London to Wales on M4?

MG4London

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Planning our first long motorway trip in our SR SE

If we leave London on a full charge hope we will get to Bristol or even over the bridge maybe Newport or Cardiff before needing stop.

Is it foolish to let the batteries go under 5% if you know there is a services coming up before you get to zero?

What happens when you get to very low battery level?

Even if you run out completely if you are going slow on the inside lane would you just coast a while on the hard shoulder and then call AA?

I’m not planning that just wondering

Also any advice on which services on the M4 motorway are tree for charging? Any little tips appreciated

At about 150 miles I doubt you need to charge unless you are planning for the way back too.
Thanks I’m going to drive very economical

I’ve got about 270 miles to do.

So I will need to charge once maybe near the bridge which is about half way (140 miles)

Are there any better services to plan to charge from than others?

Which apps do I need to have downloaded please as I’m a newbie?

Or can you just rock up and charge by paying for it there and then?

Last edited:
I'd always want 20 miles in the battery when I stop, particularly at motorway services where rapids can be unreliable or occupied, unless they are new multi-rapid hubs.

How far is it altogether? 150 miles? If you can be sure of getting a charge when you reach your destination, maybe you don't need to plan to stop.

I'm planning my first long motorway trip for Tuesday, to avoid the Bank Holiday rush. I'm going from West Linton in Peeblesshire to Halifax in Yorkshire, which I know is about 195 miles. I have no intention whatsoever of trying to do this on one charge in the SR, it would be insanity. Given that I'm going to stop once, I checked the motorway service stations to formulate a plan.

The nearest one to half way is Southwaite, 88 miles from home, and there really isn't any point in stopping sooner than that. That is my planned charging stop, which will leave me 107 miles to go. I imagine that's what will happen - I'll find an ultra-rapid charger, leave the car, have a coffee and a scone or something, read my Kindle, and get back to a fully-charged car that will easily do the rest.

However, if there is a problem at Southwaite, the next service station, Tebay, is definitely a problem, because at the moment it only has Tesla chargers. (I'm told that chargers for the hoi polloi will be open in the summer, so subsequent trips will be able to include that one.) There is apparently the possibility at the moment of using an access road to get to the northbound service station, which has ordinary chargers, so that's a possibility. There is also a single rapid charger in Tebay village itself, which is easily accessed from the motorway. Right now I intend to skip Tebay unless my charge level is worrying (in which case I should probably have made my first stop at Gretna Green or Todhills and be thinking about a second stop at Kirkby Lonsdale, but I doubt that will be necessary).

Backup is therefore Killington Lake, at 128 miles, which should still be fine. I really doubt that both Southwaite and Killington Lake will be problematic, but as this is my first foray I'm covering all the bases. Second backup is Kirkby Lonsdale, at 140 miles. That should be doable at this time of year, although I'd be a bit nervous about it in the depths of winter.

In the highly unlikely event of all three options being unavailable, I will not leave Kirkby Lonsdale without a charge, come hell or high water. There isn't a lot after that until Skipton and I would not be comfortable going on. I think the consequences of running out of charge in an EV are serious enough that I would not be prepared to risk it. It's not as if rescue is only a can of petrol away.

Once I get to Halifax, the fates (and Calderdale Council) have erected a few type 2 charging stations right opposite my friend's house. They're expensive, but for a few days I don't mind. So I'll just leave the car on one of these overnight, and I'll be all set to show off the car's performance the next day. This will also let me leave with a full charge when I set off home. (I will also take the granny charger so I can charge at my friend's house itself in case of any problem with the type 2s.)

On the way back I have the same system. Preferred charging stop is Southwaite again, 104 miles away, and 88 miles from home. (If I'm eating charge, Tebay at only 78 miles is also a possibility on the north-bound carriageway.) Backup stops are then Todhills (117 miles, 78 miles from home) and Gretna Green (124 miles, 72 miles from home).

This is undoubtedly overkill bordering on the obsessive, but it will be my first trip and I don't want to be caught out. I expect that once I've done a few of these I'll be quite relaxed and take it in my stride.

I had a serious range anxiety issue in my Peugeot on that road, driving north, on Christmas Eve some years ago. I knew I was quite low on petrol when I started, but was rashly confident of getting the stuff on the way. I passed a couple of open petrol stations in Halifax itself, but didn't stop. Silly me. I don't remember why I didn't stop in Keighley, or maybe the early-closing problem had already caught up with me by then. I remember driving round Skipton and finding two petrol stations, both closed early for the night. The one at Hellifield had ceased operations entirely.

I kept going, trying to drive steadily at about 50 mph with a light right foot. The Co-op petrol station at Ingleby was closed. I was pinning all my hopes on Kirkby Lonsdale by then, and when it was closed too I started to panic. I was very reluctant to turn on to the M6 when I knew I was running on fumes. Killington Lake is southbound-only and the next one up is Tebay which I didn't have a hope in hell of reaching. Going south, Burton in Kendal is only six miles away - but it's northbound-only! I phoned the RAC to be told that they would only come to rescue me if I had actually run out, and no they had no idea what I should do other than go on until the car conked out.

In the end I turned south for Burton-in-Kendal, but on back roads, not on the motorway. I made it to the northbound service station by dint of going down an access road against a no-entry sign, and I haven't seen anything quite so welcome as that row of petrol pumps. It was quite late on Christmas Eve by then, but of course the motorway services never close. The absolutely lovely girl at the cash register gave me a box of mince pies her mother had made - she was giving them to all the travellers who stopped there that night, as a Christmas gift. I could have kissed her.

That was bad enough, but if the worst had happened I'd simply have had to sit it out in the car until the RAC brought me a can of petrol. Not going even close to there in an EV.

I would be interested in finding out how you get on. Both on your journey down and back.

Yet to get an MG4 got my Zappi home charger fitted last Friday. So when I am ready I am at least good to go. Concentrating on upcoming holidays but will start looking more seriously from September.

If you do run out and contact AA will they bring you all the way to your destination or just give you a charge?

Are there any better services to plan to charge from than others?

Which apps do I need to have downloaded please as I’m a newbie?

Or can you just rock up and charge by paying for it there and then?

Since nobody else has really tackled this one, I'll give it a shot.

As I understand it, all new charge-points installed since January 2022 are supposed to have contactless payment. So if you're on one of these, you're sorted. If you have a good idea where you're going to stop it's an idea to check which supplier's charge-points they are and see if you need to download an app (if they won't take contactless). I have checked Southwaite and they take contactless (they're Gridserve). A quick look at the others I mentioned above shows they're the same - most are Gridserve and all take contactless. I just noticed one wrinkle. The chargers at Todhills are shown to be on the southbound section, and it's not obvious how you'd access them from the northbound carriageway. And yet a video of a road trip to Scotland done in a Trophy showed them charging at Todhills on the way north.

My one anxiety is the charge-points in front of my friend's house. These do not take contactless and require an app. I had hell's own trouble downloading the app, and even when I did, I couldn't register the car because they don't have MG4 as one of their options. I think I have an account with them and should be OK, but I'm taking the granny charger just in case.

Another possibility if I can't use the type 2 chargers at my friend's house is to drive to a superfast chargepoint elsewhere in the town. I note however that they're all extremely expensive, and they mostly seem to want an Allstar RFID card. I don't have time to apply for such a card now. However I think they also take "Zap-Pay", and since I have a ZapMaps account I added my debit card to that. I don't know how this game works where you pay using your phone, but it looks as if I'm going to find out. If it doesn't work, my car is going to spend a lot of time tethered to a 13A plug in my friend's garage, I fear.

These are the considerations a newbie has to think about. If it looks as if you need to download an app to pay, it's better to do that at home than to struggle with it at the actual charger when you're down to 10% charge. Once we've done a few trips it will all be sorted and we'll know what to do.

That Scotland road trip by Trophy is well worth a watch, because they cover finding charge-points on the way. Although the Tesla chargers they used are very unusual in being open to non-Tesla cars, most of them aren't. The parking garage in Aberdeen with the all-night charging capability looks like a little glimpse of the future!

Drive slow. Uses a lot less charge at 60mph than 70mph.

Where's the fun in that?

I guess if it means you can do one less charging stop it's worth it, but I'm going to have to stop once anyway, and I think I'd have to be driving like Stirling Moss to need to make two stops. But we'll see.

How far is it altogether? 150 miles? If you can be sure of getting a charge when you reach your destination, maybe you don't need to plan to stop.

I'm planning my first long motorway trip for Tuesday, to avoid the Bank Holiday rush. I'm going from West Linton in Peeblesshire to Halifax in Yorkshire, which I know is about 195 miles. I have no intention whatsoever of trying to do this on one charge in the SR, it would be insanity. Given that I'm going to stop once, I checked the motorway service stations to formulate a plan.

The nearest one to half way is Southwaite, 88 miles from home, and there really isn't any point in stopping sooner than that. That is my planned charging stop, which will leave me 107 miles to go. I imagine that's what will happen - I'll find an ultra-rapid charger, leave the car, have a coffee and a scone or something, read my Kindle, and get back to a fully-charged car that will easily do the rest.

However, if there is a problem at Southwaite, the next service station, Tebay, is definitely a problem, because at the moment it only has Tesla chargers. (I'm told that chargers for the hoi polloi will be open in the summer, so subsequent trips will be able to include that one.) There is apparently the possibility at the moment of using an access road to get to the northbound service station, which has ordinary chargers, so that's a possibility. There is also a single rapid charger in Tebay village itself, which is easily accessed from the motorway. Right now I intend to skip Tebay unless my charge level is worrying (in which case I should probably have made my first stop at Gretna Green or Todhills and be thinking about a second stop at Kirkby Lonsdale, but I doubt that will be necessary).

Backup is therefore Killington Lake, at 128 miles, which should still be fine. I really doubt that both Southwaite and Killington Lake will be problematic, but as this is my first foray I'm covering all the bases. Second backup is Kirkby Lonsdale, at 140 miles. That should be doable at this time of year, although I'd be a bit nervous about it in the depths of winter.

In the highly unlikely event of all three options being unavailable, I will not leave Kirkby Lonsdale without a charge, come hell or high water. There isn't a lot after that until Skipton and I would not be comfortable going on. I think the consequences of running out of charge in an EV are serious enough that I would not be prepared to risk it. It's not as if rescue is only a can of petrol away.

Once I get to Halifax, the fates (and Calderdale Council) have erected a few type 2 charging stations right opposite my friend's house. They're expensive, but for a few days I don't mind. So I'll just leave the car on one of these overnight, and I'll be all set to show off the car's performance the next day. This will also let me leave with a full charge when I set off home. (I will also take the granny charger so I can charge at my friend's house itself in case of any problem with the type 2s.)

On the way back I have the same system. Preferred charging stop is Southwaite again, 104 miles away, and 88 miles from home. (If I'm eating charge, Tebay at only 78 miles is also a possibility on the north-bound carriageway.) Backup stops are then Todhills (117 miles, 78 miles from home) and Gretna Green (124 miles, 72 miles from home).

This is undoubtedly overkill bordering on the obsessive, but it will be my first trip and I don't want to be caught out. I expect that once I've done a few of these I'll be quite relaxed and take it in my stride.

I had a serious range anxiety issue in my Peugeot on that road, driving north, on Christmas Eve some years ago. I knew I was quite low on petrol when I started, but was rashly confident of getting the stuff on the way. I passed a couple of open petrol stations in Halifax itself, but didn't stop. Silly me. I don't remember why I didn't stop in Keighley, or maybe the early-closing problem had already caught up with me by then. I remember driving round Skipton and finding two petrol stations, both closed early for the night. The one at Hellifield had ceased operations entirely.

I kept going, trying to drive steadily at about 50 mph with a light right foot. The Co-op petrol station at Ingleby was closed. I was pinning all my hopes on Kirkby Lonsdale by then, and when it was closed too I started to panic. I was very reluctant to turn on to the M6 when I knew I was running on fumes. Killington Lake is southbound-only and the next one up is Tebay which I didn't have a hope in hell of reaching. Going south, Burton in Kendal is only six miles away - but it's northbound-only! I phoned the RAC to be told that they would only come to rescue me if I had actually run out, and no they had no idea what I should do other than go on until the car conked out.

In the end I turned south for Burton-in-Kendal, but on back roads, not on the motorway. I made it to the northbound service station by dint of going down an access road against a no-entry sign, and I haven't seen anything quite so welcome as that row of petrol pumps. It was quite late on Christmas Eve by then, but of course the motorway services never close. The absolutely lovely girl at the cash register gave me a box of mince pies her mother had made - she was giving them to all the travellers who stopped there that night, as a Christmas gift. I could have kissed her.

That was bad enough, but if the worst had happened I'd simply have had to sit it out in the car until the RAC brought me a can of petrol. Not going even close to there in an EV.
If Southwaite is a problem then consider calling in at Penrith. It is less than 5 minutes from the motorway. Booths in Penrith has Instavolt chargers and Morrisons also has GeniePoint chargers.

That's good advice. (I saved a packet at Christmas near there by leaving the motorway just after Todhills, which was displaying insane petrol prices, and finding a wee garage about 100 yards off the slip road that was charging about 30p less per litre!)

GeniePoint seem to be the ones that need an Allstar card or Zap-Pay. I hope I have Zap-Pay sorted but we'll see. The one at Boots appears to take contactless, which is definitely a plus.

People do seem to speak favourably of the Gridserve charging stations though, and as I'm going the day after the bank holiday I'm hoping there won't be too many cars all trying to charge at once.

Drive slow. Uses a lot less charge at 60mph than 70mph.
Yes I love 60mph on the inside lane behind a big truck and using his slip stream. This is the most economic and by far the safest because his stopping distance is a hell of a lot more than an MG4 which can stop on dime😁

Just as long as I don’t get too close and that automatic emergency stop does come on at 60😬

Has anyone ever had to phone AA with a flat battery?

Would they give you a fast charge there and then it tow you to a charge point? Or even all the way to your destination which would be preferable 👍

Has anyone ever had to phone AA with a flat battery?

Would they give you a fast charge there and then it tow you to a charge point? Or even all the way to your destination which would be preferable 👍
I spoke to the AA guy at the Fully Charged show last week. They will give your battery sufficient juice to get you to a charging station. Interestingly if they need to recover your car for any reason and they do not have a flat bed recovery truck they will swap your rear wheels for specially designed ones that allow towing without damaging the car.

I spoke to the AA guy at the Fully Charged show last week. They will give your battery sufficient juice to get you to a charging station. Interestingly if they need to recover your car for any reason and they do not have a flat bed recovery truck they will swap your rear wheels for specially designed ones that allow towing without damaging the car.
Thanks that’s interesting

For West Linton to Halifax (how is the witches leap at Carlops, my aunty used to always point this out when we went past, I was just a pup)

Why not download ABRP or get Electroverse (I think it’s better) and let it plan for you? It will also give you loads of alternative chargers. For example, if you can home charge at Halifax (maybe with the granny) you might be better off (cheaper, faster and better for the battery) doing 50 miles, then having a quick rapid charge, then drive all the way?

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 514 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel