HV battery shutoff when initiating rapid charge. Vehicle control system fault.

2022 Facelift Trophy here.. We've been using ESB Energy Rapid Chargers via the Bonnet app, no issues.

I plugged it into a GeniePoint charge point via the Bonnet app and bam, Vehicle Control System Fault.

Tried the disconnect battery trick, no luck, the fault was logged in the computer. Called the AA which was provided through the purchase of the car, chap connected via OBD, car was too new for his system but he tried a "generic" fault clear, which worked. Car started straight away.

If this happens to you, ask recovery to do a generic fault code reset.

Is it possible to get an OBD cable that can do this via mobile phone in the event of an emergency?

2022 Facelift Trophy here.. We've been using ESB Energy Rapid Chargers via the Bonnet app, no issues.

I plugged it into a GeniePoint charge point via the Bonnet app and bam, Vehicle Control System Fault.

Tried the disconnect battery trick, no luck, the fault was logged in the computer. Called the AA which was provided through the purchase of the car, chap connected via OBD, car was too new for his system but he tried a "generic" fault clear, which worked. Car started straight away.

Is it possible to get an OBD cable that can do this via mobile phone in the event of an emergency?
I have said this before use obd in generic mode generic obd readers are very cheap but i don't know what protocol mg use so you need one that covers the 5 generic protocols

If we can find an OBD2 reader that works with the facelift that would make me rest a lot easier when fast charging.

I contacted bonnet and told them a few have has this. Their customer service is great. If you haven't give them a contact as they will want to solve this if it has anything to do with them

The app or the charger shouldn't be able to brick the car? I haven't heard of any other car makes having similar problems?

The app or the charger shouldn't be able to brick the car?
No, of course not, but this is a known problem with the facelift models.
Yes. You just need a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle (preferably not the very cheapest so you can also use it with fussier apps), and a free OBD2 app that can reset codes. I'm pretty sure that the one called Car Scanner ELM OBD2 will do it. I needed it for one of my EVs a while ago, it worked where the generic scanner from the local breakdown service (Royal Automobile Club of Queensland) didn't work.

Yes. You just need a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle (preferably not the very cheapest so you can also use it with fussier apps), and a free OBD2 app that can reset codes. I'm pretty sure that the one called Car Scanner ELM OBD2 will do it. I needed it for one of my EVs a while ago, it worked where the generic scanner from the local breakdown service (Royal Automobile Club of Queensland) didn't work.
Car Scanner doesn't work on the MK2, tried it along with the rest. Can't conne t to the ECU. The only one that comes close to working is the Thai MG ZS unofficial app, but that crashes as soon as you try to read any codes or software versions etc, very unstable and not recommended on the MK2 at present.

Car Scanner doesn't work on the MK2
Dang! Looks like there is a technical problem to do with the VIN number, as the author of the EV Watchdog app mentioned. It looks like he is the most responsive app developer at present, so his app may be the best chance for charging insurance for the MK 2.

Hello
Any recommendation on a dongle?

At the moment I would go with a generic hardwired one like like I posted earlier under £20 a lot of the dongle ones try and read the manufacturer codes which is better when they work but reading generic code is just as good if just want to clear the fault the AA are finding out

At the moment I would go with a generic hardwired one like like I posted earlier under £20 a lot of the dongle ones try and read the manufacturer codes which is better when they work but reading generic code is just as good if just want to clear the fault the AA are finding out
The AA man who attended mine tried his laptop and another vans laptop and got nothing. He then rooted around in his van and found a cheap eBay wired generic OBD reader which detected 3 fault codes, but said it couldn't reset them. Got further than his laptop though 🙄.

About to collect MG ZS EV Long range tomorrow after 2 weeks at dealers- same fault, twice within 3 days ( west Wales, live in Hampshire; see April 22nd). We're going to give it another go on a long drive to York later in May. How many times do we give this car another chance?! Meanwhile, if we break down yet again, we're primed to ask AA to do a generic fault code reset.

About to collect MG ZS EV Long range tomorrow after 2 weeks at dealers- same fault, twice within 3 days ( west Wales, live in Hampshire; see April 22nd). We're going to give it another go on a long drive to York later in May. How many times do we give this car another chance?! Meanwhile, if we break down yet again, we're primed to ask AA to do a generic fault code reset.
I guess the question is, what have they done to prevent this "Bricking" situation on happening again, the next time you need to rapid charge ???.
Have they applied any software upgrades ?????.

I've been told my trophy should already have the latest software when shipped from the factory.... delivered end of March (build date Oct 21) and therefore should not 'brick' on fast chargers. Was your car an older build or have I been given incorrect information?

I've been told my trophy should already have the latest software when shipped from the factory.... delivered end of March (build date Oct 21) and therefore should not 'brick' on fast chargers. Was your car an older build or have I been given incorrect information?
We bought ours March 30 2022. I'm struggling to understand all the technical details, Christine, aged 75.

MG are now saying that cars built in Aug 2021 and delivered before December 2021 (i.e dealer demo stock) will need a software update to stop them failing on rapid chargers. I think your car may have fallen into this category. If not then more of us need to worry as we may also be affected.

MG are now saying that cars built in Aug 2021 and delivered before December 2021 (i.e dealer demo stock) will need a software update to stop them failing on rapid chargers. I think your car may have fallen into this category. If not then more of us need to worry as we may also be affected.
Thanks for this @TonyP. Probs means my ZS will be OK as it was delivered in Feb and likely to be built well after Aug 21 (as it is a standard range one).

Out of interest how did you find that out?

Info provided by Miles Roberts (MG Chorley). Still too scared to fast charge our car....the problem is they cannot say for certain what software version your car has until it is plugged in by the dealer. My supplying dealer is over 2 hours drive away, so without the promised OTA updates I am currently in limbo.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom