Insurance with built in GPS tracker

Jester27

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Just playing with the ismart app and had a thought while hoi g through the features
Would the in built GPS car finder count as a tracking device for insurance purposes ?

I definitely tracks the car very well.

Notifications when the car is started also.

Surely that should reduce your premiums.

Not many cars have that feature

Just playing with the ismart app and had a thought while hoi g through the features
Would the in built GPS car finder count as a tracking device for insurance purposes ?

I definitely tracks the car very well.

Notifications when the car is started also.

Surely that should reduce your premiums.

Not many cars have that feature
When I was asked I explained what it did and the lady on the phone said it means you have a tracker then and I said oh ok... so I hope that is the case, but I would also like someone else to confirm this.

I’d be careful - I doubt very much that it’s a tracker that would be recognised by insurance companies and the police. Happy to be proven wrong though.

I have a similar location feature on my current car’s app, and it is definitely not classed by my insurer as a tracker.

I think the insurance trackers need to be able to be tracked by the police so when it's activated as stolen it'll ping any passing police car.
I agree too.
But they really aught to offer a discount over cars that don't have this feature
Surely it's better than not having it

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 528 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel