Led rear indicator and reverse lamps

I'd like to upgrade the reversing lights which I find very poor. Can someone clarify which of the two Amazon linked bulbs in the first post are for the reversing lights? Ta!

I've just fitted led reverse lamps and indicators 10 minutes a side each and a huge difference over the stock lamps ...

Amazon product ASIN B08QN1R78F
Amazon product ASIN B0B7RHKWS2

Firstly, thanks to @AdyC for the original posting and sharing information and photos.

I've now fitted the linked LED reversing light and it's working well.

Unfortunately Amazon have delisted the compatible replacement AdyC links to for the indicator - but particularly unhelpfully they bring up the same item but with a different connector without any notification, and this unsurprisingly doesn't fit. Sadly I didn't spot this until I came to fitting them, so just thought I'd share my woes to hopefully save someone else making the same mistake.

I've just ordered these and will report back once installed to confirm if they are a viable alternative: ASIN: B099JXHGSG.
Amazon product ASIN B099JXHGSG
To be clear, you need W21W (white) for the reversing light and WY21W (amber) for indicator light, as shown on the back of the light housing. W21W is also known as 582, and also T20 or 7440. WY21W (aka 585) is just an amber W21W (582).

20231217_164210.jpg

Firstly, thanks to @AdyC for the original posting and sharing information and photos.

Unfortunately Amazon have delisted the compatible replacement AdyC links to for the indicator - but particularly unhelpfully they bring up the same item but with a different connector without any notification, and this unsurprisingly doesn't fit. Sadly I didn't spot this until I came to fitting them, so just thought I'd share my woes to hopefully save someone else making the same mistake.

I've just ordered these and will report back once installed to confirm if they are a viable alternative: ASIN: B099JXHGSG.
To be clear, you need W21W (white) for the reversing light and WY21W (amber) for indicator light, as shown on the back of the light housing. W21W is also known as 582, and also T20 or 7440. WY21W (aka 585) is just an amber W21W (582).

View attachment 22255
Lol I was just about to post the same thing as I just got my bulb an hour ago and excitedly try to fit it to the car.

The reverse bulb fits perfectly and now I have to try and replace the indicator lights to the right connector.

Just following up to confirm the alternative indicator LEDs which I linked to previously have now been installed and I'm pleased to report they work well.

They fill the light housing evenly, are suitably bright (but not dazzling) and present no errors on the dash even after several days and multiple long drives.

IMO they make the car look more modern and premium now, but each to their own.

Happy holidays! 🎄🎅

Could you please elaborate on how a set of led bulbs behind plastic lenses makes the car look more modern?
I meant when the indicators are in use, obviously not when they are off!

When LEDs flash they turn on and off instantly, unlike a traditional bulb glow which ramps up as it warms up and then down as it cools.

The first 10 seconds of this video shows what I mean...

I my opinion, not having an instant on/off indicator makes a car look dated. Other people are welcome to their own opinions!

Just following up to confirm the alternative indicator LEDs which I linked to previously have now been installed and I'm pleased to report they work well.

They fill the light housing evenly, are suitably bright (but not dazzling) and present no errors on the dash even after several days and multiple long drives.

IMO they make the car look more modern and premium now, but each to their own.

Happy holidays! 🎄🎅
I wish somebody knew how to replace the reversing useless bulbs on my PIEV TROPHY without having to remove the whole rear bumper! As is suggested in the hand book. Makes a minor job into an expensive dealer visit just to change a bulb! Another bad design aimed at keeping dealers busy. Led. Ulna cost less than £20 on Amazon god knows how much the fitting would be?

I wish somebody knew how to replace the reversing useless bulbs on my PIEV TROPHY without having to remove the whole rear bumper! As is suggested in the hand book.
Siteguru just made me aware that I have replied to a post that was not about MG4, so my text has been deleted.

I meant when the indicators are in use, obviously not when they are off!

When LEDs flash they turn on and off instantly, unlike a traditional bulb glow which ramps up as it warms up and then down as it cools.

I my opinion, not having an instant on/off indicator makes a car look dated. Other people are welcome to their own opinions!
I disagree in the looks department (depending on the car), but agree that LED is a better option in terms of safety (definitely better visibility). Unfortunately, that's true in both departments on the MG4 (and many others) as I'm thinking the rear indicators could do with better visibility in bright daylight.

Last edited:
??? All that is needed is a 10mm hex head (magnetic is recomended) with ratchet to remove the 2 bolts pr light. Something to pray off the dust/water cover over the boltsirkel first is also needed.
The post you've replied to is for someone with an HS PHEV, not an MG4.

If you want to check the reverse lamps and their light pattern, turn the car on (Ready) and move to the passenger seat (go out of the car to change side and close the driver door). Put your foot over and press the brake pedal, put the car in to reverse and activate the e/parking brake. No you can leave the car with the car in reverse and on e/parking brake. Enjoy. 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just fitted led reverse lamps and indicators 10 minutes a side each and a huge difference over the stock lamps . ive always hated the yellow look of the reverse lamps and light output is non exsistent. Stock indicators arent very bright either and the new ones twice the light output. I thought i had taken a before and after but i messed up.
First job is to use a craft knife to ping off the bolt covers then undo the 2 x 10mm bolts below each cover and slide the entire light assembly out. Disconnect the wiring plug by a minimum amount of downward pressure on the locking tab then the entire unit lifts away.
I used a magnetic socket end as the bolt is recessed and if it falls down it will end up in the bumper however a couple of bangs underneath on the under tray and out it rolls if this happens
Both lamps come out with a quarter turn . Refit reverse of removal easy job.

Amazon product ASIN B08QN1R78F
Amazon product ASIN B0B7RHKWS2
when you say, "a couple of bangs underneath on the under tray and out it rolls" - can you give a bit more detail - not very technical here.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom