I live in a fairly thick walled building. In some places there are 40cm stone walls. As a result There are some blank spots where I can't read the car info. I have to raise my phone to full arm height if I'm in my favorite chair. No bad thing though as it also stops my smart watch fom continually prompting me to get up and move around. I'm so lazy apparently.

Had my MG4 for nearly SIX MONTHS! And the dealership nor I can even get my phone (nor several phones owned by the Dealership Employees) to bind with my car. Not too worried, just don't have to answer any calls. I used to be a Marine Engineer and out of 300 alarms 280 were permanently not working whilst Japanese similar ships all alarms working 100%. If the Oriental spies want to hack my car software feel free to give me a call.....

I can very seldom get the app to connect to the car when it's parked outside the house - there is generally good reception here. However it did connect fine yesterday at my dad's place in the country where reception's usually pretty bad.

However the other day I must have not closed the boot properly and when I opened it, the car alarm went off. I then got a barrage of text messages from MG about the 'unauthorised entry'. So it must have a cell connection in order to send that alert to MG.

All in all quite puzzling.

I can very seldom get the app to connect to the car when it's parked outside the house - there is generally good reception here. However it did connect fine yesterday at my dad's place in the country where reception's usually pretty bad.

However the other day I must have not closed the boot properly and when I opened it, the car alarm went off. I then got a barrage of text messages from MG about the 'unauthorised entry'. So it must have a cell connection in order to send that alert to MG.

All in all quite puzzling.
I did exactly the same yesterday with the bonnet, had all the street looking out there windows 🤪

Mine seems to be working normally again now. I even believe the inside temperature reading.

I have another query. When I go back to the menu screen on my phone a message appears saying "MG iSMART has been running in the background". Is this a bad thing? Is it going to drain the 12v battery? If it is a bad thing, how do I stop it?

I should imagine that the only certain way of stopping the app keeping the drain on the 12v battery is to make sure you close the app down after each use, by whatever method your phone uses (I have to swipe up on my phone).

I need to figure it out. The 12v battery was showing at 12.3v though, which isn't too bad. I've found a "force stop" option under "app info" so that should probably do it. It's a bit weird the thing seems to be made to be running all the time if it's not good for the 12v.

Mine seems to be working normally again now. I even believe the inside temperature reading.

I have another query. When I go back to the menu screen on my phone a message appears saying "MG iSMART has been running in the background". Is this a bad thing? Is it going to drain the 12v battery? If it is a bad thing, how do I stop it?
Doesn't that mean that the app is still running, but on your phone, not in the car? So no effect on the 12v battery.

Maybe it's the understanding of English of the app creator, but ... that message is past tense, so implies that it was running but is no longer. 🤷‍♂️

Regardless, I don't let it bother me. :)

My phone always says the same message too "MG iSMART has been running in the background" whenever I exit the app.

Incidentally the app isn't working for me today, so I wonder if its on a downtime.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 520 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back