MG ZS EV Charging via granny charger and outside socket only ?????????

I live in France, ZS v1, low usage 17k km in 19 months.
I plug into ordinary wall socket with cable coming out under the garage door.
However I take advantage of off peak charges by plugging into a socket which works on a timer. (Konyks is the make but lots of others available from Amazon etc and it only cost 20€).
Important to check that the socket can carry the power!!!!
Unit kW cost difference 6 cents

I live in France, ZS v1, low usage 17k km in 19 months.
I plug into ordinary wall socket with cable coming out under the garage door.
However I take advantage of off peak charges by plugging into a socket which works on a timer. (Konyks is the make but lots of others available from Amazon etc and it only cost 20€).
Important to check that the socket can carry the power!!!!
Unit kW cost difference 6 cents
I would not use a plug in socket timer to switch the power off as it can cause voltage spikes which can damage the on board inverter. Always let the car stop the charge before disconnecting from the supply.

Hi there,
Met a couple in the garden centre car park who had a 22’ Trophy ZS EV.
When we asked why Charger they had, they replied that they have charged from a outside 2 pin socket with their granny charger ever since they got it, and only charge on public chargers when needed.

What are people’s thoughts on charging in Granny chargers only.
If Granny chargers and sockets can do it easily why spend thousands of £’s on proper home chargers????
I am using a 10 year old Podpoint Charger I had fitted for my Nissan Leaf. I bought an adaptor to enable the MG to be plugged into it. The Podpiont only supplies 3KW and I try to use the energy from our solar panels whenever possible. For long trips it charges up fine overnight to 100%. The Leaf is now relogated to its granny charger plugged into an outside 13amp socket this is also fine. Dont be spending loads on fancy 7KW chargers if you dont mind the car charging overnight. If you have Solar it may be worth looking at the zappie which can be set to charge only when the panels are generating. I also use the same adaptor with a Power cable I bought fro the Leaf when using untethered car park chargers this also works fine. So the only investment was the adaptor from type 1 to type 2.

If you can’t park on a driveway right outside your home what are the laws about running an extension lead over a public footpath with a Matt over it?

Check with your local council.

Amazon product ASIN B0B6GK492G
"Cables should be laid flat and never be extended from an upper storey to a vehicle, nor should they be hung from any street furniture including lamp columns or trees.

A cable should only be placed over the footway when the vehicle is charging and should always be removed when not in use.

The cable protector should be non-slip, have contrasting colour markings e.g. yellow, have anti-trip sloped sides, and be of a tough construction suitable for outdoors use."

Hi there,
Met a couple in the garden centre car park who had a 22’ Trophy ZS EV.
When we asked why Charger they had, they replied that they have charged from a outside 2 pin socket with their granny charger ever since they got it, and only charge on public chargers when needed.

What are people’s thoughts on charging in Granny chargers only.
If Granny chargers and sockets can do it easily why spend thousands of £’s on proper home chargers????
I did that for a while and to be honest I can do that for as long as I can , however I made an investment on installation of new charger .

We charge using a Zappi to use surplus power from our Solar panels. We also can schedule overnight charging on cheap electricity on the Octopus Go tariff. You need an Octopus smart meter to do that.

I did that for a while and to be honest I can do that for as long as I can , however I made an investment on installation of new charger .
While visiting my Mum for a few days I ran an extention lead out of the window and used the charger that way. We have two electric cars one is always charged from a 13 amp outside plug which I installed myself the other is using a 10 year old podpoint tethered charger. both work fine. I dont see the point in using an expensive charger unless its a zappie or similar that links to solar panels. we have solar and turn on the chargers when the panels are generating enough power.

Last edited:
I dont see the point in using an expensive charger unless its a zappie or similar that links to solar panels.

The advantage is that you are getting over twice the speed (7kw) which is actually a significant difference if you want to top up in the middle of the day to go back out again (and if you have something like Octopus Go where you only have a 4 hour slot to get back to 100%).

The other advantage is that you don't have cables trailing around like in your example.

The other advantage is that with it being a permanent install, there's lower chance of something iffy happening Vs being on a standard household 13amp circuit over long periods.

The advantage is that you are getting over twice the speed (7kw) which is actually a significant difference if you want to top up in the middle of the day to go back out again (and if you have something like Octopus Go where you only have a 4 hour slot to get back to 100%).

The other advantage is that you don't have cables trailing around like in your example.

The other advantage is that with it being a permanent install, there's lower chance of something iffy happening Vs being on a standard household 13amp circuit over long periods
Every situation is different. I was simply pointing out that its not essential to install a home charger.

Every situation is different. I was simply pointing out that its not essential to install a home charger.
This is true but proper install home charger is considered the safest long-term solution not only for the long-term continuous use but also if there's a defect if there is DC leakage this can stop your normal fuses from tripping also most fuses in houses aren't double pole so cant isolate the neutral wire and don't forget the important pen fault detection

Last edited:
EVM raises some very good points on the risks associated with using appliances etc on time of day tariff.
At about 7 minutes 40 seconds into the the video, he speaks plainly about his feelings on the regular use of charging EV’s via a thee pin socket.
It’s worth a watch, as are all of his videos.

Sure, but you did say you "didn't see the point" 😉
Thanks Bodgex I thought this forum was for chatting and helping each other not scoring points. I am happy to be corrected by those who have more knowledge and experience than me. Please dont spoil this very helpful forum by putting the rest of us down it just puts me off posting anything. I am saying no more on this subject.

Last edited:
Thanks Bodgex I thought this forum was for chatting and helping each other not scoring points. I am happy to be corrected by those who have more knowledge and experience than me. Please dont spoil this very helpful forum by putting the rest of us down it just puts me off posting anything. I am saying no more on this subject.
Wasn't my intention, sorry you feel that way.

"Is it ok to just use a cheap extension lead out the window and trickle charge?"

As a rule, cheap extension leads are never OK. You may find friends scoff at paying £25 or more for a 4 gang lead on the basis that theirs never had a problem, but the one that does can spell the end of your house or even life.
Trickle charging may be OK , Cheap extensions Not!

My only other thought is that you might need to install an EVSE in order to get a really cheap off-peak tariff from your electricity supplier. I use my washer and dishwasher on their delay start functions to also take advantage of cheaper leccy, and can run other electrical items directly from the car during the daytime. I know the EVSE is still a big outlay, but for safety, speed and convenience, I felt it was worth it.
I have recently started using the V2L function on my MGZS EV TROPHY CONNECT, but the only problem I have found is that the headlights on the car are on when I am using it to power an appliance in my home? Also , if I lock the car , the discharging stops.
I have the latest software updates.
How do you get round these issues, Susanna?

I have the same issues - I have heard that the latest updates should allow the car to be stopped and locked after V2L has been actioned, but my dealer told me that there was no such update when I collected my car last November.

I keep my car in my garage, so security is not a problem for me, however, I would still prefer not to have to leave everything turned on.

Hopefully, this situation will be resolved for us all, in time.

I have the same issues - I have heard that the latest updates should allow the car to be stopped and locked after V2L has been actioned, but my dealer told me that there was no such update when I collected my car last November.

I keep my car in my garage, so security is not a problem for me, however, I would still prefer not to have to leave everything turned on.

Hopefully, this situation will be resolved for us all, in time.
Thanks , I wondered if I was doing something wrong with the set up.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom