stevemac1980

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We have an MG however we have a very strange issue.

The car refuses to charge at home but charges everywhere else however.....it charges everywhere else but....everyone else's electric car works on our charger and standard plug charger.

MG said cables were corroded but they are not and work elsewhere. Electrics in the house have been checked, charger has been changed, reset, new charge berry fitted, removed, re added.

HELP!!!

Hi, is this the Granny unit that came with the car, if so have you tried it on another property?

Yes, tried all the cables elsewhere and they all work as they should. It's like the car has blocked the charge from our house

We have an MG however we have a very strange issue.

The car refuses to charge at home but charges everywhere else however.....it charges everywhere else but....everyone else's electric car works on our charger and standard plug charger.

MG said cables were corroded but they are not and work elsewhere. Electrics in the house have been checked, charger has been changed, reset, new charge berry fitted, removed, re added.

HELP!!!
You need to just run through methodically alternate options until you hit the issue.
We need more information on how you are charging at home as well. Dedicated wall box - tethered or untethered? Three pin charger? Try rebooting the wallbox. Also check and change the status of your car when trying to charge - is it locked/open/on/off etc look at scheduling and any associated wall box app or in car settings etc

We've done everything you've mentioned. Different cables, different plug chargers, works on the house next door and their car works on our chargers.

Well, that’s a mystery. What wall box do you have? Is it tethered?

Also, when was the wall box installed? Did it work after installation and was It tested then for compatibility etc? If your 3 pin charger works on other power sockets there is no reason that I can think of that it should not work on a socket at your home.

Does the wall box show any errors like earth or over voltage?
Your next door neighbour won't be on the same supply phase as you.

What's the incoming supply voltage from your DNO? Some inverters will not work if this is too high i.e. above 253V. This is a common problem with solar power inverters.

240v incoming, that's all been tested.

Box is cable insert. Used different cables, same result. MG doesn't charge but other cars do

Unit says car rejected charge but works everywhere else from 3 pin to supercharger

Do you any power line internet extenders connected in your house? The signals from these can also sometimes cause issues.

So, just to clarify.
Your wall box or your Granny unit will NOT charge your MG at your own property.
But your Granny unit works fine at the next door property with their car AND yours !.
Your car charges fine from any public charging posts either A/C or D/C.
Your wall box has been replaced also.
The issue is at house then !.
Disconnect them internet extenders !.

It's almost as though the car is geo-fenced so as to charge everywhere but at your home location. Is there a setting for that I wonder?

Some cars do have geofencing capability for charging - one of my cars a Kia Soul does for example. Although I feel it‘s unlikely to be the cause in your case. Have you been able to try someone else’s MG on your home wall box?
As I asked before - has the wall box ever worked with your MG? Did it work when first installed?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom