Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Just had a thought I wonder if MG use a system similar to VAG where each key has a random code generator built in and the car knows the predicted sequence, so each time the key validates it produces a new code based in the predetermined algorithm.

If the key is constantly being polled for revalidation it could be the key can't produce the code quick enough so the car thinks it's an invalid key and locks out, doesn't explain why the spare doesn't work mind.
Don’t have my car yet, hopefully this will be resolved by mid March when it’s expected (going through a company scheme).

Has anyone, or could anyone try putting the key in an RFID blocking pouch to see if that could break any loop cycling through?

Would taking the key fob battery out have the same effect.
Oh yeah, probably. Maybe take the battery out, put the key in a pouch, bounce on the seat while stomping on the brake and releasing the bonnet and jabbing at all the buttons…

Might not get you out but it’ll keep you warm…

Is it possible to disable auto locking on the doors? This now seems to be common on all cars but if the doors never lock after setting off we should all be able to exit after the key error

There are two separate functions, autolock and deadlock.
Autolock enables normal exit at all times even in the case of an accident
Deadlock, which is the problem being experienced, does not allow entry or exit by design (Thatcham cat1)

You should be able to turn off autolock but deadlock is not configurable as it part of the anti-theft design.

Yep that's about it.

The seat suggestion comes from the post from @Gench who seems to have had this a few times.

Time will tell if this can be made to work when the invalid key is shown.
I don't get why it didn't work for @Mars6394 was the bonnet fully open isn his case and was there a significant delay in the time between the 2 events (bonnet open and out of the seat)
It's a mystery still ultimately, the boot is the only solid fully proven option.
As.the bonnet opens a manual key could be secreted there as I have previously suggested for people that have had the issue should they want a fallback, and not just leave the car with MG until it's resolved, who knows when.

EDIT @Gench had you put the car in park or hand brake on, no wondering if anything/what was different?
The car was in park and the hand brake was on. Bonnet was fully open but I doubt the car could tell. Maybe I locked the car first before I unlocked it. I really don't know exactly as I was expecting to exit via the boot.

Latest so far

Key -no
Key in sweet spot - no
Spare key - no
App - no
Interior handles- no
Transit mode - no
Open windows - no
Bluetooth - probably a no but not seen confirmation yet
Bonnet opening - not in its own right

Escape through boot - yes
Physical key in exterior emergency lock - yes
Move from drivers seat and try fob (didn't work in at least one case)
(Try with car in park and the hand brake on, bonnet fully open Maybe locked the car first before unlocking it)
Disconnect/reconnect 12v battery - unconfirmed

Everyone here is really appreciated with the way people are trying to talk through issues and establish a root cause or work around.

However I very much believe this energy should be expended to let the authorities and MG know. This is not one of those issues that we should be "working around", not that we should for any of the others for a new car costing over £25k and over £30k in others.

My mind is made up, I won't be taking ownership again. This is not the type of issue to be taken lightly. Called the dealer and asked about it today and he didn't acknowledge knowing about this issue but talked of some others he was aware of and told of one he witnessed firsthand whilst charging his polestar and an MG4 came to do same but car wouldn't charge and they called the AA.

I think I'll leave it till next year and look at what's out there late January to early February. I'll probably not get an EV delivered now till second half of year or even near the end with the rate at which the supply chain is currently challenged.

I'm rooting for MG but won't put my wife's and toddler' s comfort or safety at risk for a company that seems to be a bit quiet at best, deliberately or imagined, until they are more forthcoming. I'll keep the cynic in me subdued for now but this position is one tken by my more rational and sound of mind self.

Everyone here is really appreciated with the way people are trying to talk through issues and establish a root cause or work around.

However I very much believe this energy should be expended to let the authorities and MG know. This is not one of those issues that we should be "working around", not that we should for any of the others for a new car costing over £25k and over £30k in others.

My mind is made up, I won't be taking ownership again. This is not the type of issue to be taken lightly. Called the dealer and asked about it today and he didn't acknowledge knowing about this issue but talked of some others he was aware of and told of one he witnessed firsthand whilst charging his polestar and an MG4 came to do same but car wouldn't charge and they called the AA.

I think I'll leave it till next year and look at what's out there late January to early February. I'll probably not get an EV delivered now till second half of year or even near the end with the rate at which the supply chain is currently challenged.

I'm rooting for MG but won't put my wife's and toddler' s comfort or safety at risk for a company that seems to be a bit quiet at best, deliberately or imagined, until they are more forthcoming. I'll keep the cynic in me subdued for now but this position is one tken by my more rational and sound of mind self.
Dont blame you, I would have done the same and cancelled any order until MG get their act together. I have my Trophy with a few issues (thankfully I have a pro-active dealer) but if the getting locked in the car happened to me, or god forbid my wife, it would be gone in 60 seconds!! Lets see what 2023 brings in the EV world.

Retsiba, I agree but what we are trying to do is establish a method of exiting the car if it happens to any members in the meantime. Not a solution, but simply a way, without crawling through the boot or calling the AA whilst panicked, to exit the vehicle.

MG escalation should be happening with each incident and, as Alb pointed, out using official safety issue routes

Update for everyone car still in garage mg have responded and are taking this serious they have downloaded fault files and looking into it.also they have reported it to the dvsa and dvla I have also had a response from them stating mg are working on the solution and will respond back asap in regards to the issue.

I know you have thought about rejecting your car, with what has happened I think you would be on a sound footing to justify doing that.
MG don't have a clue what's causing it, and as has been said this is a serious safety issue
Was that an oral or written response?
Written and verbal from dvsa and verbal from dealer

Are you allowed to post written dvla response...if you have it
I can’t see why I can’t post it.
The dealership have been great so far with the help.

The manufacturer had already informed DVSA of the concern, and we are now working together to reach an acceptable solution.

Last edited:
I can’t see why I can’t post it.
The dealership have been great so far with the help.

The manufacturer had already informed DVSA of the concern, and we are now working together to reach an acceptable solution.

Happy with MG there. That's what I'd expect from a responsible company that is looking to keep its customers and attract new ones.

Happy with MG there. That's what I'd expect from a responsible company that is looking to keep its customers and attract new ones.
Like I say I can’t fault dealership at all nor mg they have been proactive and I was very surprised when dvsa said they have reported it to them as a concern.I have been asked questions how it happened different scenarios etc I think it will be a software update to the car but that’s a guess to the solution but they are working on it which is good

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 524 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back