• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

So I have just got back from a trip to the dealers who for some reason are closed today, I thought it was very strange that no one was answering the phone which I did try before I went, but came home thinking I will go tomorrow but I have just come on here and read what miles has posted today.
So from now on if I’m leaving anyone in the car in future I will be leaving the keys with them.
My mother 95 who passed a couple of years ago always would say to me please make sure the doors are locked if I was leaving her in the car for a short while and my wife at night time if we stop to go into the shop or a take away place will aways say lock the doors but not now we know this she can keep the keys and lock it and I hope she doesn’t set the alarm off while she sat there waiting.

But this does not explain why the cars that have had an issue, had the issue in the first place when the keys where already in the car !
That part is still worrying to me and I will be very interested to see what Toms dealer finds with his car.
Les
You could also use the lock button by the driver door, opposed to leaving the keys

Sorry this tread is all about the lock/unlock button plus the interior door handles do not work if the key is not with the car
Not tried it in the mg4 but the door buttons lock and unlock in the mg zs ev as in the occupants lock the door with the internal button not you with the key

The MG4 locks as per most modern MG vehicles including using the interior door lock/unlock switch on the drivers door.
However if you lock someone in with the key or door button press and walk away the passengers cannot exit the car due to the anti-theft deadlock and immobilise function design, again as per most recent MG's. That is the gist of this thread plus some new MG4 users have been deadlocked in the car, due to a yet to be resolved fault, that renders door handles, key fobs and anything else you can think off unusable...serious stuff

Alan

This issue is really starting to gnaw away at me now and I'm struggling to not think about it, despite our delivery being at least a month away.

To anyone who has experienced this problem, how are your dealers going about trying to investigate and resolve the matter? I imagine it's a situation that is difficult to replicate on demand but I would hope that at least something is being done.

Hello, I had this issue exactly a week ago. So far from face book and other forums I have been in contact with 4 other owners or have seen there lists about the same thing. As of yet no one has had a fix and one never has had it happen multiple times. My experience was horrible as I was at the school to pick up my children and there was nothing I could do to exit. I did not know about the boot escape. The dealer collected the car next day and found no fault. They wanted to give me the car back. I refused and am currently getting a refund and rejecting the car. The Mg4 is great to drive and I loved it but I will never risk being trapped in a car. As they can not find a fault there is no fix. My understanding it is only a few members but even 1 is to many. Take this thread to your dealer and ask them what is being done. If they can’t provide you with an answer you are happy with ask your self if you are happy to crawl out the boot if it happens to you. One lady has had it happen multiple times, the dealer has had the car in and the only fix was to quite the alarm when she was trapped. I hope this of some help to you.

Hello, I had this issue exactly a week ago. So far from face book and other forums I have been in contact with 4 other owners or have seen there lists about the same thing. As of yet no one has had a fix and one never has had it happen multiple times. My experience was horrible as I was at the school to pick up my children and there was nothing I could do to exit. I did not know about the boot escape. The dealer collected the car next day and found no fault. They wanted to give me the car back. I refused and am currently getting a refund and rejecting the car. The Mg4 is great to drive and I loved it but I will never risk being trapped in a car. As they can not find a fault there is no fix. My understanding it is only a few members but even 1 is to many. Take this thread to your dealer and ask them what is being done. If they can’t provide you with an answer you are happy with ask your self if you are happy to crawl out the boot if it happens to you. One lady has had it happen multiple times, the dealer has had the car in and the only fix was to quite the alarm when she was trapped. I hope this of some help to you.
How did you escape in the end?
did the dealer agree to a refund?
I was actually going considering buying today until I read this, what are others thoughts? are you cancelling or changing your mind re ordering based on this?
I feel like we need a poll to see how many its affected

The dealer were fantastic but could not find a fault. In the end my partner came just before the AA and was able to open the boot as the doors would not work and her key would not unlock. After a number of conversations it seems to have been the losing connection within seconds of driving the car, because of this when I stopped the car it went into a lock with not allowing me to power down or exit. I could not drive and after attempting to leave the alarm sounded. I have since been told there is a release on the inside boot which I could have crawled through. I asked if it could have been another key or phone interfering and I was told possibly. Due to these reasons I rejected the car for a refund. Very hard decision as it was amazing to drive but had this happened at an accident or fire could have ended very badly. I appreciate so far there are only 6 owners I know of that have had the issue but I am not prepared to take the risk. I am very jealous of all the owners who have not experienced this issue as it is fabulous but as I know the issue could happen and there is no fix at the moment I will not be purchasing again. The decision is yours and it seems only a few owners have the issue. I hope this helps. There are some other small niggles but these are minor and easy to live with for such a great car.

My concern was they could not tell me if it was a fault or something I did with start up. They gave me a number of possible causes but honestly they didn't know. As the car was 5 days old I made the decision to reject. Was really hard as had waited for the car and now left attempting trying to get something else. There seems to be a number of software issues which I'm sure will be resolved over time but did not expect something so serious. Fingers crossed there's only the few that's been affected and a simple solution. When I hear more I will post on here.

My concern was they could not tell me if it was a fault or something I did with start up. They gave me a number of possible causes but honestly they didn't know. As the car was 5 days old I made the decision to reject. Was really hard as had waited for the car and now left attempting trying to get something else. There seems to be a number of software issues which I'm sure will be resolved over time but did not expect something so serious. Fingers crossed there's only the few that's been affected and a simple solution. When I hear more I will post on here.
I think I would have done the same in your circumstances, a real shame though.

Saturday 3 December 09:30
Sorry to resurrect this thread but someone else has just reported on Facebook that they have been locked in their MG4 with the key. Ended up having to crawl out of the boot using the emergency release.

Last edited:
I’m away to the lakes sometime this next week probably staying up there for a week or so but now after selling my trusty MG5 we are going in the MG4 guess what I will be taking both keys with us until something is done about this issue.
Not sure we could even attempt get out through the boot as it will be fully loaded.
Les

I’m away to the lakes sometime this next week probably staying up there for a week or so but now after selling my trusty MG5 we are going in the MG4 guess what I will be taking both keys with us until something is done about this issue.
Not sure we could even attempt get out through the boot as it will be fully loaded.
Les
Hopefully you don't have the issue. If you are really worried, stick one of the manual keys under the bonnet so the AA man can get to it and let you out 😁😉

My son has a model Y Tesla, and the other week he left his wife and young son in the car while he popped into a shop. Suddenly the alarm went off (on the Tesla it's VERY loud heavy metal being blasted out) and his wife and son were trapped inside until he came running out of the shop to unlock the car. Very unsettling for his wife, but his son wanted more heavy metal 😂
Just shows that it's not just an MG problem.
I did ask him whether there was a mechanical door release, and he thought there was, BUT because the alarm cuts the 12v battery supply, the windows don't drop and the seals make it very difficult to open the doors. He thinks that if his wife had pushed hard enough she may have been able to open the doors, but would have damaged the seals and maybe broken a window.

Opening the boot from the outside also unlocks the car - as per a post I have seen.

I have put a fresh button cell in the keyfob, just in case a flat battery caused this issue.

My plan for the locked-in situation is below, with escalating steps:
1. Place keyfob, with buttons facing up, in central storage.
2. Attempt to power down the car from infotainment panel.
3. Use the Bluetooth key in the iSmart app to unlock and start car.
4. Call AA for help and get a family member to bring the spare key.
5. When help arrives, ask them to first try and open the boot from the outside.
6. If spare key is available, to open the driver's door with the manual key. We have practiced doing this. I suggest all owners should get confident in doing this.
7. If no spare key is available, or if an emergency exit is needed, to crawl into the boot and open from the inside.
8. If nothing works, to open the bonnet and get AA to disconnect and reconnect the 12V battery.
9. Pray!

Edit: Added trying the Bluetooth key.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 425 79.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video