Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

I thought the update for this issue was being classed as a recall, how many owners have actually been contacted by their dealer and told to bring their car in for the update?

I thought the update for this issue was being classed as a recall, how many owners have actually been contacted by their dealer and told to bring their car in for the update?
There’s no official recall recorded on the gov.uk website. Maybe its a voluntary recall organised by MG

Seems to me out of all the issues this is the one MG/ the dealers should be doing their best to get in touch with every owner and get the software update done as a priority.
This certainly has the potential to be the most dangerous fault. Somone less mobile might not be able to get from the front and get out the boot.

Seems to me out of all the issues this is the one MG/ the dealers should be doing their best to get in touch with every owner and get the software update done as a priority.
This certainly has the potential to be the most dangerous fault. Somone less mobile might not be able to get from the front and get out the boot.
I agree. If I don't get some rock solid evidence that MG UK and dealers are being pro-active about this issue then I am going to cancel my order.

I agree. If I don't get some rock solid evidence that MG UK and dealers are being pro-active about this issue then I am going to cancel my order.
Hopefully there is evidence of owners being proactively contacted by MG/dealers rather than owners hearing about it from social media and chasing the dealers, this sends out the wrong message
It's a bit like the oil leak but far more serious owners should be getting contacted and made aware not finding out the hard way.

I haven't got my car yet but when the gave me the fortnightly update I asked my dealer about this and according to them they have been instructed by MG to install the update before releasing new cars.
If you are still concerned ask your dealer what they are doing about the update and if they know nothing about it then cancel your order as the are obviously not pro-active.

That's great for all the new cars, you also seem to have a very proactive dealer (confidence builder for sure)
The problem is how they deal with all the cars already out there, they can't treat it the same as the oil leak and take the "wait and see if it happens then bring it back and we'll fix it" route. Something serious could happen with that stance.

I haven't got my car yet but when the gave me the fortnightly update I asked my dealer about this and according to them they have been instructed by MG to install the update before releasing new cars.
If you are still concerned ask your dealer what they are doing about the update and if they know nothing about it then cancel your order as the are obviously not pro-active.
That is good news, but what about all you current owners out there....have you be pro-actively contacted??

"If you are still concerned ask your dealer what they are doing about the update and if they know nothing about it then cancel your order as the are obviously not pro-active"

It really shouldn't be the owners responsibility to chase dealers, members are fortunate that because of this forum they are made aware of issues and can chase up dealers.

What about the vast majority of owners out there who potentially don't use social media/forums and are oblivious to the fault, they might only find out the hard way

It’s happened to me now too. Thanks god for this thread as we managed to get out through the boot. Not good!
Have you now had the software update? Did this resolve any issues?

I'm sure there are reports that the software updates have potentially caused some other issues, saw it on Facebook.
Such a dangerous problem
Jeez I hope not!!

URGENT. anyone who purchased their MG4 prior to 14/12 I would suggest a visit to your dealership to have the car updated with the latest software.

Yesterday my car deadlocked with me inside and nothing would open the vehicle. Fortunately I wasn’t far from home and my husband came with the spare key and was able to unlock the car from the outside. A most distressing event.

I’ve taken my vehicle back to the dealership today and been advised that MG are aware of this very serious safety issue but are not recalling vehicles. The software update to prevent this happening was issued on 13/12.

My car was purchased on 1/12 so still within the 30 days to reject the vehicle under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as the car is of unsatisfactory quality. However, my dealership tell me that, as they have a fix for this issue, I cannot reject the car. They will update the softwear and return car to me.

I really loved this car but now have absolutely no confidence in it.

Jeez I hope not!!

URGENT. anyone who purchased their MG4 prior to 14/12 I would suggest a visit to your dealership to have the car updated with the latest software.

Yesterday my car deadlocked with me inside and nothing would open the vehicle. Fortunately I wasn’t far from home and my husband came with the spare key and was able to unlock the car from the outside. A most distressing event.

I’ve taken my vehicle back to the dealership today and been advised that MG are aware of this very serious safety issue but are not recalling vehicles. The software update to prevent this happening was issued on 13/12.

My car was purchased on 1/12 so still within the 30 days to reject the vehicle under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as the car is of unsatisfactory quality. However, my dealership tell me that, as they have a fix for this issue, I cannot reject the car. They will update the softwear and return car to me.

As I've said before and as much as I agree with your advice, can anybody confirm if they have actually been proactively contacted by their dealer/MG and told to bring their car in for the update?

The lack of response the last time I asked was certainly telling,

Jeez I hope not!!

Your dealer is wrong.
Within 30 days you DO NOT have to accept a repair on a serious fault (which this is) that existed when you got the car.
Pretty bloody obvious the software fault that caused this was coded into the car when you got it.
So you can reject easily.

Happened to me AGAIN the other day. I lifted my bum off the seat and the car opened no problem, still not ideal, kids in the car etc so was a bit worried.

Dealer told me MG would be in touch, but I’ve heard nothing so far. The dealer I bought mine from is 250+ miles away, can I take it to my local dealer to apply the update? I assume that would be ok..

Thanks
Sam

Happened to me AGAIN the other day. I lifted my bum off the seat and the car opened no problem, still not ideal, kids in the car etc so was a bit worried.

Dealer told me MG would be in touch, but I’ve heard nothing so far. The dealer I bought mine from is 250+ miles away, can I take it to my local dealer to apply the update? I assume that would be ok..

Thanks
Sam
Have you had the software updated?
Yes you should be able to take it to the nearest dealer especially as it's a safety issue.

It would appear there hasn't been much proactive contacting of owners by dealers/MG, to come and get the software update, for what is a serious safety issue that has been reported to DVSA.
Surely they can't be taking a similar stance to the oil leak and waiting for it to happen to owners first and owners reporting it.

It would appear there hasn't been much proactive contacting of owners by dealers/MG, to come and get the software update, for what is a serious safety issue that has been reported to DVSA.
Surely they can't be taking a similar stance to the oil leak and waiting for it to happen to owners first and owners reporting it.
My understanding and may be wrong is the DVSA force safety based recalls once affected VINs are identified.

That's fairly simple then - all cars sold to date.
Except for those after 13/12/2022.

Again from my understanding dealing with past vehicles that got recalled, they have so many days to provide affected VINs, before they are forced to essentially say all vehicles require recalling

This is the main reason I cancelled my order, I could have put up with everything else. The way things were getting dealt with the oil leak rang alarm bells with me! and this issue has the potential to be really dangerous and on the face of it seems to be getting dealt with in the same way. It's great they have a software fix , same as the modified breather, and both arrived pretty quick, but unless they are going to proactively apply them to all cars sold before the issues and fixes were developed, what's the point? People are still being inconvenienced and potentially placed in danger
I know there hasn't been too many locked in incidents, but must be in double figures I wasn't willing to take the chance. One incident was enough and there are owners not willing to get back in their cars.
Come on MG get on the phone and get the cars back for the update!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back