iSmart messed up home charging

Thanks. I’m second guessing myself. I’m going to get a lucky rabbits foot and an exorcism on the charging port and see if that helps.

Thanks. I’m second guessing myself. I’m going to get a lucky rabbits foot and an exorcism on the charging port and see if that helps.
I think someone mentioned recently that there was a software update related to the charge port. Maybe ask your dealer

Thanks. Just back from the Tesco 7kw chargers which it trips out too.
You’re not having much luck. I take it you’ve tried different cables? If so, then get it back to the dealer as something isn’t right

You’re not having much luck. I take it you’ve tried different cables? If so, then get it back to the dealer as something isn’t right
Yes thanks. Home unit is tethered. Supermarket is bring your own cable so have used different cables.

Yes thanks. Home unit is tethered. Supermarket is bring your own cable so have used different cables.
Definitely sounds like you need another trip to the dealer in that case. Either a software or hardware issue I think. Hopefully a software issue, as that could be easily sorted with the right update.

@OrpMG4 I feel your pain believe me. Is this also happening on the normal three pin domestic plug for you?

Slightly frustratingly I have brought a demo trophy LR home to test and I have the same issue. I am getting a new charger fitted tomorrow and hopefully that will resolve that particular problem.

Slightly frustratingly I have brought a demo trophy LR home to test and I have the same issue. I am getting a new charger fitted tomorrow and hopefully that will resolve that particular problem.
Realistically it’s going to be your home charge point or the cable to blame in that case…assuming you’ve used the same cable of course

@Diggsy had a new cable yes (actually tried three different ones). What is strange is that for 2hours and 39 minutes the charger worked fine!
Hmm…that is strange! Hopefully just a fault with the charge point and the replacement sorts it

@OrpMG4 I feel your pain believe me. Is this also happening on the normal three pin domestic plug for you?

I haven’t tried the three pin as there’s no convenient socket and it’s too slow to be of any use. About 1 in 10 attempts to 7kw charge my car at home is successful. Going to the dealers this week.

FYI all. Had a new charger (ICS) installed. Also not working. So confused. I just wish it would not work anywhere but it only seems to be here at home on the 7kwh charger. Working fine on the domestic charger.

Sorry that sucks. By domestic charger working you mean the 3 pin plug? Have you tried a public 7kw charger? If both your original and new home chargers and a public 7kw ac charger don’t work it’s got to be the car. Did the installer have any theories?

Hi all. I did get it working after much sorting of various aspects such as connecting to the internet. Connecting back to the suppliers servers, etc. Got the firmware updated and then app connected and is now working! Which is good. But my goodness, what a mission to achieve.
That’s good news, but I’m surprised your installer didn’t do that for you or at least walk you through the process. Anyway, at least now you can charge your car from the comfort of your home.

Does anyone know if dealers have any diagnostic kit that simulates an AC chargepoint they can plug into to the car to check whether it’s communicating as expected to initiate, maintain and terminate a charging session?

Was reading up about PWM comms protocol and am aware the car needs to respond by switching resistors in and out to manage the signal voltage with the chargepoint. Wondering if it’s failing to do that or there’s an earthing issue or something else.

I think my dealer is just removing and reinstalling software without understanding how the car is behaving. Stuck in limbo whilst they await instructions from MG on what to try next. I get the impression they are just using a device that checks the software and says either “this is fine”, “this needs updating” or “this is messed up - call MG” so are flying blind. Hard to tell when you can’t talk to the technician and im not convinced how well informed the front desk staff are on EVs

Does anyone know if dealers have any diagnostic kit that simulates an AC chargepoint they can plug into to the car to check whether it’s communicating as expected to initiate, maintain and terminate a charging session?

Was reading up about PWM comms protocol and am aware the car needs to respond by switching resistors in and out to manage the signal voltage with the chargepoint. Wondering if it’s failing to do that or there’s an earthing issue or something else.

I think my dealer is just removing and reinstalling software without understanding how the car is behaving. Stuck in limbo whilst they await instructions from MG on what to try next. I get the impression they are just using a device that checks the software and says either “this is fine”, “this needs updating” or “this is messed up - call MG” so are flying blind. Hard to tell when you can’t talk to the technician and im not convinced how well informed the front desk staff are on EVs
I think it is even worse than that - it sounds very much as if the dealers simply tell the car to do its updates and it talks directly to Chinese servers and tries to apply them - but sometimes it goes wrong and then the dealer needs China to advise on what to do next.

I believe the only part of the car that can be upgraded separately is infotainment, which we know can be done via USB.

Eek. I saw the USB reinstall in action for the infotainment. I hoped they’d be able to do some sort of diagnostics and fault finding locally though

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back