Low speed wind noise - roof bars?

I wasn’t clear there - i mean the issue noise I’m having - otherwise I find it very quiet tbh

I think I maybe have found out what the wizzle could be caused by in my case, I checked the door seals and everything looked fine in how they fit on top of eachother, but then I pulled back the the top edge and found a hole in it. The hole is exactly where I hear the wizzle come from. Now I just need to find some tape that can stick to the seal, and test it out on the road.

Attachments

• IMG_20210218_114529.jpg
    IMG_20210218_114529.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 109
Great. Love the word wizzle! Describes it so well!

Btw - i think that hole is supposed to be there 🙂

I’ve not really noticed any wizzle on mine apart from at the front of the roof area which annoyingly comes and goes 🤪

I’ve not really noticed any wizzle on mine apart from at the front of the roof area which annoyingly comes and goes 🤪
It's like the window is not all closed. It is nothing extreme, I am just sensitive to sounds, so if I could do something to stop it, then I would be a happy boy🤗

You get a bit of wizzle from the big mirrors but nothing like a window open.

It is not comming from end to end of the window, just like a small hole, I might try and find some tape that can stick to the seal. The passenger door side is having the hole placed in different places. So maybe I am just unlucky where it is placed on the driver's door. The mirrors cause very little noise I think. But they make a funny swirl with the water as Mark mentioned. I think the roof rails make a sound also, but that varies depending on wind direction, I guess that is to expect.

The holes in the door seals, are vent holes.
They allow the air to escape when the seal is compressed when the door closes.
Has anybody tried removing the arial mast.
Tesla Bjorn said that he thought the wind howel he heard, was caused by the mast on the arial.
Worth checking, it only takes a minute to unscrew it from the car, then place a piece of tape over the hole in the base plate.

Yes. I’ve tried it with my car and it’s the same. A good call though.

It is not comming from end to end of the window, just like a small hole, I might try and find some tape that can stick to the seal. The passenger door side is having the hole placed in different places. So maybe I am just unlucky where it is placed on the driver's door. The mirrors cause very little noise I think. But they make a funny swirl with the water as Mark mentioned. I think the roof rails make a sound also, but that varies depending on wind direction, I guess that is to expect.
You know that’s a very good point - maybe it is my roof bars reacting to the wind direction. I know it might sound weird but today I have not heard the noise and I have made no changes 🙂

Yes it comes and goes sometimes, yesterday I had a little when I drove in one direction, but on my way back it was gone again. It's my first car with roof bars😅

I tried to record the sound but it didn’t come out too well!

When I first got my ZS, I was surprised to see there are no rubber seals around the windscreen, just gaps, they could be prone to "wizzling" when the wind blows across them at a certain angle. It might be worth putting some tape over those gaps to eliminate them from the investigation.
My Prius has rubber seals/inserts around the screen.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom