MG ZS EV Facelift - Test drives

Foun
Thanks @Sam Luscombe .
The few people who have had test drives say the suspension fells different, but can offer no explanation why this is ?.
I believe that the car is still running on the same set up as the Gen1 version, so I can only come to the conclusion that it is the extra weight that makes it feel different ?.
When looking at both the Gen1 and Gen2 models and comparison, the face lift model goes look a slightly lower ride height ?.
I also think this down to the increased weight of the car.
Also, the Gen2 face lift model has a different electric drive motor that delivers the same power, but in a slightly more linear way,
Also, motor whine has been removed and therefore the cabin SHOULD be more silent.
What are your thoughts on both of these subjects Sam ?.
Thanks for taking the time to post.
Any feedback comparing both models on a back to back basis will be gratefully received.
Many t

Thanks @Sam Luscombe .
The few people who have had test drives say the suspension fells different, but can offer no explanation why this is ?.
I believe that the car is still running on the same set up as the Gen1 version, so I can only come to the conclusion that it is the extra weight that makes it feel different ?.
When looking at both the Gen1 and Gen2 models and comparison, the face lift model goes look a slightly lower ride height ?.
I also think this down to the increased weight of the car.
Also, the Gen2 face lift model has a different electric drive motor that delivers the same power, but in a slightly more linear way,
Also, motor whine has been removed and therefore the cabin SHOULD be more silent.
What are your thoughts on both of these subjects Sam ?.
Thanks for taking the time to post.
Any feedback comparing both models on a back to back basis will be gratefully received.
Many thanks 🙏.
Found your first look video very informative thanks. I'm looking forward to your drive video.

Tested my second new ZS this morning. After a test drive mid-week at a different dealer, today I thought I would fiddle with the drive settings etc. I found the difference between Sport and Normal modes quite marked. Sport mode was definitely sporty!

I also jiggled with the Kers - I didn't try Eco but there is quite a big difference between 2 and 3. I think I would probably default it to 3 for my taste.

On both test drives I found the suspension really comfortable, and the driver height position good. I currently drive a Jag X-Type so my backside is almost on the road.

Can't yet decide on the Trophy or Trophy Connect but my order will go in on Monday.:)

It'll be interesting to see if the perceived difference in the suspension is just due to the components being new and it will feel like the current version once it beds in.

I did a 30 mile test drive today in terrible weather conditions on a mix of roads and comfortably achieved 3.6 Miles per KW (I achieved 4 mile per KW in my Ioniq to and from the dealership which is down from my cumulative average of 4.9). The new ZS felt better to drive than the original ZS EV. The first thing I noticed was the noticeable improvement in seat comfort. The drive itself I found was smoother, less 'bouncy', more 'planted' on the road and definitely much quieter than the original ZS EV. Its not quite the 'car-like' driving experience of our MG5 but pretty close, much closer than the first gen ZS EV. This is an SUV style car though so it is to be expected to some extent. A number of things I noted were:

• A USB socket near the rear view mirror (suitable for a dash cam perhaps)
  • Cruise control definitely doesn't use regen braking to reduce speed, unlike the MG5
  • Heater controls beneath the touchscreen are welcome (you're not solely reliant on the touchscreen - unlike a Tesla)
  • General fit and finish feels like an upgrade on the original model
  • The trim and finish in the boot area looked a little neater and more premium
  • Touchscreen/infotainment system display was responsive and easy to use - some ability to configure the display might have been useful
  • Digital dashboard/speedo were good and displayed all of the information you're likely to need and some information you may or may not be too interested in.

It would have been nice to be able to toggle the central section of the digital dashboard display to something other than the energy system (i.e. Motor Speed/Voltage/Current), for example the real-time and average miles per KW, driving efficiency or some other user configurable options - I am being picky but I think the default energy display option might becoming irritating for some and a wasted opportunity to let drivers choose something more meaningful to them.

Overall, I was impressed with the new ZS EV. Perhaps not as blown away as I thought I would be and maybe that's because of the anticipation that had been building. However, factor in the huge increase in range and the added bonus of a better infotainment system, smartphone app, improved drive quality and reduction in noise and this is, in my opinion, a significant and worthwhile upgrade to the original ZS EV.

For context, we owned a ZS EV for just over a year and recently traded it in for an MG5 LR. We also own an Ioniq EV and have previously owned a BMW i3.

I did a 30 mile test drive today in terrible weather conditions on a mix of roads and comfortably achieved 3.6 Miles per KW (I achieved 4 mile per KW in my Ioniq to and from the dealership which is down from my cumulative average of 4.9). The new ZS felt better to drive than the original ZS EV. The first thing I noticed was the noticeable improvement in seat comfort. The drive itself I found was smoother, less 'bouncy', more 'planted' on the road and definitely much quieter than the original ZS EV. Its not quite the 'car-like' driving experience of our MG5 but pretty close, much closer than the first gen ZS EV. This is an SUV style car though so it is to be expected to some extent. A number of things I noted were:

• A USB socket near the rear view mirror (suitable for a dash cam perhaps)
  • Cruise control definitely doesn't use regen braking to reduce speed, unlike the MG5
  • Heater controls beneath the touchscreen are welcome (you're not solely reliant on the touchscreen - unlike a Tesla)
  • General fit and finish feels like an upgrade on the original model
  • The trim and finish in the boot area looked a little neater and more premium
  • Touchscreen/infotainment system display was responsive and easy to use - some ability to configure the display might have been useful
  • Digital dashboard/speedo were good and displayed all of the information you're likely to need and some information you may or may not be too interested in.

It would have been nice to be able to toggle the central section of the digital dashboard display to something other than the energy system (i.e. Motor Speed/Voltage/Current), for example the real-time and average miles per KW, driving efficiency or some other user configurable options - I am being picky but I think the default energy display option might becoming irritating for some and a wasted opportunity to let drivers choose something more meaningful to them.

Overall, I was impressed with the new ZS EV. Perhaps not as blown away as I thought I would be and maybe that's because of the anticipation that had been building. However, factor in the huge increase in range and the added bonus of a better infotainment system, smartphone app, improved drive quality and reduction in noise and this is, in my opinion, a significant and worthwhile upgrade to the original ZS EV.

For context, we owned a ZS EV for just over a year and recently traded it in for an MG5 LR. We also own an Ioniq EV and have previously owned a BMW i3.
Was this test at Bulldog in Twyford? That's where I have booked. Just wondering what the test car spec and colour is? Is there more than one too?

It'll be interesting to see if the perceived difference in the suspension is just due to the components being new and it will feel like the current version once it beds in.
Just returned from a test drive in a Battersea Blue Trophy Connect.
Hard to put into words really, but the face lift just feels different from the "Get Go" somehow.
After driving our current Gen1 model for almost two years and over 16,000 miles, you can feel the new model is more planted.
It feels more rigid and less floaty, the steering feels more connected and more direct.
I does not give me the impression it will feel as "Floaty" as the Gen1 model after a while.
I think it can only be experienced by taking a test dive, to be honest.
I reset the trip and did a little town work, then hit the dual carriageway.
Varying the speed from around 55 and up to 70 Mph.
Car in the default mode of Normal / Regen level 3.
Covered about 25 ish miles in terrible weather conditions.
The car was returning 3.9 - 4.0 M/kwh with HVAC set a about 24 degrees.
I did find that when pulling away, the "Go" pedal was a little less responsive than the Gen1 model.
Was this intended to reduce wheel spin I wonder ?.
There is also a lack of motor whine while travelling at a steady 28 Mph as in the Gen1 model as well.
Accelerating quickly up to speed, in order to merge onto the dual carriageway travelling at a restricted 50Mph - I could not hear any electric motor whine either.
If travelling at around 55 Mph and you want to pass somebody quickly, If you then hit the "Go" pedal firmly, you can just hear the motor spin up as the speed increases.
I would say the cabin noise in high winds, is about the same as the Gen1 model really.
95% of the issues raised by the Gen1 model owners, have been attended to very well.
Voice command button on the steering wheel, can be used to control the sky roof and the climate control.
I could not get it to commend open the side windows.
Unable to try the Sat Nav for commend functions sorry !.
In a nut shell, did I like it - YES !.
P.S. - It's of no importance to some folks, but it does charge with the car unlocked !.
I plugged in the car to the dealers wall box when I returned and left it unlocked first.
It started charging straight away, then I looked up the car with the remote.

Just got back from testing the new ZS EV at Chorley Group Burnley, have to say I'm impressed, and could really tell the difference in the motor and the handling, the new infotainment system is leaps ahead of the old one and all in all an excellent car, thanks to Mike and Johnny @ Chorley group and @MilesperkWh advice on his Nissan Leaf 10 demonstrator, which we ended up buying for my wife! Finally an all electric family!!
20211127_132158.jpg
20211127_132222.jpg
20211127_132208.jpg
20211127_132142.jpg
20211127_132143.jpg
20211127_132230.jpg
20211127_132239.jpg

Had a test drive in the new ZS EV. Not much difference in the drive but road noise seems quieter. Maybe the weight of the vehicle is why. I asked if the new dash could be changed to a different visual but as the car had only come in that day the salesman was not sure.

Had a Test Drive in the new ZS EV this week. It drove very similar but I felt the road noise was quieter, maybe due to the heavier batteries. I did ask the salesman if the dashboard view could be changed but as the car had only arrived that morning he was unsure. They are getting back to me.

Had a Test Drive in the new ZS EV this week. It drove very similar but I felt the road noise was quieter, maybe due to the heavier batteries. I did ask the salesman if the dashboard view could be changed but as the car had only arrived that morning he was unsure. They are getting back to me.
You can flick between different information on the screen with the left and right arrow buttons on the right side of the steering wheel. You can't change where the speed and power displays are though like on some other cars.

Is it possible that you just get the "free trial" mode until you enter some details? Or at least "confirm" the subscription?
Definitely a possibility. Suppose we'll have to wait for someone to receive one to properly find out. Finding it hard to justify the £500 for the connect. Not too bad for a "lifetime" data connection but you need to be using that connection. I wouldn't use Amazon music unless it came with the car and even then probably just radio, the weather is pretty useless and traffic only mildly of use. If it gave something like the status of chargers and ability to connect to the charging apps to confirm charges then that would be a different story.

Definitely a possibility. Suppose we'll have to wait for someone to receive one to properly find out. Finding it hard to justify the £500 for the connect. Not too bad for a "lifetime" data connection but you need to be using that connection. I wouldn't use Amazon music unless it came with the car and even then probably just radio, the weather is pretty useless and traffic only mildly of use. If it gave something like the status of chargers and ability to connect to the charging apps to confirm charges then that would be a different story.
I believe you get a free trial, but for the full Amazon Music you need an Amazon Music account and subscription.

Thanks @Lovemyev ! I'm hoping so too! I'm a bit nervous as the EV Database estimates highway range - cold as 160 miles (MG ZS EV Long Range). After a 12 hour day I don't fancy pushing a shiny new ZS EV the last 24 miles down the A14!
How reliable is the EV Database? They are quoting much lower ranges (230 vs 273) on vehicles that have not even got to the dealers until the week just gone. I test drove a new 72Kw model and back-calculated the total mileage and it was 270.

Just got back from testing the new ZS EV at Chorley Group Burnley, have to say I'm impressed, and could really tell the difference in the motor and the handling, the new infotainment system is leaps ahead of the old one and all in all an excellent car, thanks to Mike and Johnny @ Chorley group and @MilesperkWh advice on his Nissan Leaf 10 demonstrator, which we ended up buying for my wife! Finally an all electric family!!
View attachment 5784View attachment 5785View attachment 5786View attachment 5787View attachment 5788View attachment 5789View attachment 5790
Hi,
I drove this one too, I think it was not the connect version, am I right? Me and @Lovemyev would like to know (from the other thread) as I know it had the voice control button on the steering wheel to open the sunroof by voice etc. I only had a very brief drive as the weather was extremely poor and Burnley gridlocked. Very nice though. Rear ended on the way home by a tailgater with bald tyres.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_152546.jpg
    IMG_20211128_152546.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 225
Hi,
I drove this one too, I think it was not the connect version, am I right? Me and @Lovemyev would like to know (from the other thread) as I know it had the voice control button on the steering wheel to open the sunroof by voice etc. I only had a very brief drive as the weather was extremely poor and Burnley gridlocked. Very nice though. Rear ended on the way home by a tit with bald tyres.
Thanks.
I am going out on a limb here folks.
I think the car you tested at Burley WAS a I.Connect model and not the standard Trophy model.
But truely, I would love to be proven wrong.
Why ?.
Well because Miles did say on the Monday night pod cast, that all of the Trophy models they had block factory ordered ( fifty ) WHERE ordered as top spec Trophy I.Connect models.
At this point not even Miles had any idea of the difference between Trophy and Trophy I.Connect.
So, they just pulled the trigger on the top spec models.
Now, that's not to say that the Demo model that MG sent to Burley WAS a standard Trophy model.
But most of the other dealers APPEAR to have Trophy I.Connect versions.
Just to say, that ALL models will have the voice command button on the steering wheel.
What functions it has the ability to control, is the important factor here.
The original Gen1 ZS EV has the voice button, but it functions are extremely limited.
But it still has a button !.
The car needs to be carrying the correct amount of hardware and software from the factory to support FULL command functions.
We already know if you order a standard Trophy, it can NOT be upgraded to full i.connect functionality at a latter date.
It is MORE than a simple software upgrade.
Without full details between both Trophy and Trophy I.Connect it very difficult to make a choice.
It's a complete gamble of what you get and what you don't get, for the extra £500.

The models we have received as demonstrators are both Trophy Connect. I've not yet had the opportunity to link a phone to it to test it all out (I've been working at various other branches, and not had access to the MG ZS yet). I'm due to get the car tomorrow (Tuesday) evening, so will look to test out a few things then.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom