Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

1-4 I tried no luck. My other half got to me before AA and opened the boot. Dealer could not find a fault. I rejected the car after 5 days of ownership as no matter how good a car is to drive is worth this risk. I have 2 little ones and would not risk putting them through it. I think this issue poses a serious risk to life and am surprised the dealers and mg are not taking it more seriously. My thoughts are that it could be down to the start up procedure, not taking enough time to let the car boot up or interference from other keys phones or as the dealer stated card wallet. I hope you don't experience the issue.

1-4 I tried no luck. My other half got to me before AA and opened the boot. Dealer could not find a fault. I rejected the car after 5 days of ownership as no matter how good a car is to drive is worth this risk. I have 2 little ones and would not risk putting them through it. I think this issue poses a serious risk to life and am surprised the dealers and mg are not taking it more seriously. My thoughts are that it could be down to the start up procedure, not taking enough time to let the car boot up or interference from other keys phones or as the dealer stated card wallet. I hope you don't experience the issue.
Do you know whether your dealer escalated the issue with MG, even if the dealer themself didn't find a fault?

Is it possible that the blue-tooth signal from a phone is interfering with the signal from the key if the key's battery is low?

Is it possible that the blue-tooth signal from a phone is interfering with the signal from the key if the key's battery is low?
I wonder if it's a transponder issue, as my old nissan xtrail would say the key wasn't present sometimes unless you put the key on the dash board above the steering wheel

Correct that post doesn't, I have been following the thread and was sure someone had tried it and disproved it.
Just had a quick look and found the post that I believe is that 😉
Not trying to be negative just to try and avoid going over old ground.
There is lots of info in the other thread and lots has been tried so maybe worth looking through further to understand more.
Hence as others suggested already worth merging this with other thread, @Alb could you assist please 😊
I see from that it has been tried and doesn't work so I will erase all thoughts of ever trying this. I do hope someone comes up with a solution to this dilemma.

While this is a very worrying defect as far as I know the cars that it has happened to only do it once. Pure speculation but when the AA attend they disconnect the 12v battery for a short time before reconnecting it forcing the systems to re-boot and the spare key is then used to which appears to re-educate the system.
Would a preventative measure be to disconnect the 12v battery at home for a few minutes before reconnecting?

MG really need to find a fix for this, hopefully they have had it raised from the dealerships, and are working on a fix.
Suggested temporary solutions, if you see the error prior to stopping fully, open a window so the manual key can be used from the outside. Or alternatively have a manual key secreted securely where it can be accessed (maybe under the bonnet as I assume the bonnet catch would function), though obviously this could mean a potential for a misquent to gain access if left their.

The possible causes are either hardware (keyfob, car transponder) or software glitch.

I think it is likely to be a software issue, as it is intermittent, unpredictable and cannot be replicated by MG technicians checking out the affected cars.

The tests done by one of our helpful forum members may not replicate what really happens in these situations. Hence, it may be worth trying the Transit mode feature or anything that causes the software to reboot/reset.

Gem10, Transit Mode was tested further up this thread and made no difference #90 but not in exactly the same circumstances. It did not override anti-theft deadlock

It appears that MG are in their usual "nothing to see here" attitude. Clearly the issue exists and MG should at least believe the incident at their dealers even if they were unsure of the other accounts.

While this is a very worrying defect as far as I know the cars that it has happened to only do it once. Pure speculation but when the AA attend they disconnect the 12v battery for a short time before reconnecting it forcing the systems to re-boot and the spare key is then used to which appears to re-educate the system.
Would a preventative measure be to disconnect the 12v battery at home for a few minutes before reconnecting?
If disconnecting the 12v can resolve this would something akin to this then work 🤷🏻‍♂️

It appears that MG are in their usual "nothing to see here" attitude. Clearly the issue exists and MG should at least believe the incident at their dealers even if they were unsure of the other accounts.
They will probably blame it on another made up internet rumour

Thatcham alarms have the latest can-bus immobilisation which effectively makes the vehicle dead and deadlocked. That appears to be the scenario some are experiencing. No power, no escape method other than the boot

If the car and key stop matching the immobiliser will engage. Given it has not been resolved when the spare key has been brought to the car that would indicate the receiver in the car has malfunctioned. The immobiliser probably does not activate fully until the car is stationary for safety reasons. If it is the receiver I doubt bluetooth would work given it has to handshake with the receiver to disable the immobiliser as well.

It has happened to one owner more than once and he rejected the car after dealership diagnostics could not find anything wrong in the workshop. So it must have resolved itself either in transit or at the dealership or following as suggested a 12v battery disconnect/reconnect. Note to self again...carry an appropriate spanner to disconnect/reconnect battery once I have wriggled out in the hope that works...

All hypothetical but it would point away from key and its batteries and focus the mind on the alarm system somehow randomly activating.

Probably just more words on a lengthening thread but hey ho....

Thatcham alarms have the latest can-bus immobilisation which effectively makes the vehicle dead and deadlocked. That appears to be the scenario some are experiencing. No power, no escape method other than the boot

If the car and key stop matching the immobiliser will engage. Given it has not been resolved when the spare key has been brought to the car that would indicate the receiver in the car has malfunctioned. The immobiliser probably does not activate fully until the car is stationary for safety reasons. If it is the receiver I doubt bluetooth would work given it has to handshake with the receiver to disable the immobiliser as well.

It has happened to one owner more than once and he rejected the car after dealership diagnostics could not find anything wrong in the workshop. So it must have resolved itself either in transit or at the dealership or following as suggested a 12v battery disconnect/reconnect. Note to self again...carry an appropriate spanner to disconnect/reconnect battery once I have wriggled out in the hope that works...

All hypothetical but it would point away from key and its batteries and focus the mind on the alarm system somehow randomly activating.

Probably just more words on a lengthening thread but hey ho....
I posted a remote 12v battery disconnector In a comment above, it uses a remote to disconnect and reconnect the 12v battery.

Https://amzn.eu/d/901ADsF

I posted a remote 12v battery disconnector In a comment above, it uses a remote to disconnect and reconnect the 12v battery.

Https://amzn.eu/d/901ADsF
Handy but I doubt many of us will fit it as a "just in case". Don't know how the dealership would feel about it either but anyway it is a potential workaround not a solution which is what MG should be actively working on rather than owners fitting gadgets as a perhaps, maybe exercise in my opinion

Last edited:
Just seen on mg forum on Facebook 11 minutes ago somebody is stuck in there vehicle invalid key told him the process I had to undertake.this seems to be becoming a more common problem I hope mg are taking this serious I am in garage with my vehicle tomorrow to be checked out.

8F77DBA7-D39A-46D9-A43E-B7760C1417C0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We should not be having to fit such devices to brand new cars.
Even the mechanical version of these fail so I'm not keen on the idea.
I wonder if the car is still functional until you put it into park, can you open the door to ensure it doesn't lock while in drive and have your foot on the brake until you open the door then put into park?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back