• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

I've just seen another case of this on the MG4 Owners and Fans Group on Facebook.

Have you got any updates to your case?
They also say:
" I have had a number of niggles on here as others have stated, sport mode switching to snow, buzzing sound on reversing and the display switching from night and day constantly."
Just wondering if it's possibly another potentially earthing problem on the 12v battery as Hallix73 posted similar problems in Rumbling and Vibration post #101

They also say:
" I have had a number of niggles on here as others have stated, sport mode switching to snow, buzzing sound on reversing and the display switching from night and day constantly."
Just wondering if it's possibly another potentially earthing problem on the 12v battery as Hallix73 posted similar problems in Rumbling and Vibration post #101
Does sound like electrical gremlins which could be a common cause.

Just wanted to add to the forum, happened to me also horrible experience. Key lost connection about half a mile down the road and when I stoped I could not power down the vehicle. I could not leave the car or open windows. Alarm going of intermittently. I phoned the Mrs to bring the spare key but this didn't help. (Didn't know about the manual key but do now) after almost an hour and calling out AA I asked the Mrs to try the boot and this unlocked the car. Dealer has had the car but say they can't find a fault. Very reluctant about taking the car back but I've been told legally if there is no fault nothing can be done. If it happens again I will video the whole thing and lost it on all media platforms and groups to hopefully help out other users. Mine is also an se standard spec

Just wanted to add to the forum, happened to me also horrible experience. Key lost connection about half a mile down the road and when I stoped I could not power down the vehicle. I could not leave the car or open windows. Alarm going of intermittently. I phoned the Mrs to bring the spare key but this didn't help. (Didn't know about the manual key but do now) after almost an hour and calling out AA I asked the Mrs to try the boot and this unlocked the car. Dealer has had the car but say they can't find a fault. Very reluctant about taking the car back but I've been told legally if there is no fault nothing can be done. If it happens again I will video the whole thing and lost it on all media platforms and groups to hopefully help out other users. Mine is also an se standard spec
I think I saw your post about this on the MG4 Facebook page? Do correct me if it was someone else though

More and more people are seeing this. This is much more worrying to me than oil leaks or undertrays. Horrified.

Has anyone had this happen on a Trophy? Wondering if it is due to something that is different between the specifications.
We have a trophy and it first happened about 3 weeks ago with my dad and he said the car reset itself after about 10 minutes, he got lucky, it happened to me last week and i was trapped in the car for an hour.

AA came out and had to use the mechanical key to get me out, the car went back to the dealership the next day and they said it was a software issue and they did an update, the update hasnt worked as it happened to me again last night and again this morning, this morning i had to commute to work but i kept the window down the whole way for my entire commute just in case it happened again, not great in this current cold weather.

In truth, i don't think the dealerships have a clue what is wrong, however we have had ours 4 weeks and because they have now attempted a repair, we are within our rights to hand the car back.

There are a lot of smaller issues that most can live with, like the drowsiness alert system being too sensitive and when you disable it it enables itself again a few seconds later, lane assist trying to take you into oncoming traffic (we've turned this off now as it is dangerous), the auto hold not working, the star button on the left of the steering wheel no longer works since this update they did, the screen constantly flicking between day and night mode.

All things that MG know about, they have to because these are all the same faults ive seen other people have, apparently there is another fault with oil leakage too

I will give these a go in the morning and report back.
Les
Very sorry for the delay but I have been a little busy this week and it slipped my mind, anyhow, Back at #49 I said I would try a few things to see if it was possible to open the doors somehow,in the MG4 so I got in the passenger seat my wife was in the drivers seat we sopped she switch off the car and then got out and locked the car with me still inside, she than went indoors with the keys, so i tried to open both front doors using the interior handles pulling them once but nothing happened, so then tried pulling them twice in quick succession has as been suggested in this forum still nothing, so I went for the transit mode as suggested by Gem10 in #46 and all this did was set off the alarm none of the doors could be opened without the key being near the car I did not remove the batteries from the keys to simulate a key with a dead battery did not see the point because if you had got in the car to drive it, why would the key then be dead a few minutes or so later.

So we reset the alarm and started again, pulling on any of the internal door handles once or twice did nothing at again so I pressed the unlock button on the drivers door which set off the alarm again but I was still unable to get out as the doors remained lock.

There is no way I at 76 could climb into the boot to try and open that from the inside without doing my self a mischief maybe someone a tad Younger can try that trick for us.

I know a suggestion was made to put the key in the centre storage area but that was not tried because the batteries in the keys are not low on power plus I think that only applies to starting the car not door locking or opening.

So a few people have experience this problem now but luckily they have not been very far aways from the spare keys, but if you where hundreds of miles from home I think widows would have to be broken I for one will not be letting anyone stay in the car and locking it that’s for certain.

I did ask Miles Roberts for his view on this and his answer was, that anyone who as come across this issue should vist their dealer who would then look into the matter and then refer it to the manufacturer if they need to, so if this does occur with your car where you can’t get out of it, get it back to a dealer without delay.

Now there is a further sting in this tale this morning I have done the very same test on my MG5 SR which I have had for over 18 months now with out having any issues unlocking the doors and it’s the very same if the key is not near the car you can not unlock the doors from the inside attempts at transit mode or press the unlock button on the drivers door and the alarm goes off but all the doors remain locked

I find this worrying so much so I will be paying my dealer a visit as early as possible next week. The mechanical key is not of much help if you can’t open a door or window to past it out side.
Les

This, to me, is a more serious issue than any other on this forum. Deadlock (anti theft) should not be a standard lock feature for obvious safety reasons. It should be designed to be a deliberate action (with double button press for example) allowing normal locking with internal opening option as the standard
Imagine, during warmer/ freezing weather, you lock someone in for a quick nip into the shops and something happens to you. As you state any physical limitations, never mind a passenger knowing how to do it, render the emergency boot exit a non option. Do you need to keep an emergency glass breaking tool in the car? Safety instructions as per aircraft...in the event of an emergency.

This is unacceptable and must be resolved as a matter of urgency in my opinion or it will become a press issue.

Alan

Last edited:
This, to me, is a more serious issue than any other on this forum. Deadlock (anti theft) should not be a standard lock feature for obvious safety reasons. It should be designed to be a deliberate action (with double button press for example) allowing normal locking with internal opening option as the standard
Imagine, during warmer/ freezing weather, you lock someone in for a quick nip into the shops and something happens you. As you state any physical limitations, never mind a passenger knowing how to do it, render the emergency boot exit a non option. Do you need to keep an emergency glass breaking tool in the car? Safety instructions as per aircraft...in the event of an emergency.

This is unacceptable and must be resolved as a matter of urgency in my opinion or it will become a press issue.

Alan
I agree. The good thing is that this should be fixable via a software update.

Do the window controls still work when this situation happens? (If yes then there could be an option to use the mechanical key by reaching out through the window).

I'm not trying to defend MG here - just thinking of initial workarounds should it happen.
No the windows do not work try it today see my post #90
Les

If enough owners point it out to their dealerships and ask for action in the first place. That is unless somebody could provide the logic for this design decision that makes sense?

This is a deliberate design decision as I believe other new MG's are the same, such as the ZS. Anyone care to confirm. MG5 owners?

Last edited:
Well tsedge looking back in the thread it’s been done on a couple of cars but still did not stop it re-occurring bit like other things in the car you set it up the way you want it and it resets evevytime you switch it off early reports about this car did say if you set it in Eco and choose your KERS setting it would stay there until you change it does it No same with HVAC and other things as well on the MG5 this is not really an issue just flick the switch in the center in front of the drive selector but on this everything is in the screen and getting to it is a pain at times and I’m getting a sore index finger it is a pain in the A- - - at times I have to say.
Les

Last edited:
Well tsedge looking back in the thread it’s been done on a couple of cars but still did not stop it re-occurring bit like other things in the car you set it up the way you want it and it resets evevytime you switch it off early reports about this car did say if you set it in Eco and choose your KERS setting it would stay there until you change it does No same with HVAC and other things as well on the MG5 this is not really an issue just flick the switch in the center in front of the drive selector but on this everything is in the screen and getting to it is a pain at times and I’m getting a sore index finger it is a pain in the A- - - at times I have to say.
Les
Yes, I agree MG have been poor at persistent settings, although we don’t know which ones are dictated by NCAP (there are some stupid rules).

However, this locked-in-the-car should never happen, so they should change the code permanently to provide a means of exit: it could be a simple combination of presses or something a thief would not know but every owner can learn.

Imagine, during warmer/ freezing weather, you lock someone in for a quick nip into the shops and something happens to you. As you state any physical limitations, never mind a passenger knowing how to do it, render the emergency boot exit a non option. Do you need to keep an emergency glass breaking tool in the car? Safety instructions as per aircraft...in the event of an emergency.

Alan
Agreed. I bought a seatbelt cutting and window breaking tool for our current car in case we drove into a river or something with our son strapped into his car seat. It will be transferred to our trophy when we get it too.

Escape tool

Bit of lateral thinking. There is a virtual third key in the form of the app on your phone. I'm wondering if that is causing the problem.
For example is it, or is the car, misinterpreting the binding signal from the phone as it disconnects and then and reconnects or visa versa?

Seems to be a stock answer to all this cars issues (oil leak, seat and tray aside)
The infotainment/ software on this car is shambolic and embarrassing! it should not have been released to market with all these issues. I get that some will only be identified when people start to use it, but it looks like hardly any testing was done and it was already on the road in China.
This has the potential to be really dangerous

Bit of lateral thinking. There is a virtual third key in the form of the app on your phone. I'm wondering if that is causing the problem.
For example is it, or is the car, misinterpreting the binding signal from the phone as it disconnects and then and reconnects or visa versa?
Well Ian, I have not as yet even looked at the iSMART app let alone activated it, but then I have only tried to simulate the issue with the wife’s car by being locked inside it, I tried a kona this afternoon locked me in it went away with the keys wait a couple of minutes opened the door from inside the alarm went off when the door opened.
Les

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 422 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel