Lane Keep Assist feature

Drove 10 miles on B class toads this morning that had been salted overnight due to freezing temps. Forgot to turn lka off and had a real white knuckle ride as car was reacting to the various lines that the drying up salt was leaving.
Anyway, just realised that before placing my order in December, i took an MG4 for two half hour test drives on mixture of A roads and twisty turny country roads. At no time did I experience lka at all. If I had, and at the dangerous level I do now, I would have questioned the salesperson and I doubt I would have placed the order. The first test drive was pre booked but for the second I turned up on spec and was just given the keys so the salesperson never had a chance to change car settings. So there must be some way that dealers have of permanently disabling it as it is would obviously put off potential buyers on a test drive.
Your not the first to write along these lines I and other have wrote the same and I’m almost certain that this as been going on like you there is no way my wife would have purchased the car if it had been like that on her test drive and as I wrote earlier in this thread when we collected the car on day one we had driven less than a mile when I stopped went into the screen and turn it off.and it’s not going back on.
Les

Last edited:
I agree with all the scary stories.

however after getting in my car startup routine of turning this off (and setting the regen to weak).
Ive spent the last week with it not switched off manually.
My view is that the lka works really well and with a gentle nudge over if you stray over a white line without indicating. this is certainly useful on motorway driving.

However it is when the Emergency part of this kicks in, the action is more violent.
This emergency part is probably more to the fact of our uk roads being full of offensive potholes and missing repairs etc, so the cameras pick these up as obstacles in the road. Also when driven in the dark, the excellent lighting creates more shadows around these road obstacles giving the cameras a larger illusion to avoid.

just my view, and experience of my great mg4

Right, well our Trophy went into the Dealer today for investigation and rectification.
Some may recall that the LKA has been switching itself back ON (including whilst the car was being driven) even after being switched OFF at the beginning of every journey.
I got the impression that they didn't really believe such a fault could exist and thought that a swift software update would solve matters.
Sure enough, a couple of hours later I received a message that the car was ready and all was good.
Collected the car and all appeared OK but an hour later it reverted back to the same problem.
Took the car back and after showing the technician in person that the warning notice was failing to appear (thereby making it impossible to turn LKA off) and that the LKA symbol remained coloured white instead of the yellow it should be if it was turned off, he concluded that the fault lies with the Infotainment screen rather than the LKA software itself.
He is to consult with MG and hopefully come up with a solution.
So the saga continues !

Remember - you have to be in READY state in order to get the Confirm prompt. (If you already are then yes - it is a fault).

Car has just come back from garage. There was a software update available for the LKA. Will monitor and report how it’s getting on! I got my MG4 trophy March 1st … so just to put it in perspective.
Hi Flying Dutchman;

I don't know whether you had a previous posting on this issue. If you did I unfortunately cannot find it !
Why was your car in the garage ? Was it a recall at the instigation of the Dealer or because you had problems and booked it in to try and get them to sort it ? If the latter, what issues did you experience and is it any better now ?
My car went in last Wednesday with LKA issues and so far I have had nothing back from the dealer.

Trophy delivered on 1st March and the LKA is so dangerous. There has been multiple occasions where the car has initiated a random swerve right or left. When the conditions are poor … that’s when it really goes bad.

Car is booked in with dealership start of April for a list of issues.
@Bacarelle This was my original post. I had some bad experiences with the Emergency Keep Assist on local countryside roads; especially when it was bumpy or irregular tarmac. The problem was much worse during poor conditions. I do have to admit where the roads were smooth and lines were clear: the system worked perfect! ... But that isn't the UK :D

I booked the MG4 trophy in with the local dealer and mentioned that the LKA was very dangerous. There was no outstanding campaigns however, there was an update for the LKA module.

I have just driven the car back in bright sunlight and smooth roads - so too early to tell! It was OK though.

I do have my LKA on LOW sensitivity as well, as that seems to be the only setting that sticks. I will update this thread over the next few days on what it's actually done.

@Bacarelle This was my original post. I had some bad experiences with the Emergency Keep Assist on local countryside roads; especially when it was bumpy or irregular tarmac. The problem was much worse during poor conditions. I do have to admit where the roads were smooth and lines were clear: the system worked perfect! ... But that isn't the UK :D

I booked the MG4 trophy in with the local dealer and mentioned that the LKA was very dangerous. There was no outstanding campaigns however, there was an update for the LKA module.

I have just driven the car back in bright sunlight and smooth roads - so too early to tell! It was OK though.

I do have my LKA on LOW sensitivity as well, as that seems to be the only setting that sticks. I will update this thread over the next few days on what it's actually done.
Flying Dutchman;
Great Feedback and I hope that the update does the trick.
However, it makes you wonder why, if one dealer has a solution, all of them don't !
Look forward to your next instalment.

Why don’t you just switch it off?
Why suffer it at all?

Why don’t you just switch it off?
Why suffer it at all?
I would happily settle for switching it off permanently.
However, as FlyingDutchman comments: I have paid for a useable system so why should I need to turn it off ?
My issue is that even if you want to turn it off (despite having selected the 'LOW' setting) it keeps on turning itself 'ON' and at that moment causes the car to swerve to the nearside.
That is unacceptable.

I've paid for a car with those features: they should work as expected. Also, I do over 20k miles a year, mainly four trips a day. Do I want to go into the settings every time and turn it off? No.

I do a lot less than that and switch it off every time.
It’s damned annoying in every car fitted with it IMO
But if you’re determined to suffer it because you’ve paid for it, go for it.

I would happily settle for switching it off permanently.
However, as FlyingDutchman comments: I have paid for a useable system so why should I need to turn it off ?
My issue is that even if you want to turn it off (despite having selected the 'LOW' setting) it keeps on turning itself 'ON' and at that moment causes the car to swerve to the nearside.
That is unacceptable.

As has been pointed out several times in this thread, if your lane assist is activating mid-journey then you haven’t switched it off properly.
Use the proper switch off procedure and it will stay off the whole journey.

As has been pointed out several times in this thread, if your lane assist is activating mid-journey then you haven’t switched it off properly.
Use the proper switch off procedure and it will stay off the whole journey.
I wish it was that simple.
I can assure you that I :
Use the proper switch off procedure
Even the Dealer recognises that the system refuses to switch off when told and is now asking MG for a solution.

I wish it was that simple.
I can assure you that I :

Even the Dealer recognises that the system refuses to switch off when told and is now asking MG for a solution.

Jeez, another MG4 issue… 😞

My OBD11 dongle that will allow me to switch lane assist off permanently in my Born arrived today 😊

It's something that plugs into the OBD11 port in a car and can be used to interrogate the car systems. If the interface for the car is known then it is possible to do certain functions (like reset fault codes, permanently turn on or off certain features, etc.)

You can buy the dongles online (e.g. eBay, Amazon). Example.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back