London to Wales on M4?

I tried 60mph on my first long motorway trip as I had no idea what range I'd get. It drove me barmy! On the way back I upped it to 65mph and made it home easily. On my next trip I went at 70mph and have done that ever since, with infrequent bursts above that to clear traffic.
I agree that slower might sometimes be quicker by avoiding an extra charge, but for the particular journeys I do 70mph lands me happily at chargers with plenty of battery remaining to find alternatives if needed.

For West Linton to Halifax (how is the witches leap at Carlops, my aunty used to always point this out when we went past, I was just a pup)

Why not download ABRP or get Electroverse (I think it’s better) and let it plan for you? It will also give you loads of alternative chargers. For example, if you can home charge at Halifax (maybe with the granny) you might be better off (cheaper, faster and better for the battery) doing 50 miles, then having a quick rapid charge, then drive all the way?
I find that both ABRP and Electroverse both suggest more charging stops than necessary for the trips I have tried on them. I've tried various settings in ABRP but still find my manually selected route suits me better.
I filter zapmap for 100kW+ chargers and then use Google maps to check distances. It's a pain but I find it worthwhile if I'm going to make the same journey sevral times.

That's good advice. (I saved a packet at Christmas near there by leaving the motorway just after Todhills, which was displaying insane petrol prices, and finding a wee garage about 100 yards off the slip road that was charging about 30p less per litre!)

GeniePoint seem to be the ones that need an Allstar card or Zap-Pay. I hope I have Zap-Pay sorted but we'll see. The one at Boots appears to take contactless, which is definitely a plus.

People do seem to speak favourably of the Gridserve charging stations though, and as I'm going the day after the bank holiday I'm hoping there won't be too many cars all trying to charge at once.
Last year I travelled from Sheffield to Dumfries in my Mk1 ZS EV. Rather than stop at Scotch Corner I travelled to Barnard Castle as there were some Fastned chargers at the Lidl supermarket. The upside was that there was no one else at the six chargers so I charged to 100%. The downside was that they were on the outskirts of the other side of town plus a lack of café facilities- though the supermarket was not completed when I was there.

I also stopped on the way back as it was about halfway in the journey for me.

For West Linton to Halifax (how is the witches leap at Carlops, my aunty used to always point this out when we went past, I was just a pup)

Why not download ABRP or get Electroverse (I think it’s better) and let it plan for you? It will also give you loads of alternative chargers. For example, if you can home charge at Halifax (maybe with the granny) you might be better off (cheaper, faster and better for the battery) doing 50 miles, then having a quick rapid charge, then drive all the way?

I've had the car less than a month and already it could probably drive to Carlops on its own and park itself under the witches' leap, in the wee car park, without me having to tell it. Everything that happens seems to happen in Carlops village hall.

I'll try what you say, but convenience is my main criterion this trip, so if I can charge overnight on the type 2 chargers outside my friend's house, that's what I'll do. I don't think that will be a problem for the SR battery.

I see a fair number of chargers around Halifax, it's just that mostly they're a shocking price, not simply compared to what I'm used to here, but compared to the Gridserves on the motorway! I hope that's an aberration and not a sign of things to come.

Last year I travelled from Sheffield to Dumfries in my Mk1 ZS EV. Rather than stop at Scotch Corner I travelled to Barnard Castle as...

You needed to check your eyesight, I presume?

There are 24 supercharger sites open to all in the UK. Considerably more of them on the continent. Download the Tesla app to see them. They are often a cheaper option too.
I've found them cheaper too. I use one at Adderstone on the way up to Scotland which has the benefit of a 24hr cafe at the site. Nice and quick and priced either 54p or 65p per kWh depending on time of day.

Here is the current list from the Tesla App

Attachments

• IMG_8311.jpeg
    IMG_8311.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8312.jpeg
    IMG_8312.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8313.jpeg
    IMG_8313.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8314.jpeg
    IMG_8314.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 86
Planning our first long motorway trip in our SR SE

If we leave London on a full charge hope we will get to Bristol or even over the bridge maybe Newport or Cardiff before needing stop.

Is it foolish to let the batteries go under 5% if you know there is a services coming up before you get to zero?

What happens when you get to very low battery level?

Even if you run out completely if you are going slow on the inside lane would you just coast a while on the hard shoulder and then call AA?

I’m not planning that just wondering

Also any advice on which services on the M4 motorway are tree for charging? Any little tips appreciated
Often do Cornish border to London via the M4, so a little further. From my 8,000 mile SR experience, I'd say:

Charge when you have the opportunity, not when you have to. A trip to the lav at a modern motorway rapid will probably give you 40 miles (no, don't stop every 40 miles!!).

Don't stretch a leg till nearly empty. Smaller, more frequent charges will give better progress.

Recognise that whilst every motorway svcs will have a Gridserve charger there are old single & double installations and then there are the updated sites with 6-12+ new style rapids. The old units often only manage 30kw charge rates, I've seen 70+ on the newer units.

You don't know what your max range is till the day you drive it, I've varied between 3.0 and 4.2 m/kwh despite temperature on these long trips. Forget all the driving techniques, speed etc. if the day you travel there's a howling headwind, heavy rain or both you'll get poor mileage and need to stop sooner. Research the good charging stops and avoid the off motorway single chargers, concentrate on the updated Gridserve sites with 6-12+ new CCS rapids.

A few examples, from memory:

Heston both directions
Reading svcs now both directions
Three trees farm shop just south M4 Jct 15 - 4 good Ionity rapids
Leigh Delamere currently only westbound upgraded
Severn View M48 east of bridge

Great advice! Thanks for that.

This is the main reason I'm off to Yorkshire tomorrow - to get experience managing this when the evenings are light, the weather isn't freezing, and there's a decent chance of a nice smooth run. I don't really know what the Gridserve facilities will be like until I get there, but I have three or four options in case I run into trouble.

The fact that there are brand new chargers being installed at Tebay Southbound, to open this summer, is good news for me, because there is a decent hope that these will be up-to-the-minute and adequate.

Great advice! Thanks for that.

This is the main reason I'm off to Yorkshire tomorrow - to get experience managing this when the evenings are light, the weather isn't freezing, and there's a decent chance of a nice smooth run. I don't really know what the Gridserve facilities will be like until I get there, but I have three or four options in case I run into trouble.

The fact that there are brand new chargers being installed at Tebay Southbound, to open this summer, is good news for me, because there is a decent hope that these will be up-to-the-minute and adequate.
Beware of Tebay southbound. Half a dozen new rapids there won't solve anything. It's a regular queueing spot for Teslas on the Tebay superchargers. It probably needs another 20-30 units but they can't get the power to that remote site.

Ah. Well, I'm not going to be relying on it this time anyway. Plan A is Southwaite (88 miles), plan B Killington Lake (128 miles), plan C Kirkby Lonsdale (140 miles). Kirkby Lonsdale has four Instavolt 50KW chargers in the car park and frankly if I have to go that far without a charge I will sit in that car park until one is free! I only have to drive another 55 miles after leaving Kirkby Lonsdale anyway.

1683562021269.png

I've just topped up the charge on the car and it's showing a range of 195 miles at the moment. It hasn't been on a motorway yet though! It may well change its mind once it has experienced the M74 and the M6, but it should manage 140 I would think. Tomorrow is the day after the bank holiday, I have plenty of time, so I think I should be OK.

Last edited:
Can you use all Tesla chargers on a MG4? I didnt think you could

Only at Woking and Newport also Cardiff too if you want to go a short distance off the M4

There are 24 supercharger sites open to all in the UK. Considerably more of them on the continent. Download the Tesla app to see them. They are often a cheaper option too.

Here is the current list from the Tesla App
Zap-Map users should select the Network filter and choose "Tesla Public Superchargers".
Those not available to all are listed as "Tesla-only Superchargers".

My LR would do approx 230 miles on that trip by eqiv experience.

You also need to allow a fallback scenario in case the chargers at your chosen stop are out of action. Certainly not 5% remaining.

Use the ABRP map app

Yesterday I did the 195 miles from home to Halifax with no trouble. When I started my SR was telling me it had a range of 196 miles from full. I am not stupid enough to believe it.

I stopped at Southwaite after about 80 miles. Nobody else charging (although a Tesla was parked near the chargers). By the time I had strolled to the adjacent food court and taken possession of a cheese and ham toastie the app was already showing the car above 80%. By the time I had eaten the toastie and been to the loo it was at 92% and I had plenty to reach my destination.

I checked out Killington Lake just for reference as I passed. It's probably the best stop for me on this journey (but I was hungry by Southwaite). One Tesla charging, at least three chargers free. And better food and a nicer environment. I drove on.

I checked out Kirkby Lonsdale too, four chargers, one occupied by a BMW. I boosted the car back to 95% while I shopped in Booth's for a gift for my host in Halifax. I was still too full of toastie to investigate the teashops just round the corner.

I got to my destination with 72% charge remaining. Overkill, but I wanted a buffer in case the type 2 chargers opposite my friend's house proved problematic. However, after a bit of hassle trying to see the charger screen and my phone screen in the low evening sun, and chargers that didn't take contactless and had to be paid for using the phone app (which I had fortunately downloaded in advance), I succeeded, and the car was full by the time we had had dinner and done our Duolingo lessons.

All very stress-free and reassuring. In future I'll just barrel down the M6 to Killington Lake and have a late lunch, then go all the way, knowing that Kirkby Lonsdale is there as a backup. Although I may need to watch my range for the latter at Christmas in bad weather. Just over 140 miles in an SR in freezing conditions might be on the edge.

I used the aircon in the afternoon and the car seemed to be telling me that I'd lose about 10 miles of range from a full battery if I kept it on constantly (Might be more if I had to blast it in the height of summer, or keep the heater on in freezing conditions). The aircon gave a very comfortable cabin, it's less severe than the Golf's.

