MG ZS EV Facelift - Press Launch 11/11/21

Many thanks Miles did notice the Shark fin Aerial was missing !!

Last edited:
Can the MG ZS automatically route you to charging units along a pre selected route when the HV battery is low, like a Tesla?
No, although it does have the chargers as POI in the nav, so you can search for nearest one manually.
There's reference to a front/rear interior light switch in the manual, does it actually have a rear interior light ?
I noticed there is a bar style indicator in the charging port in some YouTube videos, is this a battery level indicator and does the car have an indicator to show if it's balancing, like the steady lit badge on the Gen 1 ?
No rear interior lights. The bar indicator next to the charge port is in 4 sections, each for 25% charge level increments. When balancing, all are lit.
Hi Miles, is the three pin (granny) charger included. Is the rear window tinted. Do you need to buy an adapter to do vehicle to load. Does the SE have a parking camera or just the rear sensors. Thanks very much-enjoy.:)
Granny charger is included (in UK market). Windows are lightly tinted all round.
All of the cars are capable of V2L, but you need to buy the adapter separately (price not revealed yet). SE gets 360 cameras and rear sensors.
Hi Miles,
Is Heat pump fitted ?
Nope
Where is blind spot indicator light. On mirror or on door panel. Which, if any windows are tinted
On mirror. All windows have a light tint.
At risk of crossposting whilst I'm writing this and repeating things you may have already been asked, I'd love to know:
  • Is UK version going to have the shark fin antenna?
  • Parking sensors at the front or just the camera?
  • Is there a heat-pump on this one?
  • Is there rear passenger lighting?
  • Are any of the windows tinted and if so, exactly which ones?
  • Will there be a diamond cut alloy option? (Or I'd at least like to know what the wheels look like under those plastic covers)
  • Regen on ACC?
  • What exactly comes with the 'Connect'. Is it something that can be added later if you say went for only Trophy now? Or is it factory fit only?
  • Will the sat nav include advanced mapping so you can locate chargers etc and know their working status?
  • More details about the iSmart would be great in general. Pre-heating ect.
  • Exactly what leads are included? I presume the standard Grandma one
  • If I understand correctly, when your range gets low you only see dashes currently - will it now show an estimate of miles left?
  • Ground clearance. I can't see that on their site
  • Have they made any changes to the suspension set-up?
  • Can steering wheel now be adjusted for reach as well as rake?

And although I know this'll probably be for a future, do they ever plan to let people add options? For example on this car I'd select diamond cut alloys, driver seat memory & auto-dimming rear-view mirror.

Thanks Miles! Really hope you enjoy the day :)
Our test car had regular aerial, not shark fin.
Just 360 cameras, no front sensors.
No heat pump
No rear passenger lights
All windows have a light tint
No alloy option. These wheel trims wouldn't come off with my bare hands in the car park, so couldn't take a photo of them without. Will check on PDI of demo.
No regen on ACC.
Connect is Factory Fit only. Gets Live traffic, Live POI searches, Amazon Music streaming, Weather updates. For lifetime of the vehicle, doesn't need a subscription.
Nav has chargepoints as POI, but not live status.
iSmart can do everything you'd expect. Couldn't demo, as cars need registering to the phones etc, and not possible in 3hr test drive.
Granny charger included (plus Type2 if you order from Chorley Group and quote this forum!)
Didn't get battery below 68%, so can't confirm what happens at low SOC.
Suspension feels different, but no indication of spring rate changes etc.
Steering adjust is rake only.
Hi miles, simple one, will the mats be the same for the new MG or do they have special ones since it’s a new model?
Have a super day tomorrow.
Same mats AFAIK. No changes to footwells.
Any seat memory functions for multiple user setups?
Nope
Hi Miles,

Many thanks for all your work on the podcats and keeping us up to date with developments. Enjoy your day in the big city tomorrow.

My query is about the 50kw version - when will that be coming and price points please.

Many thanks
Pricing for 51kWh Standard Range version will be revealed Q1 22.
What do the alloy wheels look like without the covers?
Dunno, couldn't get the bloody things off. I did try! 😂
  • Could you please measure the boot dimensions between the wheel arches and front-to-back measurement of the boot at base cover level to see if a folding wheelchair will fit?
  • Are there any pre-paid servicing packages available?
  • Can Software updates be carried out over wi-fi rather than taking the vehicle to the dealers?
  • Is there space for a space saver wheel?
  • Is there a charging network subscription included / available similar to Hyundai Flex?
  • Is there a battery heating/cooling system to improve efficiency and charging?
Enjoy your day...
Boot is same as original version. I didn't have a tape measure with me.
Servicing packages available from dealership.
All models have Over the Air updates now (although with the caveat that if something big changes, it may still need to go into a dealership)
Space Saver Wheel as per original version is an option.
No charge network subscription included. With 270+ miles range, you'll probably charge at home 99% of the time anyway (unless you can't charge at home!).
There is a battery heater (software select in the infotainment). Liquid cooling as before.
what exactly is included in the connect package?
Live traffic, Live POI searches, Amazon Music streaming, Weather updates. For lifetime of the vehicle, doesn't need a subscription.

Hi morning,

Thanks for asking question from the public.

I like to know more about the infotainment system. HAS IT BEEN UPDATED OR RECODED?

I have the ZS EV and it's the most annoying thing. Keep shutting off when using Android Auto both wire and wireless.

At times it's a safety issue for me trying to get somewhere and all of sudden it shuts off. I retying to maneuver in an area I don't know trying to restart system to see where I am going.

Have a good day. Hope to hear more info on Podcast on Monday.
Completely new system. Works much better. Although with just 3hrs to drive and film, I didn't get to connect Android Auto for long enough to see if it crashes at all
Whats the price of the V2L adapter ?
Unknown at this stage, I'd imagine under £200.

Thank you for your efforts and those of the videographer in getting the video up on YT so quickly.
Your enthusiasm for the product is infectious. I have just ordered a blue model connect from Chorley and I am sure many others have or will do the same.

Great to hear so much info about the new ZS. I have a reservation on a Trophy. I have just found out though that we can get a LR MG5 on the affinity scheme for £6k less than the ZS. My dilemma is whether the ZS is worth the extra? Only reasons for ZS would be maybe tow bar and V2L for camping and coming from a Leaf Tekna the 360 camera is really useful.

Hopefully a test drive will answer these questions for me.

No, although it does have the chargers as POI in the nav, so you can search for nearest one manually.

No rear interior lights. The bar indicator next to the charge port is in 4 sections, each for 25% charge level increments. When balancing, all are lit.

Granny charger is included (in UK market). Windows are lightly tinted all round.
All of the cars are capable of V2L, but you need to buy the adapter separately (price not revealed yet). SE gets 360 cameras and rear sensors.

Nope

On mirror. All windows have a light tint.

Our test car had regular aerial, not shark fin.
Just 360 cameras, no front sensors.
No heat pump
No rear passenger lights
All windows have a light tint
No alloy option. These wheel trims wouldn't come off with my bare hands in the car park, so couldn't take a photo of them without. Will check on PDI of demo.
No regen on ACC.
Connect is Factory Fit only. Gets Live traffic, Live POI searches, Amazon Music streaming, Weather updates. For lifetime of the vehicle, doesn't need a subscription.
Nav has chargepoints as POI, but not live status.
iSmart can do everything you'd expect. Couldn't demo, as cars need registering to the phones etc, and not possible in 3hr test drive.
Granny charger included (plus Type2 if you order from Chorley Group and quote this forum!)
Didn't get battery below 68%, so can't confirm what happens at low SOC.
Suspension feels different, but no indication of spring rate changes etc.
Steering adjust is rake only.

Same mats AFAIK. No changes to footwells.

Nope

Pricing for 51kWh Standard Range version will be revealed Q1 22.

Dunno, couldn't get the bloody things off. I did try! 😂

Boot is same as original version. I didn't have a tape measure with me.
Servicing packages available from dealership.
All models have Over the Air updates now (although with the caveat that if something big changes, it may still need to go into a dealership)
Space Saver Wheel as per original version is an option.
No charge network subscription included. With 270+ miles range, you'll probably charge at home 99% of the time anyway (unless you can't charge at home!).
There is a battery heater (software select in the infotainment). Liquid cooling as before.

Live traffic, Live POI searches, Amazon Music streaming, Weather updates. For lifetime of the vehicle, doesn't need a subscription.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I really do appreciate it - especially as I was that person who has a spreadsheet/laundry list always ready to go. Good to know connect is factory fit - I will have to crunch some numbers on aforementioned spreadsheet 😅.

I was hoping for reach adjustment, but I guess that'll be on a future version or on the pricier Marvel if we ever get it.

Coulomb, you're the man I think who may be able to give a technical reason for the different power output from the motor dependant on the battery voltage....?
Presumably, both standard range and long range will use the same controller. The controller will have a current limit, and obviously its voltage limit will accommodate the higher voltage of the two packs.

As Miles has already mentioned, the power into the motor is basically volts times amps. Yes, it's 3-phase AC, but we can think about power on the battery side, which will be the same as the motor side except for small losses. So the motor power limit will be the pack voltage times the current limit (on the battery side). The higher the pack voltage for the same current, the higher the power. That's assuming that the battery pack can handle the full motor power, but with the battery capacity as large as it is, there is unlikely (but possibly) a limit due to the battery specifications.

We've noted before how the battery voltage in the European videos was lower than we're used to seeing. At the time, I speculated that this is because they might have chosen LFP chemistry for the standard range pack, but now I'm wondering if the lower voltage pack is the Long Range model. That means that they would have had to reconfigure the number of cells per module if it's still a 9-module (3x3) configuration. That doesn't seem impossible. Perhaps there are now 10 cells per module, instead of the present 12. That would mean a 10/12x battery voltage, or 83.3%, so a maximum charge voltage of some 375 V max. That might work out better with other components that are designed for the low-400s of volts for other EVs; the MG always was a bit of an outlier with ~450 V. The available LFP cells (again, guessing) for the standard range model might have happened to come closer to the magic 400 V mark. Using the ratio of the mentioned motor powers: 130/115 x 375 = 424 V (maximum pack voltage).

[ Edit: despite all this, the reason for the fewer cells is likely to be that with the available cell sizes, 108 cells as we have now would simply have been too heavy and bulky. ]

Where are the technical manuals? 🤓

[ Edit: fixed a few gaffs. ]

I have another quick question, not necessarily for Miles, but anyone who knows. Does the over the air updates, update the maps, road changes, and most importantly charge points POI's. Obviously, and hopefully, these may be changing almost weekly.

I have another quick question, not necessarily for Miles, but anyone who knows. Does the over the air updates, update the maps, road changes, and most importantly charge points POI's. Obviously, and hopefully, these may be changing almost weekly.
Yes, but I don't know how frequently.

Hi miles, ordered a new ZS EV at chorley recently. The trophy version, can I turn in the heater and AC with the app, or is that only trophy connect? Thanks for the fab video

Thank you Miles, great video, especially as done on the hoof (complete with church bells). Going through the list of queries on this thread and answering each in turn is extremely helpful too as you can't possibly squeeze all that detail into a short video. Look forward to the demo cars arriving.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom