MG4 doesn't save driving mode!?

Ooooh! Anyone know if this works with MG4s? I’m happy to play with this if I can have my car, my way and not be dictated to by NCAP, MG or the government. I’m such a rebel! 🤣

Having a car that can use OBD11 (eleven, not two) is great fun.
So far I’ve switched LKA to ‘remember last setting’, which is obviously off.
In itself worth every damn penny of the £50
I’ve also set the rear lights to ‘Scandinavian’, which means they stay on all the time, and changed the ‘quick flick’ indicators to 4 flashes instead of three.

Will it though?
Does it require a certain amount of access to the software from the manufacturer?
Along the lines of intelligent Octopus, which we know MG aren’t helping with?
There is already something that will enable auto window closing/opening with the remote. It speaks standard ODB2, so it should be doable, depending on the capabilities of the MG system.

The bigger issue is actually liability, which is why the likes of ODB11 are partnerships with the makers (as well as to improve the tech). But no doubt there will be Chinese providers (with no warranty) offering to reprogram the MG4 before long (if they are not already).

I’ve also set the rear lights to ‘Scandinavian’, which means they stay on all the time, and changed the ‘quick flick’ indicators to 4 flashes instead of three.
I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!!

Is it easy to do? Collecting new car tomorrow and I know the LKA being on unless I remember everytime to turn it off will pish me off!

If it's any consolation, I usually realise I've forgotten to switch it off when I notice that the LKA symbol on the driver's screen is white instead of yellow. At that stage I can usually switch it off on the central screen on the fly without having to pull over to do it, before it actually pulls my wheel.

Is it easy to do? Collecting new car tomorrow and I know the LKA being on unless I remember everytime to turn it off will pish me off!

Oh, I just realised what you were replying to. Bowfer was referring to his new car, a Cupra Born (which he liked a lot better than he liked his MG4), not to the MG4 itself.

And as Rip Van pointed out, he's not in a position to reply to you.

Got my trophy yesterday and yes I've realised it resets the drive and regen mode each time, very annoying and I don't understand what the reasoning would be behind that as they're not 'safety' features. So what's the best way of making this slicker? I take it there's no shortcut to changing the regen mode?

Unfortunately not as easy as some other cars. You need to enter a menu and press a few buttons on the infotainment screen. Mine even comes up with a small pop up to confirm I want to disable it !!. It's the same with One Pedal Drive (OPD) (except no pop up warning), so for me I have a startup ritual of going through the menus and changing to my desired settings.

My wife is always in such a rush to get to work in a morning it's going to seriously annoy her having to wait for the system to boot up and go into the menus to change the settings as I want her to (turn LKA and FCA off). Better that though than it e.g slam the brakes on and someone run into the back of her.

Yes it is annoying - the requirement comes from NCAP (to default to all assistance systems on each time in order to get a high safety rating). The logic is that the car can't know who will drive it next and that person may expect the assistance systems to be on, so we'd better default to all on.

MG have not implemented a convenient way to switch back off again - eg a select-user switch which cycles through custom user profiles.

It's the biggest gripe people have, so hopefully they will make it easier - at a minimum be able to save these as part of 'custom' and a button click to switch to that.

I have had my MY 23 SE SR since last Saturday, I can honestly say that I don't find LKA a problem at all. As other posts have said it does turn off and on at around 40 mph. I tried going close to and over a line marking with LKA in medium. I got a beep as I touched the line and a very gentle pull as I crossed. Certainly not the trying to kill pull that others have noticed. I assume that as time has gone on software updates have toned the aggressiveness down! Absolutely loving the car!!

@Steve Nug LKA is fine on motorways and A roads, where lane markings are clearly defined. The issue comes more on B roads and other roads where the markings are less clear, or where there have been road repairs and the overbanding is shining, or when going through roadworks - the LKA can easily get confused. :)

Yes it is annoying - the requirement comes from NCAP (to default to all assistance systems on each time in order to get a high safety rating). The logic is that the car can't know who will drive it next and that person may expect the assistance systems to be on, so we'd better default to all on.

MG have not implemented a convenient way to switch back off again - eg a select-user switch which cycles through custom user profiles.

It's the biggest gripe people have, so hopefully they will make it easier - at a minimum be able to save these as part of 'custom' and a button click to switch to that.
See, I’m not so sure about this now. The MG ZS has sticky settings for LKA, FCA, RCA, sign recognition (which is a joke as mine insists I live in a 20mph world), they stay where you put them. I think that vehicle is also NCAP5 rated, so, surely what’s good for one should be good for the other. This is driving me crazy! Bloody thing nearly launched me through the wind screen a week or so ago with the second emergency brake with ZERO vehicles or, well, anything being closer than 100m away other than a lamp post about 20m from me. WTH! I really must get my dash cam refitted so I can use the recordings as evidence. I love my Trophy, no range anxiety, quiet, serene driving but utterly lacking in common sense settings. So frustrating.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back