It was all very reassuring and I am losing my nervousness about travelling beyond the range of the car. Although in the long term something needs to be done about the siting of motorway chargers. ICE car drivers get bright lights and a canopy sheltering from the rain and a shop with actual people in it. EV drivers get a corner of the car park, no lights and no shelter and no help within easy summoning distance. Charging in the dark in torrential rain seems likely to be a nasty experience requiring heavy duty waterproofs. I think it's only a matter of time before a lone woman EV driver is attacked at one of these places. Somehow, I think EV chargers need to be provided with the same forecourt facilities ICE drivers take for granted. Lights, shelter, and human beings within call.

Yesterday I did the 195 miles from home to Halifax with no trouble. When I started my SR was telling me it had a range of 196 miles from full. I am not stupid enough to believe it.

I stopped at Southwaite after about 80 miles. Nobody else charging (although a Tesla was parked near the chargers). By the time I had strolled to the adjacent food court and taken possession of a cheese and ham toastie the app was already showing the car above 80%. By the time I had eaten the toastie and been to the loo it was at 92% and I had plenty to reach my destination.

I checked out Killington Lake just for reference as I passed. It's probably the best stop for me on this journey (but I was hungry by Southwaite). One Tesla charging, at least three chargers free. And better food and a nicer environment. I drove on.

I checked out Kirkby Lonsdale too, four chargers, one occupied by a BMW. I boosted the car back to 95% while I shopped in Booth's for a gift for my host in Halifax. I was still too full of toastie to investigate the teashops just round the corner.

I got to my destination with 72% charge remaining. Overkill, but I wanted a buffer in case the type 2 chargers opposite my friend's house proved problematic. However, after a bit of hassle trying to see the charger screen and my phone screen in the low evening sun, and chargers that didn't take contactless and had to be paid for using the phone app (which I had fortunately downloaded in advance), I succeeded, and the car was full by the time we had had dinner and done our Duolingo lessons.

All very stress-free and reassuring. In future I'll just barrel down the M6 to Killington Lake and have a late lunch, then go all the way, knowing that Kirkby Lonsdale is there as a backup. Although I may need to watch my range for the latter at Christmas in bad weather. Just over 140 miles in an SR in freezing conditions might be on the edge.

I used the aircon in the afternoon and the car seemed to be telling me that I'd lose about 10 miles of range from a full battery if I kept it on constantly (Might be more if I had to blast it in the height of summer, or keep the heater on in freezing conditions). The aircon gave a very comfortable cabin, it's less severe than the Golf's.

It was all very reassuring and I am losing my nervousness about travelling beyond the range of the car. Although in the long term something needs to be done about the siting of motorway chargers. ICE car drivers get bright lights and a canopy sheltering from the rain and a shop with actual people in it. EV drivers get a corner of the car park, no lights and no shelter and no help within easy summoning distance. Charging in the dark in torrential rain seems likely to be a nasty experience requiring heavy duty waterproofs. I think it's only a matter of time before a lone woman EV driver is attacked at one of these places. Somehow, I think EV chargers need to be provided with the same forecourt facilities ICE drivers take for granted. Lights, shelter, and human beings within call.
Thanks for the update on your journey down to Gods own country lol. Good to know you had no problems finding chargers. As you know I head up Scotland at Christmas time. So it would be good to hear how you get on with your return journey regarding compatible charges. I have done a tentative route in Zap Map with possible charger stops but can amend if required.

Sounds like you had a good hassle free journey and I agree about the way chargers tend to be stuck out of the way in a dark corner. It's not just women who could be attacked.

4pw07x.jpg

Sounds like you had a good hassle free journey and I agree about the way chargers tend to be stuck out of the way in a dark corner. It's not just women who could be attacked.
I direct your attention to the UK group "Chargesafe" who rate chargepoints on these criteria, and campaign for improvements.

A fine tale of traveling. I agree totally about the siting of chargers etc.
I’ve been seriously mugged at a charger at night, cold, dark as sin and not a human in sight 😱
The muggers were a band of nasty Culicoides impunctatus intent on causing mayhem. I estimated around three million of them.
Be afraid, very afraid, you cannot run.

You're right, it could happen to anyone. But we all know that predatory men study to find situations where they're likely to find lone females in a vulnerable position, and charging an EV in the dark at some of these motorway service stations is a situation waiting to be discovered. If it hasn't been already.

4pw07x.jpg

I direct your attention to the UK group "Chargesafe" who rate chargepoints on these criteria, and campaign for improvements.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

A fine tale of traveling. I agree totally about the siting of chargers etc.
I’ve been seriously mugged at a charger at night, cold, dark as sin and not a human in sight 😱
The muggers were a band of nasty Culicoides impunctatus intent on causing mayhem. I estimated around three million of them.
Be afraid, very afraid, you cannot run.

Midgie net. Carry one at all times.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 514 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums