MG ZS EV Charging via granny charger and outside socket only ?????????

JohnnyBgood

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi there,
Met a couple in the garden centre car park who had a 22’ Trophy ZS EV.
When we asked why Charger they had, they replied that they have charged from a outside 2 pin socket with their granny charger ever since they got it, and only charge on public chargers when needed.

What are people’s thoughts on charging in Granny chargers only.
If Granny chargers and sockets can do it easily why spend thousands of £’s on proper home chargers????

I don’t have a home pod charger and just use the granny charger at home occasionally, but I prefer to charge on a pod at work as it’s convenient and at 7kW it’s a bit quicker. The cost on the work pod is the same as I pay for day time electric at home, would be cheaper at home at night but would have to leave a window open overnight which I don’t intend risking. So basically I could charge with granny charger full time at home but prefer not to. I’m slowly getting used to all the different public chargers 🙄.

Last edited by a moderator:
My SR 52kW battery would take about 24 hour to charge from near flat which is inconvenient for me as the car is used daily. My home podpoint will always have the car ready on an overnight charge.

It depends on your personal circumstances if you can make it work with just the granny and save a wedge of cash.

It’s better for the battery lifespan to do a slow trickle charge with an ordinary plug.

I just charge overnight an extension lead out the window a few times a week.

We set it to charge for several hours at the cheapest electric prices at night.

My only other thought is that you might need to install an EVSE in order to get a really cheap off-peak tariff from your electricity supplier. I use my washer and dishwasher on their delay start functions to also take advantage of cheaper leccy, and can run other electrical items directly from the car during the daytime. I know the EVSE is still a big outlay, but for safety, speed and convenience, I felt it was worth it.

Hi there,
Met a couple in the garden centre car park who had a 22’ Trophy ZS EV.
When we asked why Charger they had, they replied that they have charged from a outside 2 pin socket with their granny charger ever since they got it, and only charge on public chargers when needed.

What are people’s thoughts on charging in Granny chargers only.
If Granny chargers and sockets can do it easily why spend thousands of £’s on proper home chargers????
If your daily mileage is low and the granny is used on a dedicate new socket then go for it.
A 7kW EVSE will get the job done 3 times quicker and it gives you the option of making use of a cheap overnight tariff.

My only other thought is that you might need to install an EVSE in order to get a really cheap off-peak tariff from your electricity supplier. I use my washer and dishwasher on their delay start functions to also take advantage of cheaper leccy, and can run other electrical items directly from the car during the daytime. I know the EVSE is still a big outlay, but for safety, speed and convenience, I felt it was worth it.

Yes this MG4 with a simple £29 adapter for V2L is a game changer.

With the cost of living crisis charge your car at night and run the house from the car in the daytime

Yea but you’d be amazed how much people spend on a Tesla powerwall

Go for an M4 for not all that much more and get the car all around it🤣

Power your house from the car and free internet unlimited data so saving bills all round

Yea but you’d be amazed how much people spend on a Tesla powerwall

Go for an M4 for not all that much more and the car all around it🤣
You better off buying an old Nissan with V2H run your house properly

free internet unlimited data
Is it unlimited on the 4 ? originally it had 1Gig cap

5 years free internet is great saving £20 month
In January I managed to get a sim from RWG Mobile which, for a £15 one off payment gives me 100 minutes of free calls a monthe, 100 free texts and 750MB of data, all renewed every month and all for the one off payment. :) (Deal's ended now . . . I was going to get another one as a spare)

Being retired we don't have a commute or use the car every day & I mostly charge at the 10amp setting on my Fenkee variable charger, It has the option of charging at 10A,16A,20A,24A or 32A, Cost me £162 off Aliexpress over two years ago.

53nAWwll.jpg

Using the house wiring, and outside plugs is using the domestic system to the limit. With my first EV, a Citroen Zero, In the four years that I charged it on the granny charger, I got through several plugs, and one outside socket, through overheating. So I suggest you keep an eye on that, I found it eventually got difficult to put the plug in the socket and to remove it.

Takes time to distort, so not an immediate hazard, but think if its heats up this end of the system, its probably heating up wires inside the house...

As said, depending on battery state etc, it can take over 24 hours to charge...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom