LED bulbs for MG ZS EV headlights

So just got these bulbs and plugged them in and they don't come on.... Anyone got any ideas?
Hi Gary,

If you look at the plug it is marked + and -, you may have it the wrong way around.

Being LED Bulbs, these only work one way, even though the plug will let you connect either way, I made that mistake with the first bulb I fitted.

Hope this helps.

Andy (Blackpool)

Hi Gary,

If you look at the plug it is marked + and -, you may have it the wrong way around.

Being LED Bulbs, these only work one way, even though the plug will let you connect either way, I made that mistake with the first bulb I fitted.

Hope this helps.

Andy (Blackpool)
Feel like a right dope 😂 I plugged them in the way the clip was... It has a raised part where it holds the std light in.... Both sides snapped when I was taking the old bulbs out... Probably because of the cold weather 🙄

Feel like a right dope 😂 I plugged them in the way the clip was... It has a raised part where it holds the std light in.... Both sides snapped when I was taking the old bulbs out... Probably because of the cold weather 🙄
Hi Gary, those clips are so fragile, I think all of us including myself have broken them its so easy to do.

hope they work ok now.

Andy (Blackpool)

Me too and I can’t see them coming unplugged while tucked up in the back of the light unit.

Hi Gary,

On this thread, Jeps (Member) quoted he managed to get some Novosight LED Bulbs that are 1500 lumens and even brighter.

But you won't be disappointed with the Nighteye, which are from the same Chinese Manufacturer, just a different brand name.

As I previously posted on here, the Nighteye Brand Name is currently being re-branded as Novosight, but there are various levels of the bulbs, some offering higher brightness output, but these are mainly for "Off Roading Use", rally cars etc.

I have not had any problems of other road users flashing me to say my headights are too bright or dazzling an oncoming driver, but not sure if 1500 Lumens was too bright on the normal road.

Technically it should be mentioned that you are suppose to have "Self Levelling Headlamps" to be able to fit LED Bulbs, which of course the ZS EV doesn't have these at the moment, but you can manually adjust the headlamp levelling at anytime if you are carrying extra weight in the vehicle with the control to the bottom right of the driver on the dash.

But under normal circumstance, they haven't caused a problem for me.

Andy

View attachment 1009

Have also posted in another thread on lights and rear lights as there is mention of legality.

See the attached link and note which might throw some "light" on the subject 🧐 🚙

Can LED Bulbs Still Pass An MOT?​

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Changed mine yesterday for a cheapo set that I won’t link to yet since I’ve got no idea how good they are yet. Installation was simple enough - managed to avoid breaking the clips on the connectors too which seems like a win :D

Haven’t properly tested them at night yet, time will tell how good they actually are.

Attachments

• PXL_20201218_182344575.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20201218_182344575.NIGHT.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 200
  • PXL_20201218_182353255.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20201218_182353255.NIGHT.jpg
    655.3 KB · Views: 206
Really basic question I am struggling with here. It seems that the MG uses one bulb for both high beam and low beam, while other cars have a separate low beam bulb and a separate high beam bulb. Does that mean we need to get a dual beam LED bulb (which I cannot seem to find in an HB3 version)? All the above LED bulbs that you mention only seem to be one type (high or low) and not dual beam. How does that work with the MG? Do you have low and high beam capability? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Really basic question I am struggling with here. It seems that the MG uses one bulb for both high beam and low beam, while other cars have a separate low beam bulb and a separate high beam bulb. Does that mean we need to get a dual beam LED bulb (which I cannot seem to find in an HB3 version)? All the above LED bulbs that you mention only seem to be one type (high or low) and not dual beam. How does that work with the MG? Do you have low and high beam capability? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.
Use these NIGHTEYE 72W HB3 9005 COB LED Headlight Kit Lamp Bulbs 72W 9000LM 6500K White UK | eBay

The MG5 has a single beam projector headlight - there's a shutter in the unit activated by the dip which cuts off part of the beam. You definitely need a HB3 / 9005. I went for the Koyoso ones linked somewhere on here; excellent and worth the price.

I tried to fit my bulbs today - without success. I removed the caps easily enough, although they were tight, but I couldn’t get enough leverage to get the bulbs out. I’ll try again when I’ve had a couple of weetabix. I noticed that there was a silica gel bag inside - as some of you reported. Also, the caps were much more dirty than I would have expected, road dirt/grit. Hey ho. 🤔

Yes, there are 2 types of headlights that are used on cars, reflector and projector. The MG uses the one that only uses one bulb HB3/9005 (can't remember the name though) So it is fairly easy to deal with:)

Hi guys. First post here. Does anyone know if the same bulbs will fit a MG 5 that I have ordered ? Also will the dealer fix them for me as someone mentioned dubious legality. Thanks.
They are the same. I changed mine and they are much better. I doubt you will get the dealer to fit them but they are quite easy. I changed the bulbs similarly on my Kia Ceed SW but they were far more difficult to do, mainly due to lack of space. The MG5 is much better in this regard

I tried to fit my bulbs today - without success. I removed the caps easily enough, although they were tight, but I couldn’t get enough leverage to get the bulbs out. I’ll try again when I’ve had a couple of weetabix. I noticed that there was a silica gel bag inside - as some of you reported. Also, the caps were much more dirty than I would have expected, road dirt/grit. Hey ho. 🤔
It quite tricky as there are 2 tabs you need to pry before you can pull the connector apart. Managed to break one of the tabs but was PITA. I previously said that i will post a photo of it fitted but realised you cannot see the led bulbs from the outside once you they are fitted. :ROFLMAO: At least they are not identifiable as LED after fitting.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom