Latest MG Cyberster spy shots

Yup, on the i8 those doors are a gimmick. And this is not a fast car, in terms of sustaining a high average speed. Yes, it will accelerate fast off the line. Top speed in only ~120mph, which is barely walking pace on an autobahn. Grand Tourers need 400-500 mile range at average 70-80mph. This won't be able to do that; maybe one or the other but not both. The target will be whether you can get from London to Tuscany in time for dinner.

Grand Tourers need a decent amount of luggage space. This won't have it.

My other car is a "poxy" MX5, which is the biggest selling sportscar of all time, after breaking the record held by the MGB. So a lot of people do like it, and it is the market MG have their eyes on. Average age on a new MX5 owner is about 60 years, so not boy racer material, and many use their cars to go touring.

MG claim this car is a continuation of the tradition embodied in the MGB (they make no mention of the MGF and TF models). So its them who are claiming this be a sportscar.

Its size is a sign of the limitations of lithium batteries. Which is why MG have been adding thick black trim around the beltline to try and tone down its mass.

And you contradict yourself; a fast grand tourer AND a weekend fun car?

Its girth means it won't fit into a standard UK single garage.

1.9 meters wide. My other car is a X350 Jag XJ8; width 1.8m. My MX5: 1.7m. At that width, in a standard garage, it goes in, but let the passenger out first. And there is no way I am even trying the Jag in there. Garage is standard UK spec, 2.4m x 4.9m. Ah, at 4.5 long, the work bench will also need to go, and a bit shuffling around this to plug it in for the night.

!
8f8e564e46bda570786c5f6bf385c714ebede5e3.jpeg
Won't fit you say? You need to build a bigger garage! Standard UK garages still seem to be stuck in the days of Austin 7's!

Although a double, my old garage wasn't large enough, so I got busy a few years back and turned it into a 10m x 6m. 😛

My US friends still think it's too small!

Garage3e.jpg

I apologize for calling the MX5 poxy, I know they're an accomplished car, liked by lots of people, they're just not to my taste.

Last edited:
Very nice :cool:
If I were doing the job from scratch I'd be tempted to go two stories and put in a lift.
The scale is deceptive, it's really about 1.5 stories already. I was limited by planning to a maximum of 4 metres at the peak. There is actually now a 4 post in the left bay! The roof trusses were designed to maximise the lift height for a car to be lifted into the roof area high enough to work beneath, or I can double stack 2 cars for storage. :)

IMG_20180716_134138.jpg

Under construction.

IMG_20191009_132105.jpg

I think it looks fantastic. You can cleary see the influence of previous MG EVs as well as more than a nod to the older Abingdon marks. If you have seen it Miles might it be at any of the Fully Charged Shows this month and next?
By the way glad to know you are feeling better, chest infections are not very pleasent.

I think it looks fantastic. You can cleary see the influence of previous MG EVs as well as more than a nod to the older Abingdon marks. If you have seen it Miles might it be at any of the Fully Charged Shows this month and next?
By the way glad to know you are feeling better, chest infections are not very pleasent.
I don't know if they'll have it at FCL. The one I have seen in the UK is a non-driving full sized clay model with a load of fibreglass, but that was in January, so they might have something better by now.

It's a bit late to throw the prototype onto a 6-week voyage by ship now. FCL South is in less than 2 weeks.
They'd have to air freight it, and wait until the end of the Shanghai motor show first.

Looks great and I like the fact that it is bigger than the MX5, we've had one before and it was just too small and cramped inside to be practical or comfortable except as a weekend car.

I don't expect it to rival the MX5 for handling due to the size/weight but hopefully it will be fun enough and I couldn't care less about top speed, never drive over 80 anyway.

Probably won't get one because no really need for a second car and I couldn't justify it but if we did want another car I would try it.

Launch video:

Ripped off the MX5 ND launch theme music, though with a CGI car.

I predict those who found the MX5 to be crampt inside and lacking luggage space will find this car to be worse. This car will be bigger externally, but its the same size inside.

Try this, which I previously posted to the "More pictures" thread

Chinese price of 300,000 yuan, £34,000. Of course that won't be the export price.

Base MG Mulan (Fashion trim level) is 129,800 Yuan, which is about £14,900. 40% cheaper than the UK. So £54k for this, really? a 1.8 tonne "sportscar" with the interior space of a MX5. The information in the piece about the motors isn't really new, except for the unsurprising news they are made by SAIC-owned entities. This supposed pricing in the piece isn't really relevant to export markets, given that MG will be laughed out of the park if they applied a £54k pricetag, more money than a 718 Boxster, Mustang V8, Alpine A110. The track videos say enough; the thing has no grip (there is footage of a test driver approaching a corner very gingerly).

So export price remains unknown.

Last edited:
In the last Podcast, Miles said the base Cyberster model price in UK rumoured to start with a '4' and top model with a '5', they want to disrupt so low 4s expected.

MG claims it will be the world’s first “affordable” EV roadster, dramatically undercutting existing electric performance cars with a two-model structure likely to begin around £55,000 for a rear-wheel-drive 309bhp version and stretching to around £65,000 for a four-wheel-drive, twin-motor version with 536bhp.

An Autocar guess similar to my guess

A gimmick to distract from the fact this is no sports car.

Its the same weight as an American pickup, and only two seats.

The door arrangement seems moronic. That's 50lbs they could have saved right there.

But MG isn't a sports car maker. They are fooling people into thinking they are. A Sports Car maker would have made sure the lambo door never saw the light of day.

Mazda did a way better job with the MX5, with their gram strategy (straight from the Colin Chapman rule book). I suspect the MG, rather than being a breakthrough car for China, will merely confirm the Chinese can't actually design a decent car at the moment. Learn to walk before you run.
I’d be amused as to what car you actually drive and the cars you have driven, you don’t sound very experienced. All EVs weigh more than ICE cars. I guess you see your role on here is to slag off MG, but I think most people on here are ignoring you as they should.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom