Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

When it happened to me I pulled over and stopped the car wouldn’t work from the drive selector nor handbreak or windows doors etc locked in I presume it would let you drive until you can pull over into a safe place

I've had this problem with my MG4 and even drove 3 miles to my dealer with the usual invalid key and pulled up while being locked in the car. It drove fine the whole way. Stopping, starting, accelerating. Everything was fine.

Their tech had me pop the bonnet and try unlocking the car while out of the drivers seat and it worked first time so I'll be trying that if it ever happens again.

They couldn't find anything wrong but are chasing MG up about it.

I've had this problem with my MG4 and even drove 3 miles to my dealer with the usual invalid key and pulled up while being locked in the car. It drove fine the whole way. Stopping, starting, accelerating. Everything was fine.

Their tech had me pop the bonnet and try unlocking the car while out of the drivers seat and it worked first time so I'll be trying that if it ever happens again.

They couldn't find anything wrong but are chasing MG up about it.
So if you pop the bonnet and move over to the passenger seat the key works?
Did he do anything under the bonnet?

My aa guy popped the bonnet alarm went off I had to get out through the boot and unlock the side door with key to power up the car again.

I thinks it was leaving the drivers seat that did it more than the bonnet as he hadn't lifted the bonnet when the key worked. I just unlocked the car and opened the door.

I thinks it was leaving the drivers seat that did it more than the bonnet as he hadn't lifted the bonnet when the key worked. I just unlocked the car and opened the door.
Did your phone app warn you of a invasion and the alarm sounding.the phone app was useless other than the vehicle location.

Interesting, when you say the key worked, what key ? Did you unlock with the remote key or the unlock doors on the drivers door?

Might it be possible to replicate this by starting the car, lowering the window and passing the key to somebody before driving off? Provided you don't go too far it should be easy for the person to release you. At least then we could try different methods of escape.

Sounds same as what I had but I couldn’t unlock with key buttons but I was sat in the drivers seat while trying to do so.

Correct. I've only tried it the once so it could be a massive coincidence but it makes sense considering the sensors in the drivers seat. The fact that I also drive 3 miles in London without any problems with the error is also a step forward.

So to get it clear, moving from the drivers seat allowed you to use the key fob to open the car.. if so that is a massive step forward in at least allowing exit
Lets hope others with same problem read this and can confirm as a good way out??

If this is repeatable when others experience the problem then potentially all you need to do is take take you rear end out of the seat to stop the seat sensor I hope. If this works it gives MG more really good data on the probable root cause...one hopes

Somebody has literally posted this same issue invalid key on Facebook police had to help him escape with the spare key in the side door

Somebody has literally posted this same issue invalid key on Facebook police had to help him escape with the spare key in the side door
Just read that, getting more common now. If my wife got stuck in the car it would be gone for good. How can MG let this be happening!!!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back