Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Just spoke to dealer who are investigating with a set of 10 questions from Mguk.so they must know about this issue.garage have been great and sympathetic with the issue and agree it is a big issue.but they are the middle men and it’s upto mg.I stayed to garage about rejecting car which they said is a no until they have investigated said issues.I am awaiting a response further tommorow.like I say the garage have been great in looking into my issues but I still can’t take the car back if the invalid key issue hasn’t been solved as it is a serious safety issue
It is fair to give them a chance to resolve the issue. However, unless there’s an effective workaround (like moving out of the driver’s seat), I doubt they’ll be able to diagnose and change anything quickly, sounds like a software bug and that would take time to pinpoint, code a fix and then update the relevant module in each car.

So I think the crucial thing to press for is a way to open the car if this happens again that does not involve climbing out of the boot or having a second external key.

It is fair to give them a chance to resolve the issue. However, unless there’s an effective workaround (like moving out of the driver’s seat), I doubt they’ll be able to diagnose and change anything quickly, sounds like a software bug and that would take time to pinpoint, code a fix and then update the relevant module in each car.

So I think the crucial thing to press for is a way to open the car if this happens again that does not involve climbing out of the boot or having a second external key.
If you moving from the driver's seat does work unless required by thatcham I imagine they'd disable the driver's sensor pad if an invalid key is detected.

If you moving from the driver's seat does work unless required by thatcham I imagine they'd disable the driver's sensor pad if an invalid key is detected.
That would be better. People with mobility issues will struggle to move seats inside a locked car, especially if the passenger seat is occupied.

I will give them chance to resolve but won’t be fast and my wife now won’t drive the car due to fear it happening again.

Yes, made no difference. It is not the key that is the issue as spare keys have been tried to no effect...I know its a long thread but its all in there somewhere

Key -no
Key in sweet spot - no
Spare key - no
App - no
Interior handles- no
Transit mode - no
Open windows - no
Bluetooth - probably a no but not seen confirmation yet

Escape through boot - yes
Physical key in exterior emergency lock - yes
Move from drivers seat and try fob - a possibility awaiting confirmation
Bonnet opening - unsure
Disconnect/reconnect 12v battery - unconfirmed

Have I missed anything?
Only thing I would say is the solution of moving out of the drive seat they had also unlatched the bonnet. It could be one the other or a combination that is the solution to enable the key.

Only thing I would say is the solution of moving out of the drive seat they had also unlatched the bonnet. It could be one the other or a combination that is the solution to enable the key.
The aa guy asked me to pop the bonnet that didn’t work and also I was out the seat while in the boot unlocking it that didn’t work the key as I tried while in the boot.not sure if this can be replicated by opening car and leaving the key behind and setting off not sure if anybody has tried this or a garage to see if they get the same issue/error

To confirm, you were out of the drivers seat in the boot area and attempted again to use the key fob to no avail...still locked in

Has anybody started the car, handed the keys over to someone external to the car before moving off keyless to check the outcome? Be a good experiment even if it was just around the corner distance wise....

Last edited:
To confirm, you were out of the drivers seat in the boot area and attempted again to use the key fob to no avail...still locked in

Has anybody started the car, handed the keys over to someone external to the car before moving off keyless to check the outcome? Be a good experiment even if it was just around the corner distance wise....
Yes correct as I was trying to find the blue hole in boot I retried the key to unlock that didn’t work as my partner was in passenger seat trying to get out so exited out the boot

I have not tried it as my vehicle is now in the garage for investigation but it would be a good experiment if it can be replicated.and then try different scenarios I presume this is what mg will be trying to do but that is a wild guess.I was asked 10 questions on how it happened by mg so they are investigating this

Yes correct as I was trying to find the blue hole in boot I retried the key to unlock that didn’t work as my partner was in passenger seat trying to get out so exited out the boot

I have not tried it as my vehicle is now in the garage for investigation but it would be a good experiment if it can be replicated.and then try different scenarios I presume this is what mg will be trying to do but that is a wild guess.I was asked 10 questions on how it happened by mg so they are investigating this
I’m not surprised your wife doesn’t want to get back in the car again after that experience. I really hope this gets fixed soon as it’s a very serious issue.

Understood. I was/am still trying to figure out the logic of a Thatcham anti-theft and the car seat to be honest. Seat belt alert...yes...key not recognised deadlock no, unless bottom in seat is designed as part of Thatcham. This is the bit that I cannot figure out. Why would Thatcham place the seat into the system?

Its Thatcham immobilised to prevent entry and theft and if the thief is in the drivers seat it makes no odds as the car is power dead without the key in some form irrespective of someone's rear end in the drivers seat or not?

Can anyone think of a logical explanation for the seat to be involved? That is not to say the wonderful MG4 software might think differently but just putting it out there for ideas why the seat may play a part that I can't see?

Last edited:
My wife is a nurse on end of life care and needs a reliable car to visit patients she will no longer use this car in its current state.if she got locked in the car visiting a patient who was dieing it is not fit for purpose nor safe.I have give them the vehicle to repair but they said it will be a while which I don’t have time for it to be a while.and can you fully trust the car after all the issues oil leak auto hold break car locking software issues lane keep assist is also dangerous it’s an endless list of faults

My wife is a nurse on end of life care and needs a reliable car to visit patients she will no longer use this car in its current state.if she got locked in the car visiting a patient who was dieing it is not fit for purpose nor safe.I have give them the vehicle to repair but they said it will be a while which I don’t have time for it to be a while.and can you fully trust the car after all the issues oil leak auto hold break car locking software issues lane keep assist is also dangerous it’s an endless list of faults
I know you have thought about rejecting your car, with what has happened I think you would be on a sound footing to justify doing that.
MG don't have a clue what's causing it, and as has been said this is a serious safety issue

I know your dealer is trying to sort it out with the "help" of MG but I'd ring MG customer services (01217 564864) and tell them your situation and exactly what happened and ask what are they going to do about it.

I don’t have an mg4 (yet) but out of interest has anyone tried locking the car before unlocking it. If you press the lock key with the drivers seat unoccupied it might reset everything (locking it when the drivers seat is occupied may be disabled by the software).

Just a thought.

I don’t have an mg4 (yet) but out of interest has anyone tried locking the car before unlocking it. If you press the lock key with the drivers seat unoccupied it might reset everything (locking it when the drivers seat is occupied may be disabled by the software).

Just a thought.
So when locked in jump out of the drivers seat, press lock then unlock to see if that clears the error? No harm in someone trying it, that is if they read this forum and get this suggestion

I am still trying to figure out what part if any the seat plays in the deadlock scenario but with this car🤷‍♂️

I'm not sure on the logic as to why opening.tge bonnet or exiting the drivers seat would be added to the security system.
That said I also don't understand why the security system would disable the key. I know people have previously said the key isn't likely to be the issue more likely the receiver or similar. So the one thing I was thinking is would some of these triggers flip the receiving module into a different state to recognise the key again.

The one thing is I'm not sure how easy / relevant reproducing the fault with a key out of the car is. This issue seems to be in a car module not recognising the key.
That said options that don't use the key itself and allow exist bypassing the intruder protection are relevant as a workaround.

I'm not sure on the logic as to why opening.tge bonnet or exiting the drivers seat would be added to the security system.
That said I also don't understand why the security system would disable the key. I know people have previously said the key isn't likely to be the issue more likely the receiver or similar. So the one thing I was thinking is would some of these triggers flip the receiving module into a different state to recognise the key again.
I could possibly get the bonnet with anti tamper sensor tbh but still floundering with the seat logic...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back