11kW Charge Hub only 3kW output

I have a 64kWh MG4 which has a NMC battery.(I have read that the the 51kWh model has an LFP).
Installed in my garage is a wallbox from Heidelberg. I believe it is rated at maximum 11kW. When i charge I get 9.5 kW everytime.
When he first installed it I was only getting 3.5 but he came back and made an adjustment.
In now reading the installment instuctions I see that there is a small adjustment "dial" in the box which can be adjusted. Possibly yours is similar. I would ask an experienced electrician.
Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 13.59.01.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a standard excite and an EVcharger portable 11kW through a 3ph 32A house socket and it achieves 9.9kW.
Some earlier models had the additional pins, current models apparently do not except the 77kWh equipped vehicles.

I have a 64kw MG4 which has a NMC battery.(I have red the the 51kw model has an LFP)
Installed in my garage is a wallbox from Heidelberg. I believe it is rated at maximum 11kw/hr. When i charge I get 9.5 Kw/hr everytime.
When he first installed it I was only getting 3.5 but he came back and made an adjustment.
In now reading the installment instuctions I see that there is a small adjustment "dial" in the box which can be adjusted. possibly yours is similar. I would aska an experienced electrician.
It requires a model with an on-board 3-phase charger.

European markets did get MG4s with 3-phase on-board chargers as did very early models of MG4s in the UK but many of the current model MG4s (e.g. in UK, Australia) do not. These have a single-phase on-board charger, max 6.6 kW, except for the 77 kWh NMC battery model which retained the 3-phase charger.

Hi all.
We've had a Charge Hub 11kW installed and oddly only getting 3kW when charging regardless of the battery % at the time and the temperature.
The car is set to AC Current on the charge options, I'm assuming this means allow the max current available as the other options are 8A and 16A.
The Charge Hub has been installed on 32A 400V 3 phase circuit so there should be a bit to work with.
If I hook up to the local free public charger I'm getting around 5kW so it doesn't seem like the car is limiting the charge rate.
It's hard to find any details on what type of output anyone is getting with this charger, I'd be interested to know what others are getting from their Charge Hubs. MG Australia haven't been able to help much, just told me to take the car in to check and they've told me they couldn't spot anything. The guy at the repair desk did say that 11kW was the maximum it could put out, I pointed out that 3kW was a long way off this though.

Regardless of the charging speed, how much fun are these cars to drive? The MG4 handles really well and the linear power delivery translates to the biggest sweet spot I've ever encountered.
My granny charger from a 10A socket pulls only 7A (1600 watts) maximum. I don't mind that because I get a full 63km charge overnight, at a low charge rate, which lowers the chance of a battery meltdown.

It's a HS PHEV by the way.

it is probably your cable. I have an MG5 and charge at my office which have 11kW chargers. The standard MG cable that came with the car was only giving me a 3.6kW charge as it was a single phase cable so it could only pull a third of the 3 phase 11kW charge. I bought a 3 phase cable from Amazon and bingo! I now get between 10-11kW charge.

It's not the cable ... the OP's car only has a single phase 6.6kW onboard charger. An 11kW 3-phase charge point will only deliver maximum 3.6kW per phase ... even with a 3-phase cable the OP's car will still only see a maximum of 3.6kW. ;)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back