attempt any repair roadside. We are now on Day 10 since the breakdown and no repair or diagnosis has been achieved, I have contacted MG directly to request a loan car, that they cover the cost of the replacement 12V battery and for a copy of their complaints policy, they have stated 'There is no such policy', 'I cannot assist you with the resolution that you require' and 'no further correspondence will be entered into.' I'm shocked at their response, any advice on how to actually get a resolution would be much appreciated.

I should add, the dealer has applied all available software updates and replaced the 12V battery (it ran flat due to the hazard lights being turned on while awaiting recovery by MG Assist), but that hasn't resolved the fault. before this breakdown, the 12V Battery has had no issues (never even had a low state of charge).

Last edited:
Solicitors letter offering arbitration then if that doesn’t work the multi-track in civil court. I assume the vehicle is worth is excess of £25,000

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom