Interesting/worrying story from Scotland - ZS with no brakes.

Not bothered by residuals, after all its an MG and the residuals are someone elses problem. No particular bias. 30 years in the software and firmware industry. Driver error and panic more probable than a confluence of issues. MG uses third party suppliers who also supply other manufacturers so it's not as if its one homogenous design lovingly crafted at SAIC.

Skepticism until a credible third party or MG have a chance to review is just a sane position to start from after all for every "computer fault" there are exponentially more human errors where a computer gets blamed.

If there's a fault, let it be fixed, but I wouldn't in this person's position come storming onto a thread in such a hostile fashion and not expect some push back, nor would I have gone straight down the media route as its obvious you lose control of the narrative.

But he clearly made different choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insulting towards others. This is exactly the kind of disrespect that I asked people not to exhibit
He's probably got it on motability.
He didn't like it.
Motability said he couldn't change it.
He crashes it with a tale coming straight from an 8 year-old's mouth.
Voila, he gets his wish to get a different car.

The single, most plausible, excuse I could come up with

I remember when I was in my 20s, very late at night after a band practise session near Bramall Lane, my best friend and I got in to my brown and white Morris Marina estate and I pulled away.
The steering wheel wouldn't turn!!
So I hit the brake, but it wouldn't move!!
My mate yelled 'Hand brake!' but too late, we hit a brick wall at about 5 miles an hour.
Turns out that in the dark (the courtesy light had blown, of course), I forgot to remove the Crook Lock, which I always put round the brake pedal after a mate of mine had his car pinched because the thieves could hit down on the accelerator hard and break the lock. The brake pedal doesn't travel so far, so that was my pedal of choice.
User error.
The brick wall had a bit of paint scuffed off it, but it was a huge wall for some factory and had lots of peeling paint and scuffs already, so not worth reporting.
And it did about £30 worth of improvements to my Morris, so no big deal.
That's my only 'car out of control' story :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

This was the BBC News Scotland version of the story

From that article it sounds like MG don't have access to his car to examine it, and are in contact with him trying to arrange it. So who recovered it and where to and where is it now?

And so it begin's :-

Apparently the MG was doing a steady 30 by itself - not accelerating - just to correct something you said. As it happens, back in the 1980s I bought my first brand new car - a VW Passat hatch (series 2) which had a twin choke carburettor. Once I had run it in, my first overtake turned into a nightmare when pressing the accelerator the pedal just slumped to the floor and the car accelerated full tilt out of control. As you say, the ignition key was the saviour, providing I didn't pull it out and disable steering! (at 90mph on a single lane road).. Happened twice - details irrelevant, but caused by a carburettor manufacturing fault. Then, also in the 1980s in the USA there was a spate of cars driving through garage walls and into swimming pools on start-up. All automatics, and first reported in Audis. Cold weather caused the choke to cause high revs and zoom! when selecting gear. Hence from then on you cannot start or select drive without foot hard on the brake. So it's a car thing - not just evs. Hopefully rare. We run 2 evs. (Not MG - did have a ZS EV 2022 model (same as Brian's) for a short while.)

Hi. Is the EPB button the central one with R N D which you press to engage handbrake? Tia
The EPB is a separate switch on the centre console, not the one in the centre of the drive selector. You lift and hold the switch to activate everything, and it makes a bit of a racket, so you know it's on.

Where abouts is it on the centre consol?
Screenshot_20231007_174349_Firefox.jpg

Ta. For some reason I was thinking of the E meaning 'Emergency' and not 'Electronic', albeit reading it, it can be be used for emergency braking. Interesting to note the comment about not switching off the START/STOP switch, whilst emergency braking, as it may risk serious injury.
I think that's probably the same warning that's been on most cars for decades, not to turn off the ignotion when you're driving

This whole story stinks to be honest. My money's on a legacy manufacturer trying to dent the increasing sales numbers of the new and smaller brands by lacing legacy ‘news’ outlets with non-stories like this.

Insulting towards others. You have no idea if he is 'a click bait junky and fantasist' and this insult warrants a warning.
This whole story stinks to be honest. My money's on a legacy manufacturer trying to dent the increasing sales numbers of the new and smaller brands by lacing legacy ‘news’ outlets with non-stories like this.
I don't think it's that, although it does stink. (remainder removed following warning, I was maybe being a bit too harsh!)

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom