Intelligent Octopus Go works like a dream.

Thats easily sorted:-

1) Open the Octopus app
2) Click at the top left corner
3) Click on devices
4) Click intelligent octopus go
5) Scroll down
6) Turn off smart charging.

IOG will now not respond to you car being plugged in.

Just one question though, why do you want to charge from solar when you can exporrt to the grid at 15p and charge your car at 7.5p?
I'm pretty sure Octopus will kick you off the Intelligent tariff if you turn off smart charging too often. They need a couple of charges a month to qualify. It's a grid balancing tariff after all.

I'm pretty sure Octopus will kick you off the Intelligent tariff if you turn off smart charging too often. They need a couple of charges a month to qualify. It's a grid balancing tariff after all.
They actually don't but I suppose it's possible. The poster asked how make the system charge from his solar PV, I assumed this was just occasionally rather than permanently. They specifiy one charge per month but many users are reporting that Octopus have told them to disable intelligent charging when they have had problems. For me, I have it connected to my Zappi and it works fine.

They actually don't but I suppose it's possible. The poster asked how make the system charge from his solar PV, I assumed this was just occasionally rather than permanently. They specifiy one charge per month but many users are reporting that Octopus have told them to disable intelligent charging when they have had problems. For me, I have it connected to my Zappi and it works fine.
Your comments are absolutely correct. I shall still be doing my normal charging via the scheduled method. It works well and reliably.

I find the MyEnergi app excellent, set schedules on it for Zappi and Eddi and can monitor battery consumption and solar generation from anywhere.
I’m with Intelligent Octopus Go, and it works really well with my Zappi & Eddi. All car charging, domestic water heating and dish washer was using off peak rate. On high solar generation days Zappi & Eddi automatically take surplus generation.
Just had GivEnergy AIO batteries installed and now only use off peak charged power from grid or no purchased power at all. Two days ago we didn’t need to draw any power from the grid as our solar powered our house, hot water, EV and batteries. Wonderful! Just need to lobby in order to reduce standing charge‼️

I’m with Intelligent Octopus Go, and it works really well with my Zappi & Eddi. All car charging, domestic water heating and dish washer was using off peak rate. On high solar generation days Zappi & Eddi automatically take surplus generation.
Just had GivEnergy AIO batteries installed and now only use off peak charged power from grid or no purchased power at all. Two days ago we didn’t need to draw any power from the grid as our solar powered our house, hot water, EV and batteries. Wonderful! Just need to lobby in order to reduce standing charge‼️
You can have a tariff with utlita with zero standing charge.

I've not tried your suggestion just yet, as I was keen to explain why I'm not able to do the export transaction. I've had panels since 2011, and consequently enjoying 61p/ kwh for everything I generate. So I'm reluctant to risk losing that tariff.
But thank you for your guidance around the Octopus app.
You can keep your FIT generation payments but opt out of the FIT export payments (about 4.5p per kWh), then sign up for Octopus Fixed Export at 15p per kWh. You still keep your 61p for what you generate.

You can keep your FIT generation payments but opt out of the FIT export payments (about 4.5p per kWh), then sign up for Octopus Fixed Export at 15p per kWh. You still keep your 61p for what you generate.
I was half aware of that option, but had not realised that the difference in tariff was quite so big. I may well go for that option
Many thanks.

Now my AC charging works again, I am finally thinking of shifting from Go to Intelligent.

I understand how it works pretty well.

Just one question: do I have to tell it how much to charge the car every time I plug in or can I just set it once to add a fixed percentage and then plug in and forget it?

I like the simplicity of my current setup where I literally just plug the car in, that's it.

Now my AC charging works again, I am finally thinking of shifting from Go to Intelligent.

I understand how it works pretty well.

Just one question: do I have to tell it how much to charge the car every time I plug in or can I just set it once to add a fixed percentage and then plug in and forget it?

I like the simplicity of my current setup where I literally just plug the car in, that's it.
Just leave it set at 100%, it will work fine.

I tend to add an extra 10% to the charge to add and I'm not convinced it ever fully completes the balance charge as looking at the Zappi logs it always cuts off at exactly the end of the scheduled time. I know you can force a bump charge but that requires being awake at 23.30!

Anyway @tsedge - yes the answer to your question is you can just leave it set to add 100%.

From experience if you set the end time at 04:00 it quite often gives extra slots in the afternoon or late evening, never seen any between about 16:30 to 20:00 which is understandable.

I tend to add an extra 10% to the charge to add and I'm not convinced it ever fully completes the balance charge as looking at the Zappi logs it always cuts off at exactly the end of the scheduled time.
I wont balance unless you charge to 100% and the Zappi is not scheduled to stop charging.

Well I have switched over last night and it took all of 10 minutes and worked fine last night.

I can't help thinking that gaming the system by always having +100% and an early finish time (to get cheap slots in the evening) will not always been tolerated by Octopus. But let's see.

Thanks for all the advice and help here.

Well I have switched over last night and it took all of 10 minutes and worked fine last night.

I can't help thinking that gaming the system by always having +100% and an early finish time (to get cheap slots in the evening) will not always been tolerated by Octopus. But let's see.

Thanks for all the advice and help here.
Octopus state for non api cars you need to add the % you want to add each time. If you are on FB have a look at the group 'Ohme integration with intelligent octopus go'

Octopus state for non api cars you need to add the % you want to add each time. If you are on FB have a look at the group 'Ohme integration with intelligent octopus go'
It really doesn't matter, it's not a big deal. They only use that information to decide when to start your charge and for how long.

It really doesn't matter, it's not a big deal. They only use that information to decide when to start your charge and for how long.
Incorrect, core hours are 11:30 - 5:30 anything outside of that window is a bonus. If you are forcing the algorithm to give you slots outside of that window when electricity costs more for the supplier to purchase they are going to do something about it.

Incorrect, core hours are 11:30 - 5:30 anything outside of that window is a bonus. If you are forcing the algorithm to give you slots outside of that window when electricity costs more for the supplier to purchase they are going to do something about it.
Do you mean 2330-0530?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel