Hi, yes, I am. I tried rebooting, re-install and factory reset. I can scan QR code to login, can see my name appearing and very brielfy see the option to bind to the car but it disappears immediately. It is a new car so wouldnt have thought it was “bound” already? But unsure how I could check that.
Please humour me and sorry for all the questions. You talk about scanning the QR code to login, that is confusing me because I thought you scan to register not to login. (Note, I downloaded the app and created an account before I got near the Info screen, so that's new to me.) In your reply to my question you said you logged in before you went to the car. Are you saying that you have tried both ways? Are you using the same credentials (username/password) as you used to create the account? How did you create the account?

Please humour me and sorry for all the questions. You talk about scanning the QR code to login, that is confusing me because I thought you scan to register not to login. (Note, I downloaded the app and created an account before I got near the Info screen, so that's new to me.) In your reply to my question you said you logged in before you went to the car. Are you saying that you have tried both ways? Are you using the same credentials (username/password) as you used to create the account? How did you create the account?
I installed and registered and logged in on the app. When you come to the login screen in the car you can either log in through phone/email or through QR. I tried both ways (qr/phone) and login on the car. But that's it, can't get any further than that. As mentioned previously I briefly see a button “connect vehicle” appear next to my name on the car but that goes very fast.

I installed and registered and logged in on the app. When you come to the login screen in the car you can either log in through phone/email or through QR. I tried both ways (qr/phone) and login on the car. But that's it, can't get any further than that. As mentioned previously I briefly see a button “connect vehicle” appear next to my name on the car but that goes very fast.

There are two QR codes on the infotainment screen. The first one is to download the app on to your phone, the second is to bind your phone to the car's account and if I remember it's in the lower right portion of the screen. If your car's screen is in dark/night mode the second QR code doesn't show up.

I had a similar experience with the app recently when trying to login. The login details, phone no etc, had always present but were missing asking me to reinput.
When trying to select the country code (44) from the drop down box a screen briefly appeared then disappeared with a message "resource not available try later" Reinstalling the app made no difference.
This went on for 4 days until I noticed that my phone clock was running 3 minutes fast (Thanks to BBC breakfast time check) on checking my phone setting the time had been manually set and was not getting it from the network. Changed this setting and the App worked instantly and has been stable ever since.

I had a similar experience with the app recently when trying to login. The login details, phone no etc, had always present but were missing asking me to reinput.
When trying to select the country code (44) from the drop down box a screen briefly appeared then disappeared with a message "resource not available try later" Reinstalling the app made no difference.
This went on for 4 days until I noticed that my phone clock was running 3 minutes fast (Thanks to BBC breakfast time check) on checking my phone setting the time had been manually set and was not getting it from the network. Changed this setting and the App worked instantly and has been stable ever since.
Thanks for the reminder. It's essential that the clock is correct.

JCW, have you tried logging in to your account with another device? If possible can you upload a screenshot of the account page that appears after you have logged in. (I did not have a problem but someone who has had problems nay recognise the page and offer a solution.)

Finally, you say your car is new; I am sure someone had a problem and it was because the car had not been registered with MG servers. I can't find the post though.

JCW, have you tried logging in to your account with another device? If possible can you upload a screenshot of the account page that appears after you have logged in. (I did not have a problem but someone who has had problems nay recognise the page and offer a solution.)

Finally, you say your car is new; I am sure someone had a problem and it was because the car had not been registered with MG servers. I can't find the post though.
That rings a bell with me too.

No - it was someone who had to get MG involved as their servers simply didn't recognise the vehicle's VIN so they couldn't bind.

Thanks. I am trying to reach MG to see if has to do with server. I will try this activate head.

Hi, it may help some. I have a MG5 (I know wrong forum but... binding problem) and the car was bound to another driver that had originally had it on lease or someone in the dealership.
That was only apparent when I tried to bind, got that cleared via the dealer and it still would not bind, went thought all the suggestions apart from a reset.

Kept getting to the 'service is not available, please try again later'

But the one suggestion that finally worked and did bind in the app v2.0.2, was the clearing of the cache, and on the next bind it worked straight away.

Right bottom menu icon in the app / settings / clear cache.

I've got a binding question. I've registered and logged in on the MG Smart app.

I've logged in on the MG 4 (Trophy ER) and clicked the "Connect Vehicle" button and got to the page where there are 2 small QR codes.

But...I cannot scan the 2nd QR code using the app. On my iPhone 15 Pro Max it's just tiny and doesn't scan despite trying multiple times. I can't zoom in and if I hold it closer it goes out of focus.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Take a photo of it, go to your computer and login to Apple photos and find the photo (I'm assuming photos will be backed up to your iCloud account, like what happens with Google), zoom it up (if needed) and scan your computer screen?

And/or - is the car screen dark or light? (Force it to light theme).

May be, some trick with a surrogate diaphragm? Take a sheet of [black] paper, pierce the hole with a pin, and put the hole in front of the center of your camera. The image will get a lot dimmer, and it may seem blurred due to the long "shutter" timing, but the "Depth-of-Field" will increase a lot! So, having very stable hands, you will be able to capture the QR from closer distance.

Another trick you can play with "positive" lens — from "magnifying lens" to your granny's presbyopia glasses ;) . This will give you closer focusing distance.

Happily, my Gnusmas tablet was able to capture the small QN-code in a blink.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back