London to Wales on M4?

Not unless you fancy a trip to Dundee. :)
1685183728571.png

Sadly I do (I travel about twice a year to the highlands, but todate never took the MG4), although this sept we might, the key think is that with tesla, you never have a problem with capacity or speed, in recent months I've tried normal motorway services, and its very hit & miss. Fortunately we're getting to know hidden gems just off motorway junctions (MFG, todate has also been very good to us!)

Anyone know if its possible to use tesla's destination chargers with a non-tesla
(I think the answer is here : Tesla public charging network guide : Red small signs = tesla only, white small signs = anyone)

Last edited:
I used the Crimple Hall, Harrogate chargers a week ago with a ~45% full, cold battery, and got 90kW for the first few mins. Charging to 80% took less time than to walk into the store and buy/drink a can of coke.

TL;DR - The lead on a standard Tesla Supercharger is plenty long enough for an MG4. Note that to stop the charge and release the cable, you press the button on the connector.

The trick for Tesla destination chargers is to look at the colour of the associated sign.
Tesla-Sign.jpg

White will work with an MG, red won't

I used the Crimple Hall, Harrogate chargers a week ago with a ~45% full, cold battery, and got 90kW for the first few mins. Charging to 80% took less time than to walk into the store and buy/drink a can of coke.

TL;DR - The lead on a standard Tesla Supercharger is plenty long enough for an MG4. Note that to stop the charge and release the cable, you press the button on the connector.

The trick for Tesla destination chargers is to look at the colour of the associated sign.
Tesla-Sign.jpg

White will work with an MG, red won't

Thanks for the heads up on this - both on the tesla destination clarification & the Tesla Harrogate station, if anyone is interested for those going up or down the west coast, a very good MFG (8 Bays at Junction 27 - Wigan on the M6 ), which on my SR does around 83 KW - 1/2 hr and your ready to go again! (dont forget to register your car (free) in the kiosk, as parking is limited to 30mins though (which will be the next national scandle) - its quite a strategic location, the the next one with any decent capacity is at Gretna (which as I type is currently unavailable or all 4 are in-use!)

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on this - both on the tesla destination clarification & the Tesla Harrogate station, if anyone is interested for those going up or down the west coast, a very good MFG (8 Bays at Junction 27 - Wigan on the M6 ), which on my SR does around 83 KW - 1/2 hr and your ready to go again! (dont forget to register your car (free) in the kiosk, as parking is limited to 30mins though (which will be the next national scandle) - its quite a strategic location, the the next one with any decent capacity is at Gretna (which as I type is currently unavailable or all 4 are in-use!)
Yes this facility is excellent. I used it last year when 8 was staying in a nearby hotel.

A good off-motorway tip is Booth's at Kirkby Lonsdale, about six miles off the M6 between Burton-in-Kendal and Killington Lake. Four (I think) Instavolt chargers, fast and reliable.
Thanks for this - that one could be a life saver! - as decent chargers are very sparse in the depths of Cumberland!

The other tip is using the Porsche ultra rapid system (usually only 2 bays), but if you have a shell RFID card it does work (e.g. Electric Drive 1, LA6 1FW, Carnforth).

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 514 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel