HV battery shutoff when initiating rapid charge. Vehicle control system fault.

MG dealers are now to check and update all of those ECUs on all EVs to make sure they're on the latest software. The bulletin tells them that this needs to be done at every service.
Thanks Miles !.
And how many dealers do we think will follow the instruction from MG, related to this update ?.
If the BMS update is anything to go by, not ALL !.
Chorley lads will follow the AS-22-025 protocol for sure.
Same can't be said for some of the other dealers unfortunately.

Is it possible to check yourself that the car has the latest firmware update?
I'm picking up my SR demo on Thursday after cancelling my LR.
I'm picking it up from a smaller dealership, but unfortunately the service department initially has not instilled much confidence in me. Whilst I was out on test drive the salesperson went and found how much a service plan would be.
I was told £23 a month!!!! I explained that that is ridiculous as from this forum they are between £8 and £11. So I'm not sure the service dept are too hot on EV's yet.
I have asked a couple of times to please make sure it has the latest update, but I'm not convinced it will be done.
I would rather know rather than go into a cold sweat when connecting to a rapid charger!!

Is it possible to check yourself that the car has the latest firmware update?
I believe it is, but I'm not sure as I can't quickly find the posts. When I get time I'll add links so that they are easier to find.

The closest you can get to figuring this out is to get a half-way decent OBD-II dongle, and download the free unofficial Thai app, latest version available here:

Apple users: sorry, there is only an Android version right now. But you can get a cheap Android phone from your supermarket or wherever; it doesn't have to be a Samsung Galaxy 99.

My understanding is that it's been updated for the facelift models; the PIDs and protocols are a little different. It still works on Mark I ZS EVs as well. Does not work on MG 5s. But I seem to recall some users having trouble still with the facelift models. The app isn't the most stable, but after a while I came to know its foibles and manage to work around them OK.

[ Edit: found the short discussion thread on V2.8. ]

Then you need to know what versions mean what. Sometimes the date is encoded into the version number; that makes it easy. The post linked to above has some photos of version numbers; they might give you an idea of what the versions were like some time ago in Thailand. Thai cars often have slightly different firmware to Europe, UK, etc, but often the difference is that EU is added to the end of the version string.

This will be a lot easier when we get enough facelift owners using the app and reporting what firmware versions they are running, and any problems they notice.

If you're keen, there is lots of technical information in this long thread, which mainly talks about the original release of the unofficial Thai app from last year:

Last edited:
We tried all sorts to try and recover the situation, but no joy.

It is the second time it has happened to us. The first time we left the car alone for 10 mins and it righted itself. This time, nothing would get it to recover.

On both occasions I was attempting a charge using an Ecotricity charger - both failed.

I had tried about an hour earlier to charge on a Polar charger, this also failed, but did not cause an issue with the car.

Maybe it is something Ecotricity is doing with the communication? Even so, it should not brick the car?
When this happened to me last week the AA held the Start button for about 15 seconds the car shut down - he waited a short while and the car rebooted with everything working 👍

Thanks Miles !.
And how many dealers do we think will follow the instruction from MG, related to this update ?.
If the BMS update is anything to go by, not ALL !.
Chorley lads will follow the AS-22-025 protocol for sure.
Same can't be said for some of the other dealers unfortunately.
From what i have read, when a MG tech is doing a service, he needs to enter that into the MG electronic log that is run by MG.

He needs to do this for the MG recovery assist to be valid for another year.

I would have hoped that MG was able to see in their logs, what cars had had the updates succesfully done, and if he tried to log a service into the system without doing the firmware update, the system would refuse him to save the log entry, forcing him to do the update.

To be honest, i would expect every service to have the service computer plugged in and the tech pressing the "Install all updates" button.

To be honest, i would expect every service to have the service computer plugged in and the tech pressing the "Install all updates" button.
I agree that’s is what you WOULD expect to happen, although we have clear evidence from forum members ( with regards to the BMS update being carried out ) that this clearly, this is not the case.
It is my understanding that a service bulletin was issues by MG to say that the BMS update ( released 15th Jan 2020 ) should be applied to Gen1 ZS EV’s at the time of the annual service / health checks or if a customers car was presented with range / power output problems, or by a direct request of the customer, who suspected that his car had been affected by the install of some buggy software.
Given the horror stories that some owners encountered having this BMS done, some owners declined for asking for it to be installed, while some dealers just serviced the car and handed it back, without implementing the service bulletin.
This has resulted in cross hatch pattern of different Gen1 models operating on completely different software versions.
Adopting the attitude “If it’s not broken, don’t try and fix it” mentality.
I can’t help that think, that the same will happen regarding the upgrade released for the Gen2 face lift models, when it comes to the software upgrade to help avoid the “Bricking” situation, when plugging into certain rapid units.
I personally feel, it will be the very same thing on this occasion.
A LOT will depend on which dealer you take the car for annual service.
Some WILL check and apply any service bulletins provided by MG but I genuinely feel that many inexperienced dealers will avoid doing this update, just in case it all goes horribly wrong and they end up with a bigger headache of trying to get it sorted !.
We have to remember, that prior to the release of the Gen1 ZS EV some MG tech’s had never even lifted the bonnet on an electric car, let alone being asked to repair one.
Top Tip :- Try and locate a dealer who has tech’s that have received expertise on working on EV’s prior to the ZS EV would be my advice.
Some dealers ( Chorley lads instantly come to mind ) have served their time on other EV’s before the ZS EV.
Nissan Leaf is a prime example of this.
For a routine service, less important, but when it comes to applying extensive updates and getting right, then choose your dealer wisely !.
Ask me how I know folks 🤫.

I agree that’s is what you WOULD expect to happen, although we have clear evidence from forum members ( with regards to the BMS update being carried out ) that this clearly, this is not the case.
It is my understanding that a service bulletin was issues by MG to say that the BMS update ( released 15th Jan 2020 ) should be applied to Gen1 ZS EV’s at the time of the annual service / health checks or if a customers car was presented with range / power output problems, or by a direct request of the customer, who suspected that his car had been affected by the install of some buggy software.
Given the horror stories that some owners encountered having this BMS done, some owners declined for asking for it to be installed, while some dealers just serviced the car and handed it back, without implementing the service bulletin.
This has resulted in cross hatch pattern of different Gen1 models operating on completely different software versions.
Adopting the attitude “If it’s not broken, don’t try and fix it” mentality.
I can’t help that think, that the same will happen regarding the upgrade released for the Gen2 face lift models, when it comes to the software upgrade to help avoid the “Bricking” situation, when plugging into certain rapid units.
I personally feel, it will be the very same thing on this occasion.
A LOT will depend on which dealer you take the car for annual service.
Some WILL check and apply any service bulletins provided by MG but I genuinely feel that many inexperienced dealers will avoid doing this update, just in case it all goes horribly wrong and they end up with a bigger headache of trying to get it sorted !.
We have to remember, that prior to the release of the Gen1 ZS EV some MG tech’s had never even lifted the bonnet on an electric car, let alone being asked to repair one.
Top Tip :- Try and locate a dealer who has tech’s that have received expertise on working on EV’s prior to the ZS EV would be my advice.
Some dealers ( Chorley lads instantly come to mind ) have served their time on other EV’s before the ZS EV.
Nissan Leaf is a prime example of this.
For a routine service, less important, but when it comes to applying extensive updates and getting right, then choose your dealer wisely !.
Ask me how I know folks 🤫.
I think i will buy the dongle needed to use the Thai app, that apparantly can show what version of firmware is installed in the different modules.

To be fair, this is not exclusive to MG

I previously owned a Vauxhall, the infotainment in mine was "version 1" and this version had a lot of problems connecting to Android Auto, they knew this and already in Firmware 2, this problem was solved.

From talking to other forum members on a model specific forum, i found that the latest version was "Version 5" so when i asked them to update the radio i specifically told them to install "The latest version, and i know version 5 exist so latest, but no older than V5"

The muppets in the garage updated it and gave it back, i checked it and they had put in version 2, as "This version fixes the problem you complained about"

I had to remind them that i had specifically asked for nothing lower than V5.

I found out the reason they installed version 2, was that they had this version on a thumbdrive and they could not be bothered to log in to the vauxhall servers to get the latest version.

In the end i told them "You have 2 options"

1. I keep version 2, and i do not pay the bill for the installation.
2. You get the car back and put V5 in the radio and i will pay the bill.

They ended up getting the car back, doing it properly.

There were numerous other fixed made in V3 to V5 and i was not going to pay full price for less than the newest version.

As said...I will get the dongle and read out the firmwares, and compare with what i find is the latest version, and then i will tell them that i expect them to upgrade everything to the latest version, and if they do not, this will be the last time they ever see the car, outside of safety recall's.

When this happened to me last week the AA held the Start button for about 15 seconds the car shut down - he waited a short while and the car rebooted with everything working 👍
What model was this with? Mk1 or mk2 SR/LR?

I think i will buy the dongle needed to use the Thai app, that apparantly can show what version of firmware is installed in the different modules.

To be fair, this is not exclusive to MG

I previously owned a Vauxhall, the infotainment in mine was "version 1" and this version had a lot of problems connecting to Android Auto, they knew this and already in Firmware 2, this problem was solved.

From talking to other forum members on a model specific forum, i found that the latest version was "Version 5" so when i asked them to update the radio i specifically told them to install "The latest version, and i know version 5 exist so latest, but no older than V5"

The muppets in the garage updated it and gave it back, i checked it and they had put in version 2, as "This version fixes the problem you complained about"

I had to remind them that i had specifically asked for nothing lower than V5.

I found out the reason they installed version 2, was that they had this version on a thumbdrive and they could not be bothered to log in to the vauxhall servers to get the latest version.

In the end i told them "You have 2 options"

1. I keep version 2, and i do not pay the bill for the installation.
2. You get the car back and put V5 in the radio and i will pay the bill.

They ended up getting the car back, doing it properly.

There were numerous other fixed made in V3 to V5 and i was not going to pay full price for less than the newest version.

As said...I will get the dongle and read out the firmwares, and compare with what i find is the latest version, and then i will tell them that i expect them to upgrade everything to the latest version, and if they do not, this will be the last time they ever see the car, outside of safety recall's.
I agree with your views !.
Just plain lazy that, imputing the info from a stick is quicker and easier of course.
In the case of the BMS update and the AS update for the “ Bricking” situation, they have no option other than to connect via the main ish interface from MG.
This is not something that sort of thing that can be done via USB stick.
Way to much info to be handled by a stick.
In theory, if a small file can be handled and installed by a stick, it should be possible to send it via OTA updates.
But we know that is not happening anyway 🤣.

I agree with your views !.
Just plain lazy that, imputing the info from a stick is quicker and easier of course.
In the case of the BMS update and the AS update for the “ Bricking” situation, they have no option other than to connect via the main ish interface from MG.
This is not something that sort of thing that can be done via USB stick.
Way to much info to be handled by a stick.
In theory, if a small file can be handled and installed by a stick, it should be possible to send it via OTA updates.
But we know that is not happening anyway 🤣.

Same problem with my 2nd gen MG zs ev SR Trophy. Apparently it was updated before sale.
Brand new car arrived in the UK at the end of April .
Sold by Nathaniel cars in May.
AA guy have tried all tricks from the forum and now it is on the way to Luscombe MG Leeds...
I will report back how they handle the situation.
On the positive side AA told us 3h wait but the recovery van arrived within 30m

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220626-161811.png
    Screenshot_20220626-161811.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_20220626-161833.png
    Screenshot_20220626-161833.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 105
Hopefully the May 2022 software update will be applied and all will be ok. Had my LR Trophy updated last week, but still haven't used a rapid charger yet.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom