Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

in fact when you start off in the car at around 2-5 MPH you hear the dead locks operate as you move
That's just the normal locking mechanism AFAIK not the deadlocks - in my mind the deadlocks are activated when press Lock twice on the key fob. But maybe the systems are related.

That's just the normal locking mechanism AFAIK not the deadlocks - in my mind the deadlocks are activated when press Lock twice on the key fob. But maybe the systems are related.
MG doesn't implement a double press deadlock system, my understanding is it deadlocks as soon as you press the button once

Maybe I'm just hearing the solenoids trying to activate again when I press for the 2nd time, as there is certainly a noise from the car. 🤷‍♂️

That's very interesting (and surprising). I would have assumed that the letters are sent to addresses provided by DVLA. Anything else doesn't make sense.
Thats what it said on my letter, first line?

When you drive off normally the doors lock but you can open with a double pull of the handle so not deadlocked. I assume probably wrongly😂 that the deadlocks only activate when you lock car/power off when stationary and this is wrongly happening in some cases with people inside hence an update required

When you drive off normally the doors lock but you can open with a double pull of the handle so not deadlocked. I assume probably wrongly😂 that the deadlocks only activate when you lock car/power off when stationary and this is wrongly happening in some cases with people inside hence an update required
Not that it’s relevant- you could not remote lock my Yaris with the key inside the car - the system automatically unlocks the doors after you press lock. I know this system is entirely different but it shows there the car is aware of key inside.

Anyhow chaps I think between us we might have given a reasonable and logical answer to this issue raised Sectokia above but might be worth when you have you car updated just to asked the question ( so the doors will now open from the inside regardless is that correct I will )
And simlar51 no need for you to apologise and no offence has been felt or taken this is just another issue that is being sorted out it a complete new car and they might be no has been issues with it but I sure it will all soon be put right.
Now where was we up to forgot
Ho I know got to catch a train to pick up my new well almost new motor see you later.
Les

Anyhow chaps I think between us we might have given a reasonable and logical answer to this issue raised Sectokia above but might be worth when you have you car updated just to asked the question ( so the doors will now open from the inside regardless is that correct I will )
And simlar51 no need for you to apologise and no offence has been felt or taken this is just another issue that is being sorted out it a complete new car and they might be no has been issues with it but I sure it will all soon be put right.
Now where was we up to forgot
Ho I know got to catch a train to pick up my new well almost new motor see you later.
Les
Good luck 🤞

Not that it’s relevant- you could not remote lock my Yaris with the key inside the car - the system automatically unlocks the doors after you press lock. I know this system is entirely different but it shows there the car is aware of key inside.
My MG4 refused to lock the first day I got it because I had the spare key in the boot. It honked the horn when I pressed lock standing outside of it. It seems to know when the key is inside when it’s behaving itself.

My MG4 refused to lock the first day I got it because I had the spare key in the boot. It honked the horn when I pressed lock standing outside of it. It seems to know when the key is inside when it’s behaving itself.
Exactly so even if you key is away from the front tray it still is aware of it

Exactly so even if you key is away from the front tray it still is aware of it
From what I can gather from the posts by people who've had issues, atleast one had to have the keys recoded as if the locking module in the car decided it was no longer a valid key.

Edit: it's worth noting that not all people who've had this issue have done this and one individual has found by lifting their weight from the seat allowed their keys to work, so there maybe two separate issues at work.

Hello guys.
Please forgive me if this as been posted in earlier posts, the thread is too big to read through it all.

I am writing this because an acquaintance of mine told me that he had a government letter last week for a safety recall of some MG 4's,
Mainly because of people getting locked inside and unable to operate the windows, hence the serious public safety, especially in an event of fire.

Have you received one too?

Hello guys.
Please forgive me if this as been posted in earlier posts, the thread is too big to read through it all.

I am writing this because an acquaintance of mine told me that he had a government letter last week for a safety recall of some MG 4's,
Mainly because of people getting locked inside and unable to operate the windows, hence the serious public safety, especially in an event of fire.

Have you received one too?
I think the letter comes directly from MG - the gov website does not show a recall for my MG4

He mentioned which department but I forgot. He insisted that it was not from MG. He also mentioned that the car will need to be at the dealer for 2 weeks. He is extremely unhappy with the car and the situation.

Yes, it’s on MG letterhead.
I’m sure other recall letters I’ve had on other cars have been on government/DVLA letterhead.
I have not as yet had a recall letter from MG myself - all I know is the car is sitting in the dealership workshop ramp for a week and they are waiting for the updates. I wonder if the software only goes onto the system when a recall letter is sent out?.
This would explain why there is no response from MG and my dealer is scratching his head.

From what I can gather from the posts by people who've had issues, atleast one had to have the keys recoded as if the locking module in the car decided it was no longer a valid key.

Edit: it's worth noting that not all people who've had this issue have done this and one individual has found by lifting their weight from the seat allowed their keys to work, so there maybe two separate issues at work.
Ayoull you could well be right so piece of advice for all is when you take you car for any updates take both keys along with you they may not need them but they might, take a look at this video from around 2 years ago at about 4:25 into it chap took is car quite a long ways for a update on a ZS and they could do it has he only had 1 key so be sure to take both keys you might need them
Les

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums