• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Lane Keep Assist feature

jonney

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I thought I'd post some details on LKA as I see a lot of people wondering why it's on by default, why MG wont turn it off and why some cars do turn it off permanently.
LKA is an ADAS feature made for one reason; NCAP points. The NCAP test cases are well defined scenarios that the car has to perform. There is no negative scoring for false activations (unless they occur during the scenarios) and the roads defined in the scenario are the ideal case.
You can see NCAP definitions here.
So why does it keep turning back on every power cycle? Because NCAP define that the default state for the feature is ON.
If MG change that then the vehicle would need to be recertified and would loose the points given for the feature.
Some people report that it turns off permanently, this is definitely a software error/oversight and when they get an update at service time this will be removed.

MG have this feature enabled because they are rewarded for it. Most manufacturers (especially budget) will take the minimum viable product that passes the NCAP tests.
The real failure is on NCAPs tests that are rewarding unsafe assistance features.

I work in ADAS software for another manufacturer.
Although I haven't been involved with LKA.

Last edited:
Thanks Jonney for you posting #1 I think lots here already had an idea this had something to do with NCAP ratings but the way it has been applied to the MG4 is down right dangerous to me, anyhow my wife’s car is at the dealership today for the recall on door locking the oil leak issue it is having the modified breather fitted I assume so when I took it in yesterday it went with A4 sheet of paper with a list of things that need of attention and LKA was one of them now we have been able to switch this off and it’s always stayed off up to now I will post what it is like if and when any changes are made in a day or so
Les

Thanks Jonney for you posting #1 I think lots here already had an idea this had something to do with NCAP ratings but the way it has been applied to the MG4 is down right dangerous to me, anyhow my wife’s car is at the dealership today for the recall on door locking the oil leak issue it is having the modified breather fitted I assume so when I took it in yesterday it went with A4 sheet of paper with a list of things that need of attention and LKA was one of them now we have been able to switch this off and it’s always stayed off up to now I will post what it is like if and when any changes are made in a day or so
Les
That's interesting.
I have done the exact same thing today with a written list of issues. It'd be great if dealership can disable it.

That's interesting.
I have done the exact same thing today with a written list of issues. It'd be great if dealership can disable it.
Hi jonney got the car back yesterday and was told they are not allowed to disable the LKA as we guessed it all about NCAP and I have to admit it seem better now they have update the software but it now defaults to on👹👹👹
You can still turn it off but you need to do it every time in get in the car. Maddness
Les

When I took mine in for the lock in recall I asked them to set the LKA to be off by default and originally the service department agreed. When I came to pick the car up though, the engineer said they had no way of doing it :cautious:

Anyone know another way of setting it to be turned off when the car turns on? I have an OBD2 bluetooth thingy but not sure if MG4 is supported yet.

In case any one following this thread as not seen my post in MG4 updates today thread after having the recall update for the doors not opening and locking you in the car the LKA is very much improve with the new software and now appears to work as it states in the handbook so check out MG4 updates to day and Ryanair job thread.
Les

In case any one following this thread as not seen my post in MG4 updates today thread after having the recall update for the doors not opening and locking you in the car the LKA is very much improve with the new software and now appears to work as it states in the handbook so check out MG4 updates to day and Ryanair job thread.
Les
I can second this. We have the latest software on our Trophy and LKA has activated a few times but is just a gentle alert and vibration nothing dramatic forcing us off course.

I can second this. We have the latest software on our Trophy and LKA has activated a few times but is just a gentle alert and vibration nothing dramatic forcing us off course.
That’s good to hear. Hopefully it’ll be the same on my car and I won’t need to turn it off before each drive.

I picked up my trophy yesterday (new) and i didnt really think about the LKA until i had taken it for its first drive. I have all the latest up to date software and if this is less aggressive now god knows what it was like before. Its gone off twice now and in my opinion bloody dangerous .

I picked up my trophy yesterday (new) and i didnt really think about the LKA until i had taken it for its first drive. I have all the latest up to date software and if this is less aggressive now god knows what it was like before. Its gone off twice now and in my opinion bloody dangerous .
Clearly you are getting different behaviour than we are seeing. I wonder if you got all the updates? We can't check the LKA module software version unfortunately.

What happened exactly?

I echo the above thoughts re. LKA being less aggressive. I was out in ERO today and deliberately left LKA on (although I turned off the audible alert), and I didn't find it at all intrusive. (I'm sure mine got the LKA update quite a while ago - it has a Low sensitivity option).

TJA on the other hand I do find intrusive, and much more aggressive. That's why I just use ACC.

I echo the above thoughts re. LKA being less aggressive. I was out in ERO today and deliberately left LKA on (although I turned off the audible alert), and I didn't find it at all intrusive. (I'm sure mine got the LKA update quite a while ago - it has a Low sensitivity option).

TJA on the other hand I do find intrusive, and much more aggressive. That's why I just use ACC.
How do you tell the difference between LKA and TJA? Do they behave differently?

TJA is selected from the MG Pilot menu, options are Off (or None), ACC and TJA. If TJA is selected then a steering wheel image appears near the top of the left side of the driver display (where the car shows and the lane lines). TJA is like a crude version of auto-pilot and is supposed to keep the car in the middle of the lane (as well as incorporating the ACC feature) ... however it is prone to seeing lanes which don't exist, or thinking that the slip road off is the same as the current lane, so it tries to drive down that "lane" and wrenches the wheel. :)

TJA is selected from the MG Pilot menu, options are Off (or None), ACC and TJA. If TJA is selected then a steering wheel image appears near the top of the left side of the driver display (where the car shows and the lane lines). TJA is like a crude version of auto-pilot and is supposed to keep the car in the middle of the lane (as well as incorporating the ACC feature) ... however it is prone to seeing lanes which don't exist, or thinking that the slip road off is the same as the current lane, so it tries to drive down that "lane" and wrenches the wheel. :)
Ok, thanks, think we will stick to ACC.

nearly 6 months / 6000 miles in and agree TJA is dangerous - so much so that I've never switched it back on - I just leave on ACC, which essentially does a grand job on keeping the cruise control at the appropriate speed / distance from the car infront, and then I just leave lane assist off, so the car doesn't try to steer / beep if i touch a white line. - what im not fully understanding is mine defaults to off every time i get in the car - is this the case for others, as I'm seeing default = on for some users?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 424 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back