HV battery shutoff when initiating rapid charge. Vehicle control system fault.

Mines been in mg salford arnold clark 11 days now after failing in north wales trying to fast charge.i finally got a hire car after 9 days petrol fiat 500.
They informed me that mg in china have a set procedure they want them to follow.they say that mg in china are very slow to respond.
Ill give them another week
Fortunately we leased it so we spoke to the finance company who said they should have been notified by the dealer not your it’s in for repair not once but twice. They aren’t happy it’s now on day 12 of having it

They have me a hybrid which isn’t plug in so they going to pull them up on it and give me the fuel back as they should do a like for like. I shouldn’t get this type of car

Explained to the woman they gave me a jazz which is a laughing stock and if I got to choose between that or the bmw in fuel it’s more worth my time effort and comfrey to go with that and the jazz is a last resort when we need 2 cars.

They weren’t happy with hearting that. Not what I don’t but what they done so this will be fun.

Misses works for them so she has someone who is high up in the company. I’m taking owner level who’s had enough of this and offered to step in and get this sorted.

I obv stand corrected
Please don't think I was passing criticism on your post !.
I was trying to establish if you where using the A/C side or the D/C rapid connector, when your car "locked up".
You where using the CCS rapid side it appears.
@Vince31 From memory, there are two units directly behind a large stone wall, on your left hand side, as you enter the bottom of the car park.
I pass there almost once a week and I have never witnessed anybody using them ?.

I've created a spreadsheet to capture these failures on the new ZSEV, this will hopefully show any common traits like a bunch of suspect chargers or charger manufacturer etc. Please click on the link and update if you can, or just let me know and I'll fill it in for you.
Name, Car, LR/SR, Your Failure, Charger Make, Charger Location, Fixed by AA or Dealer, What was the fix, Any other details

Click here for access to spreadsheet

Last edited:
great news car was fixed within an hour - once it reached the MG garage.
ODB port connected (found located under steering wheel) raft of error messages recorded and I hope sent to the boffins to determine root cause and permanent solution.
Warnings wiped eg ‘vehicle control system fault‘ cleared which was for obvs reasons ‘shutting off HV battery’.
So in summary and no offence meant to recovery services, if you do breakdown:-
you can try the usual IT issue resolutions listed below.
BUT in reality call MG assistance AKA the AA, but ensure you say you need recovery to MG garage only! As they are the only ones with ODB reader and NO it’s apparently not portable!!

(1) turn off and on a few times ( this will be flattening the 12v battery the longer you try)
(2) disconnected 12v battery terminal (you’ll need a 10mm spanner)
(3) 12v battery is good, (can be seen in battery menu, but note its the bars under the battery sim boo you are interested in eg apparently 7 bars is fully charged, however I found 4 bars was good enough, also car will clearly show a warning when battery is getting low)

Obviously MG like all the recovery services are all in a steep learning curve from ICE which they have years of experience to electrification.

Now take this bit or leave it as its speculation as the MG boffins won’t come back to me. However my credentials for the speculation is: I know a few things about root cause analysis and more importantly electrification of vehicles using big Li-Ion batteries And their control and necessary safety.
A) Hooking up a vehicle to any charger isn’t just plugging in some power, there is some comms that happens ‘hand shake’, the comms is to agree correct vehicle, charger, charge state, balancing etc.. I plugged my vehicle into a faulty charger M40 south bound Warwick services. I know this as the 3 other vehicles after me didnt get any charge, but fortunately drove away. for my car a bunch of failure/warning messages a possible power surge from charger, and the vehicle did what it’s designed to do ‘fail safe’ eg shut down HV battery.
B) warning messages: there are messages that are just warnings like drive door open which shouldn’t fill up warning logs and shouldn’t isolate HV battery, then there are warnings that should for safety reasons put vehicle in safe state, in hope some MG boffs review these sites.
B1) I’d suggest ensure warnings are prioritised and discarded over time.
b2) all the MG vehicles have wireless comms and should be able to be diagnosed remotely and therefore warnings recorded and cleared remotely in the field To allow drive?
b3) if b2 is not easy make portable MG ODB readers and give to recover folks ;)

finally we should all try and help the boffins improve the glitches as the car is superb, don’t just wipe messages ensure garage send warning messages onto MG boffs.
I expect the issue will happen again but I’m going to where at all possible avoid rapid chargers, stick to >22kw ones…. Right that’s me dine hope it helps
Mine was fixed with VCU and EVCC software updates.

Fortunately we leased it so we spoke to the finance company who said they should have been notified by the dealer not your it’s in for repair not once but twice. They aren’t happy it’s now on day 12 of having it

They have me a hybrid which isn’t plug in so they going to pull them up on it and give me the fuel back as they should do a like for like. I shouldn’t get this type of car

Explained to the woman they gave me a jazz which is a laughing stock and if I got to choose between that or the bmw in fuel it’s more worth my time effort and comfrey to go with that and the jazz is a last resort when we need 2 cars.

They weren’t happy with hearting that. Not what I don’t but what they done so this will be fun.

Misses works for them so she has someone who is high up in the company. I’m taking owner level who’s had enough of this and offered to step in and get this sorted.
I know it's crappy, but a courtesy car is a privilege, not a right... they do not have to give you a like for like car... there are people on this forum who have had issues and not been given any car, so just be grateful you got one.

Replys like that dont help me personally tbh.if i think its crap that ive spent 32k on a car and it breaks after 3 weeks i dont think i should be grateful ive been offered a car to use.sorry i disagree

I know it's crappy, but a courtesy car is a privilege, not a right... they do not have to give you a like for like car... there are people on this forum who have had issues and not been given any car, so just be grateful you got one.
Actually your wrong on this one, Its a lease car and its in the agreement, I get a replacement of the same type or better. To top it off, the lease company's not happy with the dealer for this and looking to have something compensated and my fuel costs sent back to me, so far in 2 weeks cost me 115 quid in fuel vs free electric.

so far in 2 weeks cost me 115 quid in fuel vs free electric.
See - That IS painful 😖.
Forking out for petrol ⛽️ really hurts when you waiting for your EV to get sorted !.
I had the same problem waiting for two parts to fix the handbrake on our previous ZS EV.
We had a loaner for four weeks and fuel costs are unbelievable !.
This was last year, before the huge hike in fuel prices as well !.
I really do feel your pain.
I think I worked it out, that I spent more money on Derv in them four weeks, than I did in 6 months on cheaper off peak electric.
Being totally honest, we could not afford to cover the same mileage that we do today in our EV - If we where paying for fossil fuel !.
We would only be making essential trips if we had an ICE now.
I totally accept that it costs more to charge from home NOW but fossil fuel prices are just crazy expensive.
I did not ask MG to compensate us for the fuel costs and some of my family did say that I should !.
But in fairness, it was the delay in procuring the two items that cause the long wait.
Which is there problem to rectify, I get that.
Both parts only amounted to about £160 and about two hours labour to install them.
The hardest pill to swallow, was the hire car costs by MG.
They gave us a Pug 3008 which I think would have cost them around £1500 to £2000 to hire for four weeks.
That is a BIG outlay for what was the cost of a £300 repair in my book !.

Last edited:
Actually your wrong on this one, Its a lease car and its in the agreement, I get a replacement of the same type or better. To top it off, the lease company's not happy with the dealer for this and looking to have something compensated and my fuel costs sent back to me, so far in 2 weeks cost me 115 quid in fuel vs free electric.
The dealer can only give out what they have available... if anything the courtesy car guarantee should be down to the lease company not the dealer.

Our hire car was authorised by the MG after sales team and it was delivered by a local car hire company.
They would not pay the dealer to loan us an EV - even though they had a ZS EV and a MG5 sitting outside the door !.

The dealer can only give out what they have available... if anything the courtesy car guarantee should be down to the lease company not the dealer.
they have staff running around in them they can easily take them off the staff. Misses garage does it all the same the salesmen just get given a car and taken off them when needed.

Well I’ll be getting money back for fuel costs

they have staff running around in them they can easily take them off the staff. Misses garage does it all the same the salesmen just get given a car and taken off them when needed.

Well I’ll be getting money back for fuel costs
Good luck with that. Let us know how you get on.

Happened to us on the way to France a few weeks ago for our family holiday.

We plugged into rapid charger at Peterborough Services which wouldn’t connect then the HV error came up and could no longer move the car. MG assist came out and tried battery reset with spanner but no joy. The car ended up being towed back home and we had to sort out a hotel and Eurostar with our insurance.

When we returned we arranged a tow to the dealer, but they insist there is nothing wrong and the car charged fine and is operating normally. Asked garage to contact MG as not sure I can trust using the car for long journeys now, which they seemed very reticent to do. Without insurance we would have lost £2k, still out of pocket around £500 and a huge disruption to our holiday.

Bought RAC relay/homestart in case it happens again, have another family holiday booked in the lakes in summer which we are really nervous about. Hoping it’s a software issue that can be sorted.

Last edited:
Reading all this stuff has really put me off the notion of rapid charging to be honest. I got my Standard Rage in Feb and have only been charging it at home or at the office. I was going to give a rapid charger a go to get used to using them should the need arise as I am going on a break to Ingleton in June. But I've now made plans to use a slow charge at a local farm instead. Original plan was to use the Instavolt chargers at a nearby Booth's.

3 weeks in the garage now.i was promised a call today on the update of where they are up to.no call from arnold clark in salford.i will be visiting in the flesh on weds when im avail.looks like i might have to take legal action for a refund if nothing has been done by the end of next week.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom