Led rear indicator and reverse lamps

I have the LEDs bought but not got round to doing it yet. I fear canbus errors appearing as soon as I use them and have to reverse the process putting back the halogens :(

Some clear before and after shots or even videos of them working would be great!
I dont think they have any canbus bulb out warnings . i had one of the indicator leds drop out into the lamp unit and it didnt show any warnings on the dash. I only noticed when i locked the car and saw one of the indicators wasnt working.

I dont think they have any canbus bulb out warnings . i had one of the indicator leds drop out into the lamp unit and it didnt show any warnings on the dash. I only noticed when i locked the car and saw one of the indicators wasnt working.
It only happens when you try to use it. I replaced the indicators with Philips leds on my Merc and the indicator flashed as expected a couple of times and then started rapid flashing with an error on the screen saying "replace right indicator lamp".

You had to install these canbus adaptors to prevent this error from happening, which is why I'm nervous of just swapping out the bulb.
1684053636324.png

I had been using it. I've used resistors before soldererd across the fitting to add extra load and 100 per cent I had no errors or rapid flashing which I have seen on my old VAG cars.plus I've been running the bulbs since I started the post and have had no bulb out warnings or rapid flashing. Go with resistors if you like but I wouldn't waste my money.

Last edited:
Cheers for sharing bulb information in original post AdyC. I won't be worrying about all the other stuff, as I'm sure the MOT person won't give a stuff as long as they are working. I was more worried about canbus error, but if AdyC says it's okay, then I don't see any reason not to upgrade.

I've just fitted led reverse lamps and indicators 10 minutes a side each and a huge difference over the stock lamps . ive always hated the yellow look of the reverse lamps and light output is non exsistent. Stock indicators arent very bright either and the new ones twice the light output. I thought i had taken a before and after but i messed up.
First job is to use a craft knife to ping off the bolt covers then undo the 2 x 10mm bolts below each cover and slide the entire light assembly out. Disconnect the wiring plug by a minimum amount of downward pressure on the locking tab then the entire unit lifts away.
I used a magnetic socket end as the bolt is recessed and if it falls down it will end up in the bumper however a couple of bangs underneath on the under tray and out it rolls if this happens
Both lamps come out with a quarter turn . Refit reverse of removal easy job.

Amazon product ASIN B08QN1R78F
Amazon product ASIN B0B7RHKWS2
Just fitted LED indicators to mine (the one's from AdyC link). I can report no canbus issues and they look great.

Last edited:
I've just fitted led reverse lamps and indicators 10 minutes a side each and a huge difference over the stock lamps . ive always hated the yellow look of the reverse lamps and light output is non exsistent. Stock indicators arent very bright either and the new ones twice the light output. I thought i had taken a before and after but i messed up.
First job is to use a craft knife to ping off the bolt covers then undo the 2 x 10mm bolts below each cover and slide the entire light assembly out. Disconnect the wiring plug by a minimum amount of downward pressure on the locking tab then the entire unit lifts away.
I used a magnetic socket end as the bolt is recessed and if it falls down it will end up in the bumper however a couple of bangs underneath on the under tray and out it rolls if this happens
Both lamps come out with a quarter turn . Refit reverse of removal easy job.

Amazon product ASIN B08QN1R78F
Amazon product ASIN B0B7RHKWS2
Thankyou. Just used your post to order my LED replacements 👍

Hi everyone, from Australia, just got my 51 excite (your se sr) I switched out the halogens turn signals for LED, the LED seem to suggest it doesn’t cause hyperflash. And indeed it doesn’t 95% of the time, however randomly it will do it. I believe once the mg4 powers off and on, it’s back to normal. Anyone experienced this? Or have recommendations which bulb? Our manual lists WY21W 21W.

The indicators may be more susceptible to CANBus issues I guess. IMO they are bright enough as is.

The reversing lights however .... 😬 (I'll get around to changing these at some point).

PS - 21W means 21 Watt (as I'm sure you've determined).

The indicators may be more susceptible to CANBus issues I guess. IMO they are bright enough as is.

The reversing lights however .... 😬 (I'll get around to changing these at some point).

PS - 21W means 21 Watt (as I'm sure you've determined).
Yes 21watt I’m guessing many LED don’t reach that. But weird it’s fine mostly, hyperflashes at random times. I guess the current is not stable with the ones I bought. I’m trying another set off aliexpress. Interestingly enough, our version has LED reverse light. Why didn’t they go all LED 🙃

New cars utilise a Pulse Width Modulation technique now.
It allows one bulb to be a light and brake light all in one, yet with one filament to light. Altering the duty cycle frequency alters the perception of brightness.

Using let's I'd say are better because less current is required and they have a longer service life.

Attachments

• Notes_231022_144653.jpg
    Notes_231022_144653.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 58
Yes 21watt I’m guessing many LED don’t reach that. But weird it’s fine mostly, hyperflashes at random times. I guess the current is not stable with the ones I bought. I’m trying another set off aliexpress. Interestingly enough, our version has LED reverse light. Why didn’t they go all LED 🙃
Could you please post the Brand/Model/Spec of your factory reverse led bulb if there's anything printed on it? Surely that would be the one to retrofit. Thanks.

Money.

I finally got round to replacing the reversing light bulbs with LEDs. A couple of tips for those who are considering doing this.
Take a note of which way up the blanking covers are orientated and when refitting insert the top in first.
If you haven't got a magnetic 10mm socket a bit of Blue-tak in the socket will help to stop the bolt disappearing into the depths of the rear bumper.
The rear light cluster slides backward and a little wriggling will help release it.
You don't have to undo the main electrical connector to the light cluster.

Fingers crossed they work as I will have to wait until it gets dark to find out but at least I haven't got a bulb failure warning on the dash when I engage reverse.

I finally got round to replacing the reversing light bulbs with LEDs. A couple of tips for those who are considering doing this.
Take a note of which way up the blanking covers are orientated and when refitting insert the top in first.
If you haven't got a magnetic 10mm socket a bit of Blue-tak in the socket will help to stop the bolt disappearing into the depths of the rear bumper.
The rear light cluster slides backward and a little wriggling will help release it.
You don't have to undo the main electrical connector to the light cluster.

Fingers crossed they work as I will have to wait until it gets dark to find out but at least I haven't got a bulb failure warning on the dash when I engage reverse.

What took you soo long Ian? 🤣
I fitted mine as soon as they arrived.
I've done the indicators and reverse lights.

Very pleased with them.
They definitely are a marked improvement on stock.

Although I think the indicators must sear people's retinas at night!

Like you've said, a bit O blu-tack to save lost fittings, and I had a glamorous assistant (OK, OK, The Wife) to hold the clusters while I fitted the bulbs, which also meant I could check that they worked before refitting. 👍

Do you not have someone who can stand behind the car and let you know if they come on?
No one is brave enough 🤣

I live on my own apart from a couple of greyhounds and I never believe anything they say 😁

Put your phone recording behind the car and then jump in and try them
Good idea. Just confirmed my neighbours suspicions about my sanity by propping my phone up on he wheely bin and reversing towards it. Good news is that the reversing lights work.

What took you soo long Ian? 🤣
I intended to fit them quicker but it didn't become a priority until the nights got darker then with having a complete new central heating system, full double glazing and a total gutting and rebuild of the bathroom life happened and time passed 😁

The The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 is based on old technology and doesn’t account for newer technologies like LED’s. The regulations are not in-line with current MOT testing guidelines and creates a confusing message for people looking to purchase these products."
'LED's' o_O

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom