MG ZS EV Charging via granny charger and outside socket only ?????????

The MG granny EVSE is set at 10A but you can get others that you can set the current at 6A, 8A and 10A

Sorry for being a newbie but what is granny please

So I can charge my MG4 cheapest one lowest spec from a normal 3 pin plug but it will only be a very slow trickle charge?

Is it ok to just use a cheap extension lead out the window and trickle charge
As long as it's rated for the current, no problem. :)

For some reason it's what the portable charger with the 3 pin plug on it is called. :)

Being retired we don't have a commute or use the car every day & I mostly charge at the 10amp setting on my Fenkee variable charger, It has the option of charging at 10A,16A,20A,24A or 32A, Cost me £162 off Aliexpress over two years ago.

53nAWwll.jpg
I'm waiting for my Green Rock variable current charger to arrive. My old Hyundai one used to have 3 settings ideal for solar trickle charging, but the MG one is fixed amperage.

A charger you plug into a three pin plug socket ( or twonpin if in other countries). Its called a 'Granny' by virtue of the fact that if you went to visit your Granny and she had no 7 kw charge point then you could use one of these 'Granny' chargers to charge your car whilst there.

Is it ok to just use a cheap extension lead out the window and trickle charge
I would avoid cheap extension leads as they may not use the correct spec cable which is very important when carrying 10amps for a prolonged period. Toughleads always come highly recommended. Also make sure you fully uncoil the extension lead as leaving any part of it coiled will lead to it overheating. You also need to bear in mind that you loose the overheating protection in the plug so keep a close eye on it for the first few charges to make sure the socket is up to it.

Using the house wiring, and outside plugs is using the domestic system to the limit. With my first EV, a Citroen Zero, In the four years that I charged it on the granny charger, I got through several plugs, and one outside socket, through overheating. So I suggest you keep an eye on that, I found it eventually got difficult to put the plug in the socket and to remove it.

Takes time to distort, so not an immediate hazard, but think if its heats up this end of the system, its probably heating up wires inside the house...

As said, depending on battery state etc, it can take over 24 hours to charge...
The MG mode 2 charger "granny" is limited to 10A for this reason, most marque supplied chargers are 13A rated which is the issue as UK outlets and plugs aren't rated for 13A continuous but 10A is fine unless there a fault or high resistance connection on the system already.

Have had the car for a month and only charged it from the included charger, no issues except for tripping the sockets when cooking dinner ... hence why I'm putting in a dedicated plug/breaker for it

It gets 8-16hrs of available charging time through the night most days and gets topped up on the weekends. Daily commutes are only 80-120kms so hasn't really been an issue. If going for a longer drive we take our primitive diesel instead.

So the MG4 doesn’t come with a granny charger? You have to buy it? The cheapest one I’ve seen is about £20 something or is it worth buying a better quality one?

If your daily mileage is low and the granny is used on a dedicate new socket then go for it.
A 7kW EVSE will get the job done 3 times quicker and it gives you the option of making use of a cheap overnight tariff.
Unless you are doing more than 80 miles a day (560 miles a week!) you should have no issue just charging over night (12 hours) on a granny charger. I think its a common myth that you need a 7kW charger to own an EV. Also, if you are on Intelligent Octopus tariff its actually more beneficial to charge with a granny charger than a 7kW since it gives you a bigger off peak rate time period for the whole electricity supply to the house.

If your daily mileage is low and the granny is used on a dedicate new socket then go for it.

A 7kW EVSE will get the job done 3 times quicker and it gives you the option of making use of a cheap overnight tariff.
Why do you need a dedicated new socket?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are doing more than 80 miles a day (560 miles a week!) you should have no issue just charging over night (12 hours) on a granny charger. I think its a common myth that you need a 7kW charger to own an EV. Also, if you are on Intelligent Octopus tariff its actually more beneficial to charge with a granny charger than a 7kW since it gives you a bigger off peak rate time period for the whole electricity supply to the house.
I’m with Bulb but as they’ve folded we’ve moving over the Octopus. I didn’t know this. What are the rates? Bulb’s cheap off peak is only 2am to 6am so although a granny charger is possible, the car really needs to be plugged in every night.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom