Max charging power you had? (kW)

• Total voters

dentz2

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hello folks,

As far as I know the MG4 SR model should be able to handle 117 kW of charging power. However I almost never exceed 60-70 kW even when charging on 150 / 300 kW charging stations or Tesla superchargers

What is your experience and maximum charging power on your MG4?

Thanks!

PXL_20240414_113351767.MP~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Extended Range which is rated at a max of 144 kW.
I usually get about 90 kW. But when all planets are aligned and Intelligent Battery Heating on, I have managed to get >130 kW on enBW and others and once the magic 144 kW on an Ionity charger

The SR was advertised with 117kW charge rate, but it has never ever achieved that ... 88-90kW is the maximum anyone gets. That said, the 10-80% charge time is still achieved, even without the higher peak charge rate. That's because the lower peak charge rate is available over more of the SOC range ... the 117kW rate was only available (per graphs we've seen previously) over a very small SOC range, thus the overall average charge rate works out the same.

I've edited the title to make it clear that the OP is referring to the SR battery. The NMC batteries in the LR and Trophy models charge significantly faster, and if members with these cars participate in the poll the results are going to look quite strange.

I've seen 85 kW on my car and I've seen one or two people report 91 or 92 kW. Here is the charging curve for the SR (red line).

1713275910787.png

I have a Trophy and cast a >100kW vote before Rolfe made her post. I can't remove it so can a Mod do it please.

It should be possible for a member to change their own vote. I can't immediately see a way for a mod to do it. It will let me reset all votes or delete the poll, but not change a single vote. The OP did make set it so that people could change their minds though.

I can select another value but tapping the existing value does not remove the tick. I have selected change vote, altered it but not cast it. Perhaps that will remove the existing value.

We used a DC charger once to test it worked, so not a great sample. Gradually got up to just over 70kW, but perhaps there was limited supply. The chargers said 150kW on them but the first one we pulled up to said 70kW max on the screen.

The SR was advertised with 117kW charge rate, but it has never ever achieved that ... 88-90kW is the maximum anyone gets. That said, the 10-80% charge time is still achieved, even without the higher peak charge rate. That's because the lower peak charge rate is available over more of the SOC range ... the 117kW rate was only available (per graphs we've seen previously) over a very small SOC range, thus the overall average charge rate works out the same.
I believe they changed the advertising more recently to reduce the max rate advertised on the SR. We don't know why it doesn't reach the original expectations.

I believe they changed the advertising more recently to reduce the max rate advertised on the SR. We don't know why it doesn't reach the original expectations.

There was a suggestion that the 117 kW was more of an aspiration when the car was being developed and it wasn't possible to achieve it. The same source also said however that the 117 kW rate would only have been achieved for a very short period and that the total charging time shouldn't be much less as it actually is, because the 88 kW or whatever is maintained for a decent length of time.

Battery temperature is a significant component, plus the chargers ability to pull from the grid, and potential losses due to charging cable degradation (i.e. water cooling effectiveness)

KemPower chargers will let you know when the limitation is the grid supply, the site power sharing, or your battery’s BMS.

IMG_2350.png

IMG_2351.png

IMG_2386.png

Also bear in mind the LFP battery takes longer to warm up to the ideal 25/30 C needed for fast charging, and the intelligent battery heater only kicks in when the battery is below 10C to prevent cold-gate, not to ensure fastest possible charging speeds.

You need to do well below 10% on a cold day to see speeds of 85+ kW as the battery takes a few minutes to get to 25C and by that time your state of charge might be too high.

The pictures were taken during a charging session in north wales. Found the only CCS2 charger in the morning while temperatures were around 9C outside temperature. Battery at just under 10C within the 20 minutes it took me to drive to the charger, I didn’t preheat on purpose. As the charger was feeding 30kW to start with at around 5% charge (it was a slow charger rated at 40kW) the battery took over 20 minutes to reach 15C (I started monitoring a bit late in the charging process) at which point the charger was charging at 40kW which was its maximum rating but the SoC was only 35%

IMG_2417.png

IMG_2418.png

IMG_2420.jpeg

IMG_2426.jpeg

Last edited:
I've edited the title to make it clear that the OP is referring to the SR battery. The NMC batteries in the LR and Trophy models charge significantly faster, and if members with these cars participate in the poll the results are going to look quite strange.

I've seen 85 kw on my car and I've seen one or two people report 91 or 92 kw. Here is the charging curve for the SR (red line).

View attachment 25776

Yes I also think that there is a significant difference between the LR / SR model due to the different battery type.

Anyway the idea of the poll was not to do a scientific study but to add to the engagement of users here.

Thanks!

Our experience is that its to do with the charger make / brand and SoC and to how it synchronises between the charger & car, rather than anything else (albeit on the basic LFP MG4), I find that Tesla v4 are slow whatever (less than 50kW), Tesla v3 are better (70+ kW). The fastest are MFG & Fastned at 88kW, gridserve (350kW = fastned = slower <50kW).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel