MG4 doesn't save driving mode!?

@Steve Nug LKA is fine on motorways and A roads, where lane markings are clearly defined. The issue comes more on B roads and other roads where the markings are less clear, or where there have been road repairs and the overbanding is shining, or when going through roadworks - the LKA can easily get confused. :)
I live in Norfolk. No motorways, carp A roads, lots of B and unclassified roads. LKA is a menace at best and outright dangerous at worst.

See, I’m not so sure about this now. The MG ZS has sticky settings for LKA, FCA, RCA, sign recognition (which is a joke as mine insists I live in a 20mph world), they stay where you put them. I think that vehicle is also NCAP5 rated, so, surely what’s good for one should be good for the other. This is driving me crazy! Bloody thing nearly launched me through the wind screen a week or so ago with the second emergency brake with ZERO vehicles or, well, anything being closer than 100m away other than a lamp post about 20m from me. WTH! I really must get my dash cam refitted so I can use the recordings as evidence. I love my Trophy, no range anxiety, quiet, serene driving but utterly lacking in common sense settings. So frustrating.
But the ZS EV was NCAP rated in 2019 ... back then these "Driver Assist" systems were optional, at least the stickiness (default on) of them was; in 2022 they became mandatory to default on (unless the car supported driver profiles), so any car rated after April (?) 2022 had to have them default on to get a 5-star rating.

But the ZS EV was NCAP rated in 2019 ... back then these "Driver Assist" systems were optional, at least the stickiness (default on) of them was; in 2022 they became mandatory to default on (unless the car supported driver profiles), so any car rated after April (?) 2022 had to have them default on to get a 5-star rating.
Aw carp! I was going to launch into the dealer yet again. sigh

Maybe I have found a way to disable lane keep and front collision.
I have Trophy gen. 1 and R46
I have tested it 6 times today and it still works.
I proceed as follows:
  • Unlock car and get in
  • Wait till all screens are on and press brake pedal
  • switch off lane keep
  • switch off front collision
  • switch ON towing mode
  • start driving
I than park the car, get out and lock the car.
Do my thing and unlock the car, get in and wait till all screens are on, press the brake pedal I than get a warning message and accept (in Dutch in my case}
Both lka and front collision stay off and towing mode is also on.
Hopefully this works as well for others.

Attachments

• IMG_20231106_125757753_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231106_125757753_HDR.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20231106_125837336_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231106_125837336_HDR.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 92
I proceed as follows:
  • Unlock car and get in
  • switch off lane keep
  • switch ON towing mode
  • start driving
Do my thing and unlock the car, get in and wait till all screens are on, press the brake pedal I than get a warning message and accept (in Dutch in my case}
Yeah, I was gonna suggest the Towing mode, but that will not solve the driving comfort reset issue. I'm still shocked after three weeks, and try to process it... WHY???
MG erased the stop/start button for convenience... I love it. Then introduced the "set to default everything" feature, so the driver must spend twice as much (perhaps three or more) time to set the comfort features to the desired level. What if, I forgot something? What if I set something accidentally wrong? The argument, regarding "what if the next driver has different expectation" well, I think large proportion of the user of these (maybe any other) cars mostly the same person. So I would rather stick with the title of the thread, without the question mark:

"MG4 doesn't save driving mode!"​

Maybe the webmaster can move my post to the correct thread.
No, it's not about that, it's about to agree, using driving modes and various comfort features, is rather inconvenient, and better to look at this car, which has no driving modes... We all try to work around it, but the only solution is in the hands of the manufacturer... Until then we (I) will keep revving about these.

I proceed as follows:
  • Unlock car and get in
  • switch off lane keep
  • switch ON towing mode
  • start driving
So, I tried this today and guess what… MarcS… I LOVE YOU! It actually just bloody works! Man, I am so happy I could just poop! Thank you MarcS. Please, please, please, nobody tell MG about this. Happy little sailor here 😆
1699369402980.png

I proceed as follows:
  • Unlock car and get in
  • switch off lane keep
  • switch ON towing mode
  • start driving
You are my new favourite person 😁

Tow mode will also disable the rear parking sensors - just so you know. :)
I’m happy with that. I’m old school, the only thing I trust to tell me how far I am from the wall is me using my Mk1 eyeball. I love new technology, love what it can do and what it helps with. Except driving. It can never achieve the same as me in driving standards. I take pride in my driving, it just reads sensors and sometimes not very well.

Confession. I like the rear parking sensors. A lot.
Agree.
The other day, backing out of parking space, in the rain, slim tall brown post behind the car, not visible in any of the rear view mirrors.

I was backing out slowly because of the foul weather and limited visibility, had the rear sensor going off at me and I couldn't see what the problem was, I though stopped to check a couple times as I thought it maybe was a child passing by!

Last night I was reversing to turn out of a friend's driveway, with other cars limiting my manoeuvre and a nasty drop on one side. I thought I was clear but I suddenly heard that beep and saw a red warning, and slammed on the brake. Happened again on my second pass, and then I had enough space to get clear. I have no idea what I didn't hit, but I'm pretty grateful for the sensors. It was dark, and God only knows what was lying around.

Tow mode will also disable the rear parking sensors - just so you know. :)
I assume the camera still works though? Hmmm shame about disabling the rear parking sensors, almost had a good solution there to permanently disable the LKA and FCA , will have to weigh up what's most important I guess..

I honestly don't see what's so hard about turning LKA off before you get going that it needs all these shenanigans. Sure, I'd prefer not to have to do it, but we are where we are.

This has come up before, unfortunately I think you also lose the blind spot warning, rear cross traffic warning and rear collision warning (this last one no great loss tbh).

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel