Indicators flashing when blind spot is activated

MKR58

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
I noticed in the reflection of the cars in front when sat in traffic, when the blind spot detection has activated the front indicators flash also

anyone else had this and is there a fix?

73 plate xpower

That is supposed to flash only the rear lights (page 235) .
Based on page 231 "Blind Spot Detection ( BSD ) alerts the vehicles in the vehicle's blind spot ( 1 as shown), Lane Change Assist ( LCA ) alerts the rapidly approaching vehicles on the adjacent left or right lane ( 2 as shown). "

If it isn't about lane changing it is about BSD.

It's not blind spot as the lights in the glass of the door mirrors didn't flash (in my occasion) and the car wasn't in my blind spot as it was coming up behind me and went off left up a filter lane and both door mirror indicators flashed rapidly. Obviously as I was in the drivers seat I don't know what happened at the front & back of the car but imagine all the hazards briefly went on.

That is supposed to flash only the rear lights (page 235) .
Based on page 231 "Blind Spot Detection ( BSD ) alerts the vehicles in the vehicle's blind spot ( 1 as shown), Lane Change Assist ( LCA ) alerts the rapidly approaching vehicles on the adjacent left or right lane ( 2 as shown). "

If it isn't about lane changing it is about BSD.
Further across page 235.it mentions flashing the rear direction indicator lamps, which presumably we would see notified to us as the door mirror indicators also flashing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240114_201437_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114_201437_Samsung Notes.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 32
Flashing both indicators should not happen when a passing car comes into your blind spot, no other car does this.
The car passing would think you are pulling out and the car behind would think you have an issues and are signalling your intention to slow down/pull over.
The only time I see cars signaling with both indicators is they are thanking me for letting them into the lane from a slip road or they see an obstruction or slow down ahead, or they are breaking down and need space to pull over.

Flashing both indicators should not happen when a passing car comes into your blind spot, no other car does this.
The car passing would think you are pulling out and the car behind would think you have an issues and are signalling your intention to slow down/pull over.
The only time I see cars signaling with both indicators is they are thanking me for letting them into the lane from a slip road or they see an obstruction or slow down ahead, or they are breaking down and need space to pull over

The only time I see cars signaling with both indicators is they are thanking me for letting them into the lane from a slip road or they see an obstruction or slow down ahead, or they are breaking down and need space to pull over.
Just to clarify, it's not a blind spot issue the MG is recognising a vehicle coming straight towards the rear of it. In my instance the vehicle in question was coming up behind me and then they went around me (in a traffic light queue) and went up a left filter lane.

But could he have come from a lane on the right side of you, but you spotting him only when he was behind you?
Basically no. It's a B road (one lane each way) and at the top of this particular piece of road it branches off to the left as well as continuing North & South (pic attached) I was approximately where the X is shown going Northbound. It's really not that important and I'm happy that the car did what it needed to do. It just happened to be the first time I'd seen this since getting the car on 20/11/23. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240114_211106_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114_211106_Maps.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 36
I've seen this a few times. It is definitely someone approaching directly behind. If they approach quickly then I see the indicators in the mirror rapid flashing which I presume is repeated on the rear indicators. It is a rapid flash and would not be mistaken for hazard lights.

I've seen this a few times. It is definitely someone approaching directly behind. If they approach quickly then I see the indicators in the mirror rapid flashing which I presume is repeated on the rear indicators. It is a rapid flash and would not be mistaken for hazard lights.
Thank you

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel