kWh taken during charge

iainfm

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,

I've asked a local business near mine whether they'd be amenable to me using their charger at a weekend for suitable remuneration. They've said they are, if we can work out a fair price for the charging.

Is there anything in the car that reports how many kWhours it has received during a charge, or would I have to rely on their charger to tell me that (if I can)?

I think they're fairly standard domestic chargers, so would it be a simple(ish) case of multpipying the expected output (7kW} by the number of hours on charge, assuming the car didn't reach maximum capacity in that time?

Thanks in advance,
Iain

Yes, just calculate the hours x 7.2 for a reasonable estimate. Just double check that the charger will deliver that rate first.

If in doubt, press the start button twice without your foot on the brake while charging and see how many amps are flowing. 18a at 350v is 6.3kW, which is ~ 7.2kW after charging losses.

As a rough rule of thumb 10% (in the MG5 SR) is 6kWh.

Hi,

I've asked a local business near mine whether they'd be amenable to me using their charger at a weekend for suitable remuneration. They've said they are, if we can work out a fair price for the charging.

Is there anything in the car that reports how many kWhours it has received during a charge, or would I have to rely on their charger to tell me that (if I can)?

I think they're fairly standard domestic chargers, so would it be a simple(ish) case of multpipying the expected output (7kW} by the number of hours on charge, assuming the car didn't reach maximum capacity in that time?

Thanks in advance,
Iain
Do you definitely not have possibility of charging at home or on public chargers? Sounds a bit of a hassle to do this long term?

Do you definitely not have possibility of charging at home or on public chargers? Sounds a bit of a hassle to do this long term?
Yes, I do/will. Got a charge point going in (hopefully) on the 22nd and there are free chargers in the town centre. They're getting quite popular, but more are being added.

It's just the convenience really. I work from home normally, but on Saturdays I do a shift at my pipedream (shameless plug for lennoxbrewery.com) and the place with the chargers is just at the end of the road. You may be right though...I'll see how it goes once I get the car!

Thanks for all the advice :)

Edit: I'll check what kind of charger they have next time I'm passing.

Yes, I do/will. Got a charge point going in (hopefully) on the 22nd and there are free chargers in the town centre. They're getting quite popular, but more are being added.

It's just the convenience really. I work from home normally, but on Saturdays I do a shift at my pipedream (shameless plug for lennoxbrewery.com) and the place with the chargers is just at the end of the road. You may be right though...I'll see how it goes once I get the car!

I've always meant to pop in and buy some beer from there when passing through on a day trip to Helensburgh - maybe if/when I start drinking alcohol again 🍻

When I started I was using tesco free pod points thinking g it was great getting free miles. I soon came to realise on octopus go it was dirt cheap to charge my car and for the convenience now I just charge at home all the time, 1 second to take it off the wall and a second to plug in.

I was a little smug when my friend who says it takes ages to charge had to drive to a petrol station before we set off as he had no petrol and I just unplugged from the wall and off I went.

When I started I was using tesco free pod points thinking g it was great getting free miles. I soon came to realise on octopus go it was dirt cheap to charge my car and for the convenience now I just charge at home all the time, 1 second to take it off the wall and a second to plug in.

I was a little smug when my friend who says it takes ages to charge had to drive to a petrol station before we set off as he had no petrol and I just unplugged from the wall and off I went.
I tend to use Tesco for a PodPoint charge if doing a big shop or if the parking spaces are bigger - don't tend to get much charge if just a 15 minute quick shop. I did charge on a free 7kW when out for lunch on Sunday and got 18kWh in the 2.5 hours I was parked - this type of charging seems to work out well.

I pay 18.55p per kWh for electricity - so last charge of 55% to 100% was about £4.75, but I generally use the free rapid chargers nearby and home charge once or twice a month (mileage is very low due to WFH) - and usually just from 80% to 100% at home when planning a long drive (and to balance). I'm on a fixed rate until April 2022 so cheaper gas compensates for single rate electricity.

Depending on where you live (especially with so many free Charge Place Scotland units) you could easily survive without a home charger - I have 14x 7kW AC connections within half a mile and 2x CCS Rapid - which is walkable distance. But as you say, it is very convenient having a home charger especially when cold and wet! Once charging for these CPS units comes in, might be less attractive for me although Lidl Pod Point Rapids are still only £0.26 per kWh and relatively close.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom