iSmart messed up home charging

@OrpMG4 I don't believe there is. I went around the houses a lot on my issue. The closest I got was the electrician using his charge point testing kit. But this is not software related. I definitely feel there are issues with the MG software on this. However, I could not prove this and when I installed the new ICS charger and updated the firmware on it, it DID work. Personally, I feel that all the manufacturers of the various devices and software developers, and of course, the support engineers, need to get more cohesion. All seems strange.

Unless they messed up I only ordered the standard range one :). Just checked all my paperwork and it says it is that. Would the app still show these features and just not actually work? As the app seems to show the ability to set the charge percentage.

I also tried all the different timings, etc on the chargers and car, etc and the point is still not working but it does work from the normal plug.

@OrpMG4 interesting that you are having similar issues. I agree with you on the software side. But extremely frustrating as I am getting a new charger, potentially for no reason, as it could be the car software but I am unable to get it consistently failing (if that makes sense) on all the chargers I try. I will see what happens with the demo car tomorrow.
docbog, orp: I've an SESR and, from non-systematic observation it works like Diggsy et al have said; unlock car, plug in, lock car.
Re app control:
(i) I use the app timers in addition to the domestic wall charger timer (yeah a bit autistic, i know) but set a margin of 1 minute outside the actual desired times, so the 'precise' smart wall charger-set timings actually do the control.* However, exiting the app or changing some other settings within it often causes the app controller to reset the timing window to a default 22:00 - 06:00 'charge on' period, beware!
(ii) The 'battery health' charge level limit function, principally intended to cater for the NMC LR/Trophy batteries, doesn't seem to differentiate the SR's LFP battery requirements, but instead appears to guide 80% or 'long journey' (i.e. 100%) limit levels at random. In December, when first using the app, the charge limit level was controllable by sliding the battery level line across the battery symbol (in app); now, that doesn't seem to work and the app chooses it's charge limit level. I govern what i want by regulating the current supplied by the wall charger, so necessitating brain use and furtling with apps. (Yeah, bonkers...). This has worked very well except for a month or so when the wall charger was being the opposite of 'smart' (causing several needed overnight charges to fail) and it nearly got sledgehammered; it was either that or removal + refund, but they fixed the software just as i was getting the big 'un out the shed...
(iii) ok so saic are advising battery 100% charges at weekly (SR LFP) or monthly (LR/Trophy NMC) intervals. Now battery tech may (has probably) advanced/changed since i was reading-up last November, but the principal reason for 100% charging an LFP (SR) is to allow the bms to get an accurate map of each of the battery 'maximum' cell voltages: This is not a chemistery exercise that improves the battery performance (it doesn't), it merely allows the bms to more accurately compute the SoC (State of Charge), which also improves gom 'accuracy', fwiw. The reason, then, if it doesn't improve the cells performance: LFP cells have a rather 'flat' voltage-vs-cell charge state curve, and SoC/gom is determined (cheap and easy) from battery Voltage, so a battery with numerous cells of widely different voltages is a bu99er for the bms to assess soc-wise. There is no significant cell-health reason i've read that indicates LFP cells benefit from 100% charging.
So why do the monthly 100% bit on NMC's? Dunno. I've read of no NMC evidence that says charging to 100% does anything but reduce battery life. If you do need it, start using the charge asap (i.e. less than a few hours) after reaching that state. Or you'll grow yer dendrites more than you'd like.
Maybe some chemisery dudes have access to in-depth info and will 'put this right'...?

* a few days ago i happened to be in the car when the radio was bleeping the Greenwich clock 'hour' bleeps: about 6 seconds after the last 'setting' beep, the phone changed (Pixel, Android 13 etc) Now i thought that these clocks were working to gps-type time accuracy, i.e. nanoseconds Apparently not, always. Now imagine if you've set the 'same' time on your app and wall-charger, and a few fractions of a second separate the control inputs...confusing, even for a computer which probably has buffers and less than perfect instruction precedence management...

As you say, it is partly about balancing the cells but also the BMS knowing the state of charge - if it loses track it can't manage charging effectively and the car may shutdown or reduce power unnecessarily.

The dealer for my non-7kw ac charging Trophy now think it’s a faulty charging port on the car so are investigating lead times for a new one. I’ve queried how they can be sure it isn’t an issue with the onboard charger inside the car as my understanding is that some of the resistors / switches that manage the comms between the car and wall charger sit in there. (Based on link below)

Anyone got a view? Thanks 🙏

I have an issue that the car only seems to charge on a 7kw charger when initiated through the the app or the infotainment menu. This has only just started, anybody else have this?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back