Idiots guide to scheduled charging with a Myenergi Zappi

Chris Bronsdon

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hello,
I've been an MG4 owner for a few weeks.
I recently had a Myenergi Zappi installed. I've tried and failed to get the car to charge at my cheap rate from 00.30 hours.
Last night I set the scheduled time on the car. No charge.
I've set the scheduled time on the Zappi. No charge.
I can instant charge but not get the car to accept a scheduled charge.
What am I doing wrong please?
Is the car asleep? Do I need to get out of bed in the middle of the night to wake it up?!....

A simple, idiots guide to what buttons to press when and where would be very welcome!

Try this:
No schedule on charger, set to fast.
Set schedule on car. (Ensure start time is correct after setting end time.)
Leave car turned on.
Plug in cable to charger (if untethered) and then to car.
Charger should try to charge and then go to delayed charge. Set this point lock the car to switch it off.
Avoid checking anything on app before 0.30

This works for me.

Turn the Zappi charger off at the mains for a couple of minutes before switching back on again. You don't have to do this every time but occasionally it needs rebooting.

Make sure there is no schedule set in the iSmart app or in the car.

On the iSmart app check and adjust if necessary the charging percentage.

Set the Zappi Charging Mode to ECO+

You can ignore the leaf slider unless you have solar or a home battery.

Under Boost Settings select Scheduled.

Check and set the boost charge times if you haven't done so.

Plug the car in after you have checked and set everything.

As above, I plug the zappi in to the car, it tries to charge for 30 seconds then goes to waiting.
In the zappi app my settings are below.
Do not close the zappi app on your phone.
Hope it helps, works for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231126-084226_myenergi.jpg
    Screenshot_20231126-084226_myenergi.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 334
Hi
It doesn’t matter wether the zappi app is open or closed
I have my slider set to 100% as in photo
All we have to do is plug the cars {MG5 & MG ZS) in, no opening and closing app, and let the zappi do the work
I have set it to charge 3 hours 45 minutes as if I set it to 4 hours it drains the house battery thinking it’s excess solar for some reason
Hope this helps
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
IMG_1510.png

This is great info, thank you all. I've had my MG5 Trophy for just 3 weeks (first time EV owner) and came here specifically looking for help as I tried to use the cheap Octopus Go window last night but it failed.

My problem is that occasionally I get an error message on the Zappi and the app saying “Under/Over Voltage”. https://support.myenergi.com/hc/en-gb/articles/15196243593873-Bad-Voltage-Range-Under-Over-Voltage

I've noticed the red error light when I've returned from nights out before I had the car but it clears eventually. This seems to have stopped the scheduled charge last night so I charged it for the first time today at normal tariff. I noticed the error on the Zappi app temporarily this evening again but it has cleared since.

Should I contact Octopus as to why the error keeps happening? Would updating the firmware help? I was impressed at how cheap it was charging at daytime rate but I'd prefer to get that lovely cheaper juice in the night if possible. Any thoughts for a newbie would be most welcome.

Hello,
I've been an MG4 owner for a few weeks.
I recently had a Myenergi Zappi installed. I've tried and failed to get the car to charge at my cheap rate from 00.30 hours.
Last night I set the scheduled time on the car. No charge.
I've set the scheduled time on the Zappi. No charge.
I can instant charge but not get the car to accept a scheduled charge.
What am I doing wrong please?
Is the car asleep? Do I need to get out of bed in the middle of the night to wake it up?!....

A simple, idiots guide to what buttons to press when and where would be very welcome!
Section 13 of the instruction manual has all the details.

Also the techs at MyEnergi are very good and very helpful if you call them. The support is free
I had the same issue as you and they talked me through everything in a couple of minutes

And the app is definitely the way to go !

We charge our MG5 SR using off peak cheap electricity from midnight to 5am with our Zappi without problem.
We plug in at 10pm on eco mode 1.4kW on the Zappi and set the boost to full power from midnight in the myenergi app,
Screenshot_20231202_114840_myenergi.jpg
this ensures the car stays awake from 10pm and it simply accepts the full 7.4kW boost from midnight. If not fully charged by 5am the Zappi simply reverts to eco mode to finish off or until we unplug the car at around 8am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this:
No schedule on charger, set to fast.
Set schedule on car. (Ensure start time is correct after setting end time.)
Leave car turned on.
Plug in cable to charger (if untethered) and then to car.
Charger should try to charge and then go to delayed charge. Set this point lock the car to switch it off.
Avoid checking anything on app before 0.30
I have the same issue with my podpoint and this works for me

Hi
It doesn’t matter wether the zappi app is open or closed
I have my slider set to 100% as in photo
All we have to do is plug the cars {MG5 & MG ZS) in, no opening and closing app, and let the zappi do the work
I have set it to charge 3 hours 45 minutes as if I set it to 4 hours it drains the house battery thinking it’s excess solar for some reason
Hope this helps
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻View attachment 21842
I’ve got a Zappi & Solar too. Another method of avoiding the battery drain is put a very slight trickle charge into the battery in the summer for the whole cheap rate duration and winter up the charge as required so batteries are atleast 80% but adjust to your circs and No battery drain at all

I have a Zappi, but I've just set scheduled charging in the MG software. One annoyance is the MG4 sometimes decides to start charging so you have to double check it doesn't. I've also seen it decide to reset 80% to 100% and I don't know the reason.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 515 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back