HV battery shutoff when initiating rapid charge. Vehicle control system fault.

It’s “Sod’s Law” really, if you are carrying the spanner, you are not likely to need it, but if you don’t have it, you will !.🤣
Yep - it’s always there alongside the midge repellent in the left foot of the wellies, wrapped in the hi-viz vest 😌

Unfortunately we do not know what those special circumstances are. Having bought a brand new car I expect it to be fit for purpose and do not expect to be left broken down at a charger where other brands of electric vehicles have no issues.
Look in the Polestar group and you'll find plenty of charging issues

Unfortunately we do not know what those special circumstances are. Having bought a brand new car I expect it to be fit for purpose and do not expect to be left broken down at a charger where other brands of electric vehicles have no issues.
plenty of others have similar issues.

It’s “Sod’s Law” really, if you are carrying the spanner, you are not likely to need it, but if you don’t have it, you will !.🤣
Yep, that's why I have a spare tyre + the gunge repair kit + another tin of gunge that came with the GardX paint sealant kit + one of those motorcycle type plug repair kits. Sod's law sort of guarantees I won't get a puncture.

Started getting some weird HV battery errors on my SR recently
Owned the car for several weeks now but only ever charged at home, last weekend we went away for the first time in the car and did several hundred miles over 3 days so did several DC charges, after we charged 2-3 times the car keeps saying HV battery disconnected and refuses to drive, need to turn off and lock car then unlock and restart and it seems to clear but its very hit and miss at the moment, will be ringing the dealer tomorrow and asking them to have a look at it !!

At least your car is still drivable....many owners are reporting that there car is 'bricked' and cannot be driven after rapid charging problems. Sounds as if an error is still logged in the system. You may need the dealer to reset it or you could try disconnecting the auxiliary battery for 15mins. There is also a software update that has been released to try and resolve rapid charging issues. Let us know how you get on.

booked mine in for this firmware update and one of their technicians called to say AS-22-025 is a training bulletin, not firmware. They checked the car though and say it has the latest firmware already...

I’m pretty sure that Miles stated in the last podcast that AS-22-025 is the update reference for VCU,EVCC,CCU,BMS,TC.
The dealer can claim on AS-22028 for the cost of doing the update.
yep, though my MG dealer is saying that's a staff training bulletin not a firmware update, frustrating.

yep, though my MG dealer is saying that's a staff training bulletin not a firmware update, frustrating.
I just had mine in for fitting of the towbar that has been out of stock.

I had to drive 100+ miles to the nearest shop, and i had asked them, when i confirmed the date for the fitting, and when i dropped it off, that they would update all modules available to the latest version, he said they were aware of the "Car bricks at CCS chargers" and the "Maintain vehicle soon alarm every about 1000 kilometers"

When i picked it up, he said the update for the 2 faults had not yet been released for them, so they were unable to do the update.

He did state that "a few of the smaller modules, got an update, but this was just for minor stuff"

Did not give any details on what modules and what "changelog" sadly.

I was told i was going to get a notice, when these updates were ready, and to just pop by and get them done.....To which i replied that when i live 100+ miles away, i would not be able to just pop in for this.

Had to take the day off, to deliver the car to them, and then go to the city to pass time, until they were finished.

So, they also said...No updates available for this yet.

I’m pretty sure that Miles stated in the last podcast that AS-22-025 is the update reference for VCU,EVCC,CCU,BMS,TC.
The dealer can claim on AS-22028 for the cost of doing the update.
I asked Miles about the MG reference number starting with the letters - "AS".
Here was his response:-
SA = Service Action.
AS = After Sales This bulletin specifies that it covers all SR, LR, and any future EV models.

Same thing happened to me twice, first time at a rapid charger HV battery was off with a system fault and 12v battery voltage clock dropped from 14 to 12v, turned the car off for 10 min and fault went away, second time same story just connected to fast charger but system fault error persisted. Called the AA, guy came and used an OBD2 terminal to read faults, none showed and cleared faults and that fixed it. He told me the CCS charger threw a spike that knocked a car module off and reading faults (nothing shows up) and clearing them is the fix. Another way to fix it is to disconnect 12v battery and wait 10 min but that causes the car to forget all settings.
I have ordered an OBD2 Bluetooth with clear faults capability just in case. Will also carry some keys to disconnect the 12v battery if nothing else works.
This HV battery fault occurred 3 time in the past year of owning an MG5. For the first two times the car reverted to normal after 10-20 anxious minutes.

The most recent time resulted in an AA callout to a remote ferry port, an hour of fruitless fault testing resulting in an over night stay at a hotel, hours on the phone to arrange alternative transport home for a distressed family of 4 from holiday ... while the car on being returned to the dealership starts up without any apparent problems or error messages!

This should be a general recall of all affected cars rather then this colossally ambiguous software update process.

I can no longer recommend MG EVs to friends which is a shame as otherwise it is good product.

My car issue still hasnt been resolved since 11.4.22.
Had an email today stating mg are sending the car to longbridge to their battery centre.
Heres hoping

There is now a bulletin to dealers, asking them to check the software on these specific ECUs prior to handover, and update if necessary:
• VCU
• EV
• CCU
• BMS
• TC

If you are worried about any potential charging issues, please ask your dealer to check/update these (particularly if you took delivery of your facelift ZS EV before May 22).
Thank you Miles for posting information regarding the bulletin. There is very little information on MG's response to this fault.

Could you clarify if this AS-22-025 or a similar bulletin can be applied to the MG5 to help solve the HV battery shutoff issue?

Our 2021 MG5 is due its first annual service next week, here's hoping this cures our rapid charge anxiety!

Thank you Miles for posting information regarding the bulletin. There is very little information on MG's response to this fault.

Could you clarify if this AS-22-025 or a similar bulletin can be applied to the MG5 to help solve the HV battery shutoff issue?

Our 2021 MG5 is due its first annual service next week, here's hoping this cures our rapid charge anxiety!
MG dealers are now to check and update all of those ECUs on all EVs to make sure they're on the latest software. The bulletin tells them that this needs to be done at every service.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom