Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

So when locked in jump out of the drivers seat, press lock then unlock to see if that clears the error? No harm in someone trying it, that is if they read this forum and get this suggestion

I am still trying to figure out what part if any the seat plays in the deadlock scenario but with this car🤷‍♂️
Does the seat have a sensor in when you “turn on” the car perhaps given it doesn’t have a button for this.

I get that possible part...re start process but why link it in with Thatcham deadlock is my conundrum. The car is already unlocked with disabled immobilisation at that stage so why involve that sensor in that process. I am not disagreeing just asking why?

When you open the car and sit in the passenger seat instead of driving seat does the car go into a ready state?

Last edited:
I get that possible part...re start process but why link it in with Thatcham deadlock is my conundrum. The car is already unlocked with disabled immobilisation at that stage so why involve that sensor in that process. I am not disagreeing just asking why?
I don't get the logic of why this would be part of this either.

Just TESTED getting in with the key (window open just incase).
Remove the key from the car once ready. Drive down the road, car displays a couple of messages
PXL_20221206_214646652~3.jpg

PXL_20221206_214640104~3.jpg

Drove up the road turned around switching between forward and reverse ok no issues, messages popping up occasionally.
Parked back up as soon as the key way back with the car all back to normal.

The message people have reported is invalid key, if that's the actual message or part of it this is different to the key not being present I received.

Last edited:
Thanks, so you can't open the drivers door and reach in with you leg to press the brake pedal to go to ready state, your bottom has to be in the seat? Just to nail it...

Thanks, so you can't open the drivers door and reach in with you leg to press the brake pedal to go to ready state, your bottom has to be in the seat? Just to nail it...
Correct there is a sensor in the seat that has to be active i.e you're sat in it at the point you press the Brake pedal to go to ready.

Thanks, so I have learned a couple of things. The drivers seat is involved in the start system. As for alarm system everything I read about Thatcham type 1 does not involve a seat pressure sensor but?
Without the key in the car you can drive but you do not get the invalid key error. That to me means the key and receiver must chatter and are not matching, even when the spare is brought to the scene.....points to car issue

All this re seat sensor maybe for nothing anyway given Mars6394 tried the key when out of the seat to no avail and the bonnet was opened by the AA with no success either but thanks for the info and learning

Yep that's about it.

The seat suggestion comes from the post from @Gench who seems to have had this a few times.
I've had this problem with my MG4 and even drove 3 miles to my dealer with the usual invalid key and pulled up while being locked in the car. It drove fine the whole way. Stopping, starting, accelerating. Everything was fine.

Their tech had me pop the bonnet and try unlocking the car while out of the drivers seat and it worked first time so I'll be trying that if it ever happens again.

They couldn't find anything wrong but are chasing MG up about it.
Time will tell if this can be made to work when the invalid key is shown.
I don't get why it didn't work for @Mars6394 was the bonnet fully open isn his case and was there a significant delay in the time between the 2 events (bonnet open and out of the seat)
It's a mystery still ultimately, the boot is the only solid fully proven option.
As.the bonnet opens a manual key could be secreted there as I have previously suggested for people that have had the issue should they want a fallback, and not just leave the car with MG until it's resolved, who knows when.

EDIT @Gench had you put the car in park or hand brake on, no wondering if anything/what was different?

Last edited:
Ian, the spare key doesn't work either...
But is that because the car has gone into anti-theft mode due to a problem with the key's battery or bad connection in the key fob and the only way to disarm the anti-theft is by using a physical key?

That would explain why the spare key doesn't work because if the car thieves were using a signal booster to get into the car and it locks itself it stops them using it again to regain control of the car.

If it was a bad contact within the key fob moving around would remake the connection allowing the key to work once the car's anti-theft had been disabled by using a physical key.

Ian, anything is possible. If they are using common components from other models, including keys, in the anti-theft system you would have thought it would have raised its head on other forums especially if it was key battery related.
It seems to be MG4 only so what's different?

Ian, anything is possible. If they are using common components from other models, including keys, in the anti-theft system you would have thought it would have raised its head on other forums especially if it was key battery related.
It seems to be MG4 only so what's different?
The unique thing about the MG4 is all the past smart key based cars required a button to be pushed to start.

It could be based on the seat pad having a poor contact and on make or break of the circuit in the seat revalidating the key, where as on push button it would only validate at startup

The unique thing about the MG4 is all the past smart key based cars required a button to be pushed to start.

It could be based on the seat pad having a poor contact and on make or break of the circuit in the seat revalidating the key, where as on push button it would only validate at startup
I think @Jester27 rejected a couple of cars - one of the reasons being something protruding in the seat. I wonder if this was the sensor we are talking about?

Unrelated but something to note ... sit in the driver's seat and press the brake pedal and the car goes to the READY state. However you can't then drive forward unless you have your seat belt on. (Reverse is OK). :)

I think @Jester27 rejected a couple of cars - one of the reasons being something protruding in the seat. I wonder if this was the sensor we are talking about?
No - the seat sensor is more of a weight pad. Someone else suggested it was to do with some fixings/wiring under the seat which had been pushed too far in.

Siteguru, you should be able to move forward if you manually release without the seat belt on. That is how my current car works so be interesting to see if the MG4 is the same?

Just had a thought I wonder if MG use a system similar to VAG where each key has a random code generator built in and the car knows the predicted sequence, so each time the key validates it produces a new code based in the predetermined algorithm.

If the key is constantly being polled for revalidation it could be the key can't produce the code quick enough so the car thinks it's an invalid key and locks out, doesn't explain why the spare doesn't work mind.

Siteguru, you should be able to move forward if you manually release without the seat belt on. That is how my current car works so be interesting to see if the MG4 is the same?
You mean foot on brake then press forward on the handbrake switch? Maybe - I haven't tried that.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back