iSmart 2.0 app woes [merged - all discussion in here please]

AdamMGEV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So the MG app used to work with our mg4... not perfectly but enough. Now it won't put the heating on remotely, it just says status unknown and setting the max charge rate seems a little random whether it saves or not. I've never got the keyless start to work, I just tend to not bother with it now which is a shame. MG4 Trophy original model but with latest update

Does anyone else find the app only works intermittently, and is there an easy fix for this? It sometimes says it can't find the car or just fails to perform any remote functions. It's fine most of the time, but feels like it always fails to work when you need it most, like wanting to remotely defrost the windscreen etc. on a cold morning. I'm fairly tech savvy, and am inclined to think it's weak software or server issues by MG, not anything I can really do - but I don't know 🤷

Unfortunately, it's the software, hardware and server working (or not) together. Not the most reliable app I've seen.

Not sure whether it applies to you but the car goes into a 'deep sleep' mode after about 24 hrs and iSmart doesn't wake it.
Also remote AC doesn't work if the car is plugged in.

Not sure whether it applies to you but the car goes into a 'deep sleep' mode after about 24 hrs and iSmart doesn't wake it.
Ah, that's interesting. The deep sleep thing makes sense in that it has sometimes reconnected to the app after turning on again, but it didn't this time, so it Seems somewhat inconsistent. It's a bit daft that it does both those things, I mean, what's the point of a remote app if it can't wake the car 🤣 and I thought the whole point of being able to warm an EV in the morning whilst plugged in is that you aren't draining your battery, therefore range 🤷

iSmart works fine for me. If you connect after the car has been asleep for a long time like say 24 hours it appears to connect initially but then will not display the status screen. Try again & then it will provide the stats plus other functions run as well.

It seems to have to wake the the car up first and will ignore initial contact till this happens. Note that this is when connected to my home WiFi. I am not sure what happens if connected to the web.

For the former an Unlock/Lock action using the key fob often wakes the car up.

For the latter it depends on what car you have and what software is installed. In my MG4 SE SR that was true, but after my service last week when software updates were applied (including 1100R33 Infotainment) remote AC now works fine - even if plugged in and not charging.

I am also now facing an issue with the i(not)Smart app.

I've had the car since the beginning of November and had no issues logging into the app. Now all of a sudden for the last 5 days I get the error in the image below 'the service is not available, please try again later'. I know it's not my login, as I can log into the account in user settings in the car. The car has also been driven many times this week so it's not a sitting idle issue. I'm guessing it's something on the MG server side of things, but no idea how to fix it.

I did have my new charge point installed on Monday and charged the car on a pre-timed charge overnight to coincide with my tariff rate. Ever since then iSmart has not worked, but I'm hoping that's just a coincidence. Who knows..

Attachments

• IMG_9788.jpeg
    IMG_9788.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 84
Mine stopped working the same days before my charger was installed, so I doubt it's related. I've given up with it - the one thing I really wanted was the ability to get the AC running a few minutes before I needed the car and that was the one thing which never worked anyway.

Mine stopped working the same days before my charger was installed, so I doubt it's related. I've given up with it - the one thing I really wanted was the ability to get the AC running a few minutes before I needed the car and that was the one thing which never worked anyway.
Pretty much all I wanted it for as well. Would have been nice with the cold weather this week! Hey ho, maybe they’ll update the app at some point.

Does anyone else find the app only works intermittently, and is there an easy fix for this? It sometimes says it can't find the car or just fails to perform any remote functions. It's fine most of the time, but feels like it always fails to work when you need it most, like wanting to remotely defrost the windscreen etc. on a cold morning. I'm fairly tech savvy, and am inclined to think it's weak software or server issues by MG, not anything I can really do - but I don't know 🤷
UPDATE: It finally worked again later in the day, so I'm guessing it's just an intermittent server issue. It only fully worked after I'd connected my phone for android auto, but that may be coincidence. It's mostly only an issue when wanting to remotely heat the car or for charging management. I'll see how things go when the home charger is finally installed in a week's time.

I find the whole car works intermittently, it is really a beta sample that needs making production-ready and quality checking.

Woke up this morning. Wanted to check the charge and switch on the heating.

After several false starts it told me the car was on 91% (a lie) and that it was moving and at a location 3.5 miles away.

1000018284.png

It was actually on 73% and on our driveway.

But then I tried to switch on the heating, it failed repeatedly.

Somewhere someone recommended a hard reset. Tried that, no joy. The app is still stuffed up now.

Funnily enough, last time the display showed 91% and stayed at 91% for ages, I suspected there was a problem.

Maybe just coincidence...

Found that if you use the key to unlock/lock the car, the car comes out of deep sleep and the iSMART app will function again, bit warmer than having to go out and defrost the car

Found that if you use the key to unlock/lock the car, the car comes out of deep sleep and the iSMART app will function again, bit warmer than having to go out and defrost the car
No, I appreciate that can do it, but it didn't work on this occasion. Was a few hours before the app was functioning again.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom