HV battery shutoff when initiating rapid charge. Vehicle control system fault.

Are we noticing a pattern emerge on what chargers are trending to cause this issue? I've only charged once on a rapid, an Instavolt with no issues but I've heard of issues with Gridserve and Geniepoint but has it occurred with any others?
Just to clarify we're talking about the Mk2 ZS EV here?

I believe we are ????.
The “Bricking” issue when using rapid chargers only appears to be affecting both SR and LR on Mk2 / Gen 2 or face lift models ( take your pick of any of the three names above, to describe the latest version of the ZS EV ).
The original Mk1 / Gen 1 version of the car does not appear to be affected so badly, that CAN cause the “Bricking” affect, when using a rapid charger.
Is there a particular branded name of charger that is MORE likely to cause this condition ?.
I have no idea ?.
I can feel another spread sheet coming on folks !.
At least it would be interesting to see if there was a common denominator regarding operator etc at play here ?.

Oh my goodness. I'm starting to worry now! what with the uncertainty over lead times and the issues described in this thread I'm beginNing to wonder if ordering this car was the right thing to do!

Oh my goodness. I'm starting to worry now! what with the uncertainty over lead times and the issues described in this thread I'm beginNing to wonder if ordering this car was the right thing to do!
It is a similar situation with regards to lead time with other manufactures, that’s for sure.
It’s a perfect storm right now !.
The charging problem WILL get sorted or the cars will deeded as “Unfit for purpose”.
Things move at a slow pace when it comes to MG unfortunately.

The long lead time might be a blessing in disguise, as all the issues should be sorted with the early customers before we get ours. :)

The long lead time might be a blessing in disguise, as all the issues should be sorted with the early customers before we get ours. :)
This is very true, it was the same for early adopters of the original ZS EV !.
Unable to delay charge, then after this MG responded by releasing the Comfort 2 update, to address the issues raised by its first customers, this software update then infected the HV batteries / range and power of some owners cars.
This required a rewrite of the BMS software to correct the issue.
Not to mention the other issues like steering couplings etc etc.
Personally I think owners have shown a lot tolerances towards all of these issues.
All that being said, the lessons learnt on the original ZS EV have helped make the face lift model a better car now.
However, we still have some nagging issues that need resolving, like the steering column UJ ( that should have NEVER happened ) and the CCS “Bricking” problem that has been allegedly been sorted, via a software update.
Time will tell !.
Early adopters are always in the firing line as testers and fault finders.
This to be expected to some extent, but getting them resolved quickly is more important in my mind.

So apparently mine’s sorted and ready for collection 👍. They’ve “updated the software”. Fingers crossed this doesn’t pop up again on a longer journey when the kids are in the car.
Glad you are having your car returned so quickly.
Fault codes cleared and then the software update done !.
I am going to regret suggesting this, but here we go !.
If you are concerned in any way that your car maybe still a risk on your next long trip with the family.
You could take it back to the same charger and try to charge there !.
See, said it was a bad idea 🤣.
You would know for sure then !.

Yes I am. Seems the issues are more easily overcome in the Mk1 from what I have read
/Have been dealt with/
*bar the steering shaft joints (that affects mk2s as well)

[It just seemed worth pointing out for future readers using the thread as a resource, that the CCS bricking discussed here is Mk2 specific. Iirc reading through it was not abundantly clear unless you are au fait with the odd mention of LR SR TC T sprinkled here & there that this discussion is mk2 specific.

This sort of blurring happens (unintentionally I'm sure) on other MG ZS EV threads too?

Worth subdividing the forum into mk1 & mk2 branches? 🤷‍♂️🤔]

I've just booked my charger installation with ChargedEV for September so my Charger will be here at least two months before my car.
It's an Indra tethered unit . Does anyone have any experience with these?

Only had one bricking on my Gen1 ZS car.
I look forward to my TCLR in due course. I am terrified of car bricking on future long journeys.
I hope MG Customer Services will let us know the chargers that will work with the Gen2 ZS EV on a pan European trip.

I would have to spend a day trying DC chargers to put my mind at rest
Glad you are having your car returned so quickly.
Fault codes cleared and then the software update done !.
I am going to regret suggesting this, but here we go !.
If you are concerned in any way that your car maybe still a risk on your next long trip with the family.
You could take it back to the same charger and try to charge there !.
See, said it was a bad idea 🤣.
You would know for sure then !.
I did contemplate this, my other half thinks we should leave it a week due to the stress of the last 24hrs! I say stress but compared to what some other folk have had to put up with I think we had a very speedy turnaround all things considered. The AA and dealership have been extremely pleasant to deal with, but I was a bit disappointed that I couldn’t get a courtesy taxi in order to collect the car from them today.

I did contemplate this, my other half thinks we should leave it a week due to the stress of the last 24hrs!
I totally understand your views here !.
That is why I posted with a bit of “tongue in cheek” style.
Are you close enough to the dealer who sorted your car and the offending charger ?.
If you have a really good relationship with the dealer, what about suggesting taking one of the EV tech’s ( with laptop ) down to the charger and trying to pull a charge ?.
If it works okay 👍 then you are pretty sure you have fix !.
Worst case, if it bricks the tech can clear the code there and then.
This would be very useful for both parties.
You have the satisfaction that the car is going to be fine on your next long trip and the dealer has the confidence and satisfaction that the fix they applied really works !.
They can feedback that information to the “Mother Ship”.
It will relive your Anxiety level knowing all is good now !.
Just an idea 💡?????.

Is it possible to check yourself that the car has the latest firmware update?
I'm picking up my SR demo on Thursday after cancelling my LR.
I'm picking it up from a smaller dealership, but unfortunately the service department initially has not instilled much confidence in me. Whilst I was out on test drive the salesperson went and found how much a service plan would be.
I was told £23 a month!!!! I explained that that is ridiculous as from this forum they are between £8 and £11. So I'm not sure the service dept are too hot on EV's yet.
I have asked a couple of times to please make sure it has the latest update, but I'm not convinced it will be done.
I would rather know rather than go into a cold sweat when connecting to a rapid charger!!
Is this the one in Hayle or Blackwater by any chance Mike. As I've been waiting for a call back from the service department from Blackwater since Monday 🙁

Mike I've managed to rapid charge 4 times on my long range & I do not think mines had the update yet. I used MFG chargers at Cribbs Corner, oh I also tried the one at Shell Fraddon, but that was for only 15mins to see how to do it.

Good luck with the new car. I'm sure you'll love it.

I finally got my car back after 3 months at mg.The dealer couldnt fix it so after many emails by myself to mg customer service the car was sent to longbridge in Birmingham where it was repaired whithin a week.I have been promised a goodwill gesture by the dealer as im around 500 pound down from petrol costs
Screenshot_20220629-174843_Outlook.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220629-174843_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220629-174843_Outlook.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 73
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom